Ryzen 7 3700X | Asus B450-F Strix | RX580 | Catalina 10.15.4 | OC 0.5.8 (Continuity and ApplePay support)

neon-midnight

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone! I've been really impressed by the information available and the ability to build a AMD hack in 2020. Especially with OC the experience is really good and as a dev I'm really liking the declarative and explicit nature of the configuration process because I can diff config plists and have consistent behaviour from setup to setup.

This has been my third attempt to move to macOS and at last it looks like I'm here to say :) Please find the build details below and let me know if you have any questions.

Note on Handoff, Continuity and ApplePay: Even before getting Fenvi card, call forwarding was working and SMS were syncing via iCloud sync albeit with a significant delay. Once I got Wifi and Bluetooth working, continuity and handoff were refusing to start working until I relogged to iCloud and then twice relogged to Apple ID account with resettin NVRAM in between the attempts. At last, my iPhone 6 was also explicitly paired via Bluetooth. As for ApplePay, it was quite unexpected but against all odds I was presented with an option to pay with it on Dominos and it actually worked :D

HW:
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard: Asus B450-F Strix
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • Graphics: Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 4GB
  • Storage: ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB for macOS and Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB for Windows
  • Networking: Intel I211 Gigabit Ethernet + Fenvi FV-HB1200 Wifi+Bluetooth combo
  • Sound: Realtek ALC S1220A
SW:
  • OC: 0.5.8
  • SMBios: MacPro7,1
  • ACPI: Pre-built SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml from Dortania guide
  • EFI drivers:
    • HfsPlus.efi
    • OpenCanopy.efi (for GUI boot menu)
    • OpenRuntime.efi (OpenCore)
  • Kexts:
    • AppleALC.kext
    • AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext
    • Lilu.kext
    • MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler.kext
    • NVMeFix.kext
    • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
    • SMCAMDProcessor.kext (it gives 3-10% performance penalty in both ST and MT workloads so I'm not sacrificing those and by-default power management already utilises all freq boost and powersave modes, I had some issues where the kext was actually causing higher power consumption so it looks like just the stock behaviour is the best one out there)
    • VirtualSMC.kext
    • WhateverGreen.kext
  • Boot args: keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 npci=0x3000

The Good:
  • Everything! No, really, if you don't count sleep that is :D
  • Handoff, Continuity and Instant hotspot (it took me a while to get this one working, continuity is kinda neat but equally useless in my workflow but I still wanted the "native" experience)
  • ApplePay (remote activation on iPhone 6)
  • XCode (plus Simulator) and VirtualBox work really well. On VBox I'm using virtio-net driver for bridged access to my LAN and the performance can saturate 1Gbit link without a problem
  • CPU performance is impressively good. See GB5 results below
  • GPU acceleration works too including Metal and HEVC acceleration (it is janky but I don't watch HEVC videos so ¯\(ツ)/¯)
  • Gaming performance is acceptable but could be better - enough for League of Legends and Divinity Original Sin (not enough for Divinity Original Sin 2)
  • General system responsiveness is comparable or better than Windows
The Bad:
  • Sleep doesn't work because I'm using the default workaround for USB port limit provided by OpenCore and since my workstation runs 24/7 and is quite silent I'm just too lazy to get it fixed :D
  • HEVC playback is janky as mentioned above (stuttering on every keyframe(?)), I don't need it but for someone who does this might be a problem. On the other hand the CPU is sufficient for SW decoding so might be non-issue too
  • Obviously, HyperKit-based virtualisation features are unavailable
  • Crossover doesn't work (at least for the apps I tried to use)
The Ugly:
  • Weird ass GPU performance problems where OpenCL/Metal results are quite low compared to what I'm seeing on this forum (see benchmarks). So far I think I've tried everything including but not limited to using different WEG boot args, forcing PCIE 3.0 link speed, flashing different GPU BIOSes, trying AGPMInjector and RadeonBoost kexts, etc. However, do note that in Windows the GB5 performance is as equally problematic with OpenCL far exceeding Vulkan so the issue might be with my GPU specifically. At this point it doesn't matter since I'm getting a used Vega 56 because it is dirt cheap for the RX 5600 XT/5700 level of performance at the cost of power usage
  • Need to reboot to Windows to play Star Citizen :(

Benchmarks:

Attachments

• applepay.jpg
    applepay.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
For your GPU results, try the RadeonBoost.kext that should give the Metal score a good boost.

neon-midnight

AMD OS X Member
Oh, it looks like I missed mentioning it. Alas it didn't help at all :c Lets hope it's not a motherboard issue and changing the GPU will fix it.

