Ryzen 6900HX + RX 6850M XT (Legion 7 2022)

RRadler

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone i am new to Hackintoshes and this forum. This laptop currently is for release in June, it's not out yet but specs are confirmed.
I have only had run MacOS before in a VM with just VESA drivers in an unsupported system just for demonstration it was on an old Intel CPU whatsoever. I have read that ryzen CPUs come with issues in some things that need some patches to fix them(sounds like linux).

What i want to do is to setup a dual boot between MacOS and Windows. All gaming goes to windows and i want to use MacOS for light use such as browsing, imessage, Photoshop(i read there is a fix for ryzens), AirDrop for my iphone, Discord and work such as Microsoft Apps(Word,Excel etc). Yes i know i can do these in just Windows but i just hate windows and i like trying new things.

I am looking forward to buy that laptop to do this, if it's not gonna work i wouldn't wanna buy it. Basically the people that are experienced with Hackintosh and have Ryzen CPUs and such. Hows the experience on it? There aren't really any videos on Youtube just playing around with it only just showcasing it that it works and that's it. Does it work fine day to day life? Apple services? Are there many bugs with ryzen CPUs and many softwares that do not work? After i apply the patches for the things i use is it gonna be a flawless experience with no other bugs and i can trust to put my work on it and have it as a main OS?
Would Wifi, Camera, Microphone, Audio work? or if there are patches at least that i can use then that's fine cause having no wifi then it's a straight no.

Also i was thinking if i wait for the next CPUs and GPUs for laptops and do a hackintosh there but that raises some important questions like: Are there gonna be drivers for the next AMD GPUs? Because to be honest i don't even understand why we have drivers for the current AMD GPUs when Apple Silicon has taken over. And even if there are drivers for the next gen AMD GPUs are the SKUs gonna be the same between laptop and Desktop to be able to make the drivers work for laptops? That's just a huge risk there.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
There is no guarantee that this AMD system will run macOS. While there have been strides taken in another post regarding running macOS on an AMD laptop, it is far from the finished article.

Have a read of this post regarding a Legion 5 laptop.

If you are really interested in running Windows and macOS on a laptop then your best bet is to get a 10-series (Comet Lake) Intel laptop. As it is known to work with both OS's.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone i am new to Hackintoshes and this forum. This laptop currently is for release in June, it's not out yet but specs are confirmed.
I have only had run MacOS before in a VM with just VESA drivers in an unsupported system just for demonstration it was on an old Intel CPU whatsoever. I have read that ryzen CPUs come with issues in some things that need some patches to fix them(sounds like linux).

What i want to do is to setup a dual boot between MacOS and Windows. All gaming goes to windows and i want to use MacOS for light use such as browsing, imessage, Photoshop(i read there is a fix for ryzens), AirDrop for my iphone, Discord and work such as Microsoft Apps(Word,Excel etc). Yes i know i can do these in just Windows but i just hate windows and i like trying new things.

I am looking forward to buy that laptop to do this, if it's not gonna work i wouldn't wanna buy it. Basically the people that are experienced with Hackintosh and have Ryzen CPUs and such. Hows the experience on it? There aren't really any videos on Youtube just playing around with it only just showcasing it that it works and that's it. Does it work fine day to day life? Apple services? Are there many bugs with ryzen CPUs and many softwares that do not work? After i apply the patches for the things i use is it gonna be a flawless experience with no other bugs and i can trust to put my work on it and have it as a main OS?
Would Wifi, Camera, Microphone, Audio work? or if there are patches at least that i can use then that's fine cause having no wifi then it's a straight no.

Also i was thinking if i wait for the next CPUs and GPUs for laptops and do a hackintosh there but that raises some important questions like: Are there gonna be drivers for the next AMD GPUs? Because to be honest i don't even understand why we have drivers for the current AMD GPUs when Apple Silicon has taken over. And even if there are drivers for the next gen AMD GPUs are the SKUs gonna be the same between laptop and Desktop to be able to make the drivers work for laptops? That's just a huge risk there.

It will not work. Mainly because the GPU is the RX 6850xt =NAVI 22 which is based on the Desktop RX 6700 xt and those are not supported in MAc OS. Those GPU's aren't compatible. The only ones compatible are the Navi 21 (6800-6900XT DESKTOP) and the Navi 23 which are the 6600m, 6700s, 6800s.

There is a thread currently trying to get the Legion 5 to work, and it work but currently have some problems. The CPU works under Big Sur, but not under Monterey, although it can boot with one core. The Graphics work fine however.

You can get the Asus Zephyrus g14 with the Ryzen 6900h and the 6800s and technically that one should work

RRadler

AMD OS X Member
Yeah I have read them from Jotoku. In fact I first read it on Reddit which dragged my curiosity and started investigating and then came here. So from my readings this is my theory.

