Ryzen 7 3700X | Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ | Catalina

markusdresch

AMD OS X Member
Holy Mother of who ever you want, this took me about 3 days and i still don't really know what happened. It's up and running!

I built a new PC because my MBP early 2011 was giving up on it's discreet GPU, it still works after all this time but it's just not as fun anymore. So I read up on the latest hackintosh stuff (which I haven't touched in about 15 years, and believe me, stuff has changed) and bought the hardware I thought would run without a problem - especially after seeing that Ryzentosh is a thing now and I kinda fell in love with that (can't exactly tell you why).

Built the PC (first I supidly used a MSI board that literally [yes, literally in the literal sense] went up in smoke, then I replaced it with an Aorus Elite which is just everything I ever wanted), tried to put Win10 on it for starters, Win10 didn't recognize the NVMe SSD, so the story started. Found a SSD I had laying around, saw that it still got some Win8.1 install on it, upgraded it to Win10 and cloned it over to the NVMe.

Next step was to install OSX or macOS as it's called now. Read some tutorials and tried to follow them to the point, just to see failure after failure. Some people on this forum were kind enough to share their EFIs with pretty much the same hardware, but still failure. After copying stuff around and much trial and more error, I finally saw a Open Core screen, then after more trial and error the apple logo, and even after more trial and error I got into the installation. Couldn't get over the "Internet needed" message though, until I found another forum post that mentioned a "SmallTreeIntel82576.kext" which I added (along with the whole GenSMC or whatever it's called procedure etc.) and finally I got the macOS installer to start. Went to bed after that.

Woke up today, no macOS. Booted the bootstick again, saw the apple logo, told me to wait for 13 minutes, then it rebooted and after that booting the bootstick or the macOS SSD just didn't work, popping up some funny ACPI sleep error. So I went ahead and installed Ubuntu on yet another drive I had laying around and saw that the macOS SSD was formatted correctly with an EFI partition and an HFS+ partition, but the HFS+ partition still hat only some installer data on it.

You won't believe what happend next (and I really can't tell you why): in Ubuntu I copied over the EFI directory (yes, the complete directory, not only the contents) of my bootstick to the EFI partition of the macOS SSD. Rebooted and the installer finished. And here I am, on Catalina with no front USBs, but everything else so far working as far as i can tell.

SETUP
Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570
Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair Vengeance 3200 2x16GB
Crucial 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+
be.quiet case and power supply (600)

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 14.48.49.png
Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 14.49.30.png

Still getting some strange error about too much memory, but it shows up everywhere correctly.

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 14.52.00.png

I attached my EFI (with XXXed out UUID etc) for anyone going down the same road

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:

foek

AMD OS X Member
Holy Mother of who ever you want, this took me about 3 days and i still don't really know what happened. It's up and running!

I built a new PC because my MBP early 2011 was giving up on it's discreet GPU, it still works after all this time but it's just not as fun anymore. So I read up on the latest hackintosh stuff (which I haven't touched in about 15 years, and believe me, stuff has changed) and bought the hardware I thought would run without a problem - especially after seeing that Ryzentosh is a thing now and I kinda fell in love with that (can't exactly tell you why).

Built the PC (first I supidly used a MSI board that literally [yes, literally in the literal sense] went up in smoke, then I replaced it with an Aorus Elite which is just everything I ever wanted), tried to put Win10 on it for starters, Win10 didn't recognize the NVMe SSD, so the story started. Found a SSD I had laying around, saw that it still got some Win8.1 install on it, upgraded it to Win10 and cloned it over to the NVMe.

Next step was to install OSX or macOS as it's called now. Read some tutorials and tried to follow them to the point, just to see failure after failure. Some people on this forum were kind enough to share their EFIs with pretty much the same hardware, but still failure. After copying stuff around and much trial and more error, I finally saw a Open Core screen, then after more trial and error the apple logo, and even after more trial and error I got into the installation. Couldn't get over the "Internet needed" message though, until I found another forum post that mentioned a "SmallTreeIntel82576.kext" which I added (along with the whole GenSMC or whatever it's called procedure etc.) and finally I got the macOS installer to start. Went to bed after that.

Woke up today, no macOS. Booted the bootstick again, saw the apple logo, told me to wait for 13 minutes, then it rebooted and after that booting the bootstick or the macOS SSD just didn't work, popping up some funny ACPI sleep error. So I went ahead and installed Ubuntu on yet another drive I had laying around and saw that the macOS SSD was formatted correctly with an EFI partition and an HFS+ partition, but the HFS+ partition still hat only some installer data on it.

You won't believe what happend next (and I really can't tell you why): in Ubuntu I copied over the EFI directory (yes, the complete directory, not only the contents) of my bootstick to the EFI partition of the macOS SSD. Rebooted and the installer finished. And here I am, on Catalina with no front USBs, but everything else so far working as far as i can tell.

SETUP
Ryzen 7 3700X
Crucial 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD

View attachment 65
View attachment 54

Still getting some strange error about too much memory, but it shows up everywhere correctly.

View attachment 55

SETUP
Ryzen 7 3700X
Crucial 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD

View attachment 65
View attachment 54

View attachment 55

If you add "MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler.kext" to your EFI, the error won't show up again.

markusdresch

AMD OS X Member
thanks a lot! now if i'd get front usb to work, it would be perfect. interestingly i started the installer from front usb, but nothing is recognized now. maybe that's part of the problems i had afterwards.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
thanks a lot! now if i'd get front usb to work, it would be perfect. interestingly i started the installer from front usb, but nothing is recognized now. maybe that's part of the problems i had afterwards.

You have the same board I have. Try replacing your ACPI folder with mine and see how things are. For the front panel headers I use USB 1 and USB3 1.
P.S. Is sleep working for you?

Attachments

• ACPI.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 21

markusdresch

AMD OS X Member
@foek the kext removed the warning in the memory tab of "about this mac", but not the startup notification (doesn't annoy me too much though). After another restart the notification is gone as well.

@Bansaku lovely! front USB works now. The ones that were missing from my folder were SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml.

As for sleep, no it does not work anymore, after adding those *.aml files. Before it had some weird behavior: When first starting up and send to sleep, it didn't wake up. After hard resetting sleep worked without a problem. It does not matter too much to me, but I'll keep tinkering later.

Last edited:

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
As for sleep, no it does not work anymore, after adding those *.aml files. Before it had some weird behavior: When first starting up and send to sleep, it didn't wake up. After hard resetting sleep worked without a problem. It does not matter too much to me, but I'll keep tinkering later.

I am confused. You say sleep is broken, yet you say that after a hard-reset sleep works as normal?

Edit: Do you use RGB at all?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.