DarthWeber

AMD OS X Member
Congratulations! I look forward to write a success Story too, if I will eventually fix my boot issue after install. Going on Ryzen 7 then and yes I am really hyped. Hoping that I'll fix my boot issue

paganin

AMD OS X Member
Ive been trying and gpus in hackintosh are not the same. I have rx590 and the results are better but about 15-20% less than on windows. F.e. In LOL 90-100fps vs 140

mjgha

AMD OS X Member
Do let us know if you have a solution for the crossover problem. Doesnt seem to work on my build either.

neon-midnight

AMD OS X Member
Do let us know if you have a solution for the crossover problem. Doesnt seem to work on my build either.

So, Wine (and Crossover) in fact does work. Obviously, it is exclusively 64bit and any application that has any 32bit code in it will not work at all. I'm looking into compiling the latest wine with 64bit and MoltenVK support to see if there's any chance of using it to run games with DKVX if necessary. Installing wine-devel via brew gets me a 32bit Wine Devel.app so far hence the need to compile manually.

Slash

AMD OS X Member
In my first build i used intel i5 9600k with rx580 and everything was good, in tests, in game. Now i am using ryzen 5 3600x with the same gpu and it is a lot of problem with perfomance. In test everything is good but in game FPS is too low, when i resizing window in google chrome while watching video it freezes. Trying a lot of kexts and boost and no one doesnt work.

neon-midnight

AMD OS X Member
In my first build i used intel i5 9600k with rx580 and everything was good, in tests, in game. Now i am using ryzen 5 3600x with the same gpu and it is a lot of problem with perfomance. In test everything is good but in game FPS is too low, when i resizing window in google chrome while watching video it freezes. Trying a lot of kexts and boost and no one doesnt work.
I would suggest checking with https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html (Radeon 400/500 series (Polaris) Highest Supported OS: Current/Catalina section) and then making sure your OpenCore config.plist is set up correctly in accordance to https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/AMD/zen.html (especially kernel patches).
Tl;Dr: RX 580 unless it is XFX or PowerColour should work out-of-box provided Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts are installed and loaded. Remove other GPU-related kext and clear out DeviceProperties settings for your GPU if you configured any.

VenimK

AMD OS X Member
What are your BIOS Settings ?

palxex

AMD OS X Member
So, Wine (and Crossover) in fact does work. Obviously, it is exclusively 64bit and any application that has any 32bit code in it will not work at all. I'm looking into compiling the latest wine with 64bit and MoltenVK support to see if there's any chance of using it to run games with DKVX if necessary. Installing wine-devel via brew gets me a 32bit Wine Devel.app so far hence the need to compile manually.
Hello, could you please let me know how do you using wine/crossover? I'm using wine-crossover from https://github.com/Gcenx/homebrew-wine, it works well on all my intel-based mac include hackintosh, but quite unstable on my ryzentosh. For example a GUI app will show but crash after several seconds, quite randomly.

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
Hello, could you please let me know how do you using wine/crossover? I'm using wine-crossover from https://github.com/Gcenx/homebrew-wine, it works well on all my intel-based mac include hackintosh, but quite unstable on my ryzentosh. For example a GUI app will show but crash after several seconds, quite randomly.
Been trying to use wine and playonmac on ryzentosh. One of the issues is with the SMC. When you run wine it queries the smc for processor info, and it breaks. The smc error message is attached, as well as a few others.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 16.48.43.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 16.48.43.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 16.49.53.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 16.49.53.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 13

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
I compiled according to this guide. It compiled okay but i cannot launch. Details in my reply to palxex

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.