The RX6850 XT if it’s based of the desktop SKU which I hope it is then it would be possible on laptop the same way. Until now from the experiments of Jotoku and the other person with the legion Laptops we know that the RX 6600M does work on Monterey as it has official drivers but have issues with the Ryzen CPU. On Big Sur the Ryzen CPU works completely fine but no GPU drivers.

So if I am not mistaken and if I am please correct, the RX 6800 and RX 6900 variants got driver support from Big Sur and all the way to Monterey. So in theory there are much better chances for the GPU and CPU to fully work there. The Ryzen 6000 Series are basically a refresh of ZEN 3 so they most likely act the same as the 5000 Series. Obviously it’s still a risk. But it sounds as a very interesting experiment and project that has fair chances it’s gonna work

RRadler

AMD OS X Member
It will not work. Mainly because the GPU is the RX 6850xt =NAVI 22 which is based on the Desktop RX 6700 xt and those are not supported in MAc OS. Those GPU's aren't compatible. The only ones compatible are the Navi 21 (6800-6900XT DESKTOP) and the Navi 23 which are the 6600m, 6700s, 6800s.

There is a thread currently trying to get the Legion 5 to work, and it work but currently have some problems. The CPU works under Big Sur, but not under Monterey, although it can boot with one core. The Graphics work fine however.

You can get the Asus Zephyrus g14 with the Ryzen 6900h and the 6800s and technically that one should work
Ah damn it. I expected the RX 6850 XT to be based of the desktop RX 6800 as of the naming numbers. I really like the Lenovo laptops. Damn it

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yeah I have read them from Jotoku. In fact I first read it on Reddit which dragged my curiosity and started investigating and then came here. So from my readings this is my theory.

The RX6850 XT if it’s based of the desktop SKU which I hope it is then it would be possible on laptop the same way. Until now from the experiments of Jotoku and the other person with the legion Laptops we know that the RX 6600M does work on Monterey as it has official drivers but have issues with the Ryzen CPU. On Big Sur the Ryzen CPU works completely fine but no GPU drivers.

So if I am not mistaken and if I am please correct, the RX 6800 and RX 6900 variants got driver support from Big Sur and all the way to Monterey. So in theory there are much better chances for the GPU and CPU to fully work there. The Ryzen 6000 Series are basically a refresh of ZEN 3 so they most likely act the same as the 5000 Series. Obviously it’s still a risk. But it sounds as a very interesting experiment and project that has fair chances it’s gonna work
The 6850m is Navi 22 based on the RX 6700 xt desktop. No possible. You could look into the Zephyrus G14 with the RX 6800s and 6900h, the 6800s is NAvi 23

Last edited:

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Ah damn it. I expected the RX 6850 XT to be based of the desktop RX 6800 as of the naming numbers. I really like the Lenovo laptops. Damn it

I know, manufactures can be dicks by inconsistently setting naming conventions.

RRadler

AMD OS X Member
The RDNA 1 hole line up is being supported by Apple for drivers right? Does anyone know if it was being fully supported at launch or was slowly catching up just as RDNA 2? Cause i see RDNA 2 started only with Navi 21 and after a long time support for Navi 23 got added. I am just trying to understand Apple patterns here if there is any good chance they will add sometime support for Navi 22 cause laptops with AMD GPUs here as insanely rare, i may buy it and prey to anything i know for Apple to add support. Cause there is support for the high end navi 21 and at lower end for navi 23. It would be just so much lame not being support for the middle ground.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Unfortunately the answer is no, Apple as far as we have seen have no intention of adding drivers for the Navi 22 series of GPU's.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
To date Apple are providing support for Navi 21 and Navi 23 AMD GPU's. Some natively, others require a Fake ID. Details on the cards in these two series can be seen in the pages linked below from TechPowerUp site.

We have not seen and don't really expect to see drivers in macOS for the lower end Navi 22 or Navi 24 GPU's. As it is unlikely anyone with a Mac Pro 7,1 would use one of these lower end cards in such a high end and expensive system. Details on the cards in these two series can be seen in the pages linked below from TechPowerUp site.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
From what I understand these are the entries required for the two supported 'Refresh' 6000 series cards that will work in macOS.

The RX 6650 XT requires the device-id= FF730000

The RX 6950 XT requires the device-id=BF730000

Both require the agdpmod=pikera boot argument, same as all other 6000 series AMD cards.

From the above lists of Navi 23 cards, you will see four Mobile GPU's, RX6650M, RX6650M XT, RX6700S and RX6800S. All four of these cards should work in macOS. However, finding a laptop with one of these GPU's might not be easy.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
From what I understand these are the entries required for the two supported 'Refresh' 6000 series cards that will work in macOS.

The RX 6650 XT requires the device-id= FF730000

The RX 6950 XT requires the device-id=BF730000

Both require the agdpmod=pikera boot argument, same as all other 6000 series AMD cards.

