Ryzen 9 3900X, ASRock X570 ITX/TB3, Sapphire RX 5500 Pulse, Catalina

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I removed the note as plugged on USB devices can cause sleep issues in any port in my experience, especially USB 2 devices. When I left the note I suspected the presence of the controller itself as a cause of issues which turned out to be false.

marp

AMD OS X Member
Interesting tidbit on Aleksandar's blog about network fixes: https://aplus.rs/2020/opencore-network-audio/

He mentions swapping the network card to make it "act and work as native Apple hardware" albeit, you revert back down a version of WiFi and BT. Not a new concept in hackintoshing I know, but some specific peices of hardware and his steps are clearly documented for anyone with this specific motherboard who are interested in exploring other options. He goes through two methods:

1) using Broadcom BCM94360CD card with an adapter and a riser for seamless out-of-the-box function - I'm not sure how he physically routes the riser and antennae once it is mounted in the case, but it should produce a cleaner look compared to the sharkfin antenna that comes with the motherboard
2) getting older Broadcom chips that are physically identical and programming functionality with kexts and the like

He also gives a nod towards people creating kexts to get the stock card working. These were probably not completed when he did his build and posted it.

Intriguing to say the least, he doesn't mention specifically what does and doesn't work, but when discussing option 2, he talks about Apple Watch unlock not really working although it says otherwise, which makes me believe he got pretty far.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I don’t know why he didn’t mention the BCM94360NG. It is often recommended as a replacement that is supported by MacOS without the need for additional kexts. And since it has the same size as the AX200 you can just replace the card without any issues. It just costs a little more due to this, but paying 20 bucks more for a seamless integration is reasonable.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Today ASRock released a new BIOS 2.60 with latest AGESA V2 1.0.8.0. So far not much changed and everything seems working as before.

rupeshoo7

AMD OS X Member
Alright, I chose to feel free to introduce my new motherboard that came yesterday, an ASRock X570 Creator. I utilized your EFI and rolled out certain improvements to the SMBIOS sections. The kid was I astonished when I saw the White Apple and the advancement bar moving exceptionally quick. My solitary issue is USB 2. They don't appear to work. USB 3 does. I needed to scramble around attempting to connect the two most significant USB gadgets that I expected to utilize. On occasion, I had utilization of a mouse yet no console except for I oversaw. So I'm completely marked into my Apple ID and I currently have a 2019 MacPro7,1. I have to get Thunderbolt 3 working as well. That is imperative.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You'd need to fix the SSDT-XHC for your board and create a matching USBPorts.kext since you have a completely different board than mine.

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
Hi, as I read the specs of this board the M.2 is on the back - do you have any heatsing on NVME, if yes what and how much space you have for that? A photo would be awesome. thanks!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Potato007 That largely depends on the case used. In my Shift the GPU is mounted behind the motherboard and the mounting conflicts a little with the heatsink.
I had to cut 2 of the fins to fit it in:

93D532E9-C7B9-47E8-9839-98B1A25CDA4F.jpeg

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
thank you very much!
Another question: have you tried virtualisation via Parallels Desktop or vmware?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Parallels I did not test as past versions are using unsupported instructions, VMware Fusion 10 was working. I only really used VirtualBox to install first beta of BigSur though.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I don’t know why he didn’t mention the BCM94360NG. It is often recommended as a replacement that is supported by MacOS without the need for additional kexts. And since it has the same size as the AX200 you can just replace the card without any issues. It just costs a little more due to this, but paying 20 bucks more for a seamless integration is reasonable.

I did not mention because I did not know about it, at the time. Now I do :)

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I noticed in HWInfo under Windows that at least the latest BIOS behaves bad when the Infinity Fabric is set to AUTO. With a DRAM clock of 1600 MHz, the Infinity Fabric was running at 1500 MHz and the DRAM controller at 800 MHz. This increases the latency unnecessarily, desirable is a 1:1:1 ratio.
Only setting the IF manually yielded a 1600 MHz Infinity Fabric clock and 1600 MHz DRAM controller clock.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
@Aluveitie Hello there, checking back in here. I've been happily using my dual boot system that I was inspired to pull the trigger on when I saw you (and others) have had success! So far no issues for me using BIOS version 2.00 and my experience has been great so far. Haven't really seen a need to update to the latest, but I'm ever the tinkerer. Sounds like I might want to hold off anyway.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@ovenlite1 I never looked at this metric on older BIOS versions. Could you check with HWInfo if the infinity fabric matches the memory clock? Btw, you'd need at least 2.60 to run Zen 3 on this board.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just finished updating to the latest BIOS 2.70. Everything is still working.

ASRock was busy and didn't only update the AGESA but also seems to have reacted to my feedback. Quite a lot of features were added or added back. Uncore can now be disabled same as Above 4G decoding. Also you can now set the frequency per CCX, allowing to apply determined by Ryzen Clock Tuner to optimize performance.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just finished updating to the latest BIOS 2.70. Everything is still working.

ASRock was busy and didn't only update the AGESA but also seems to have reacted to my feedback. Quite a lot of features were added or added back. Uncore can now be disabled same as Above 4G decoding. Also you can now set the frequency per CCX, allowing to apply determined by Ryzen Clock Tuner to optimize performance.
Wait - they brought "Above 4G Decoding" back?

It was missing in 2.60 and I pestered their tech support to bring it back. They essentially told me "it is what it is, we only support Win 10".

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yep, the also brought back the per CCX frequency option and an auto setting for uncore I requested some time ago.
The conversation I had with their tech support was more constructive and he said he'll forward my suggestion to their developers. I'm pleasantly surprised to find 2.70 with a lot more options.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yep, the also brought back the per CCX frequency option and an auto setting for uncore I requested some time ago.
The conversation I had with their tech support was more constructive and he said he'll forward my suggestion to their developers. I'm pleasantly surprised to find 2.70 with a lot more options.
Yeah, I had a similar impression that tech people I got responses from were genuinely interested why the hell was that option so crucial to me. :)

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
BIOS 2.71 works too, seems to have no other changes than the latest AGESA patch.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.