Ryzen 7 3700X, Gigabyte Aorus X570i Pro Wifi, Sapphire RX590 Nitro+, Catalina 15.4, OC 0.57, Win 10 Dual Boot

rx3700

AMD OS X Member
zt1xPHY.jpg

Setup:
Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X570i PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism
GPU: Sapphire RX590 Nitro+ OC
Memory: GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600Mhz CL16
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M2 500GB, 1000GB EVO 860 (Win10)
Case: NZXT H210

MacOS: 10.15.4
OpenCore: 0.5.7
SMBIOS: MacPro7,1

BIOS: F12e
  • Loaded Optimized Defaults
  • Activated XMP profile
  • Disabled CSM Support
  • Enabled Above 4G Decoding
Kexts:
AppleALC, Lilu, SmallTreeIntel82576, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen, MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler

Working
GPU, Ethernet, USB, Front-USB (USB-C not tested)
DRM, iMessage, Appstore
Audio (DisplayPort Audio & Internal)
BT (shows up, but not tested)
Win10 Dual-Boot using OC Picker

Not working
Sleep (don't really care, it boots really quick)
Wifi (obviously)

Installation Process
  • Installed Win10 on the EVO860 and unplugged it.
  • Followed the Dortania Guide to setup my first own EFI: https://desktop.dortania.ml/
  • Installed MacOS on the EVO960 - did run through on the first attempt, all pretty straight forward
  • Plugged the EVO860 back in, and voila: DUAL BOOT. No Bootcamp needed.
If you want to dualboot from OC Picker, it turns out doing things in the above order seems quite important.
Windows10 will mess with your OC EFI at some point otherwise.

Post Install
I am using MountEFI and Propertree to edit the config.plist, works like a charm, no Clover needed:
https://github.com/corpnewt/MountEFI

For those who care, some Benchmarks:
4923cb in Cinebench R20
2197cb in Cinebench R15
107FPS in Cinebench R15
9236 MCS in Geekbench5 (1287 SC)

Overall
If this would go to sleep and came in a fancy case, you wouldn't know its not a MacPro. Absolutely no problems whatsoever after a month working on it. Setup was pretty straight forward with the new Desktop Guide, figuring out Win10 Dual Boot took the most time.
Thanks to everyone who is making this possible.

Update(s) & Tipps
  • Shutdown wasn't working as long as the Wraith Prism CPU Cooler was connected to the internal USB. The connection is not necessary, you can disconnect it once you've disabled/set the LEDs in Windows. Or get a decent cooler in the first place.
  • The correct layout to get internal sound running turned out to be 2. Added alcid=2 to my boot-args and thats it.
  • One of the RX590s BIOS options (the Nitro+ has a dual bios) is resetting the disabled CSM Support, just use the other one when this happens

UPDATE AFTER SWITCHING TO BIG SUR
  • Sleep works!

Last edited:

AdrienVig

AMD OS X Member
Hey !

Great work!

Do you think you could share your EFI ? I'm on a similar config (3950x) and I'm getting stuck in boot... I'd like to compare my Plist and EFI to know where I'm sucking :)

Already try the sanity checker, nothing...

Thanks !!

rx3700

AMD OS X Member
Its really ALL defaults except the very few things I mention above, so I'd recommend to start from scratch and go carefully through all the steps in the guide. Which is mainly comparing two lists anyways.

(I really don't think EFIs should be shared. It takes only an hour to set up your own and I have seen too many people running into problems down the line because they have just copied someones EFI despite the fact that they use different hardware...)

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.