From the above lists of Navi 23 cards, you will see four Mobile GPU's, RX6650M, RX6650M XT, RX6700S and RX6800S. All four of these cards should work in macOS. However, finding a laptop with one of these GPU's might not be easy.
Currently only 2 Laptop can be possibly hackintoshed with the Navi 23.

1. Legion 5 with RX 6600m (work in progress, currently working with one cpu core -MUX

2. Asus Zephyrus G14 with the 6900h + RX 6800s -MUX

There are other laptops like the MSI Alpha 15 with the 6600m and other manufactures that dont include Mux switched and therefore wont work. Only the listed above models because they have proper "MUX" switch. all others to this day do not have a Mux. No mux, no hackintosh

Now, the current Holygrail laptop for a hackintosh is the Alineware Area 51m with the 10900k desktop CPU and the RX 5700m. These are exteremely rare to get now

Another laptop that is worth checking and my current daily Hackintosh is the Predator Helios 500, desktop CPU Ryzen 7 2700, and desktop GPU Vega 56. Currently on Mojave, having some issues installing Monterey

Last edited:

RRadler

AMD OS X Member
Ok so i have some updates. There will be released a Slim edition of the 7 series of lenovo. Specs:
RX6800S (Navi 23 so should have hardware acceleration at Monterey)
Ryzen 7 or 9 6000 series, which i really hope it can run since someone with the ryzen 5800H made it work. Yes i know that until now it only runs with only 1 core but hey it still runs, in future there might be a bypass.
Now what i pray is what are the chances for the Wifi( has wifi 6E),Bluetooth,speakers,Mic and Camera to work or at least a fix to make them work. Airdrop will surely won't work but that's fine.

Does that laptop have good chances to run MacOS with hardware acceleration?? Are the chances at a good position so i can buy the laptop with confidence that it will run MacOS?

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Ok so i have some updates. There will be released a Slim edition of the 7 series of lenovo. Specs:
RX6800S (Navi 23 so should have hardware acceleration at Monterey)
Ryzen 7 or 9 6000 series, which i really hope it can run since someone with the ryzen 5800H made it work. Yes i know that until now it only runs with only 1 core but hey it still runs, in future there might be a bypass.
Now what i pray is what are the chances for the Wifi( has wifi 6E),Bluetooth,speakers,Mic and Camera to work or at least a fix to make them work. Airdrop will surely won't work but that's fine.

Does that laptop have good chances to run MacOS with hardware acceleration?? Are the chances at a good position so i can buy the laptop with confidence that it will run MacOS?
If you want a Mac on a laptop buy a MacBook Air or Pro.

RRadler

AMD OS X Member
If you want a Mac on a laptop buy a MacBook Air or Pro.
No because MacBooks are small, the laptop design is not what i want (i want ports to be on the back of the laptop), keyboard usually have small key travel and most importantly the M1 chip is no where as close to the power i want in GPU. It can't run games, emulations and stuff the way i want where with an AMD GPU i can just dual boot MacOS and Windows.

There was success in people using a lenovo laptop and booting to MacOS, GPU workerd, CPU only 1 core but for me that's totally fine. Also the M1 doesn't have a hardware AV1 decoder etc. Also with the Lenovo laptop i have 2 GPUs, i may want in the future to VMs with GPU passthrough using Looking Glass or whatever.
They just don't satisfy my needs currently.

Also with the Lenovo laptop i have 2 GPUs, i may want in the future to VMs with GPU passthrough using Looking Glass or whatever.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
No because MacBooks are small, the laptop design is not what i want (i want ports to be on the back of the laptop), keyboard usually have small key travel and most importantly the M1 chip is no where as close to the power i want in GPU. It can't run games, emulations and stuff the way i want where with an AMD GPU i can just dual boot MacOS and Windows.

There was success in people using a lenovo laptop and booting to MacOS, GPU workerd, CPU only 1 core but for me that's totally fine. Also the M1 doesn't have a hardware AV1 decoder etc. Also with the Lenovo laptop i have 2 GPUs, i may want in the future to VMs with GPU passthrough using Looking Glass or whatever.

Also with the Lenovo laptop i have 2 GPUs, i may want in the future to VMs with GPU passthrough using Looking Glass or whatever.
I wish you luck on getting macOS to work on your Lenovo. As far as I'm aware no-one has macOS working on an AMD laptop.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@craighazan It can run, at least on some laptops. It is just much more difficult and without a supported iGPU, battery life will suffer.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
@craighazan It can run, at least on some laptops. It is just much more difficult and without a supported iGPU, battery life will suffer.
It can run?!. I never knew, I was under the impression AMD laptops and AMD AIO don't work because of the GPU issue. Is it a particular brand of laptop that works?.

craighazan

Donator
Donator

Is it the Legion 7 with force feedback W A S D keys?.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.