Ryzen 6900HX + RX 6850M XT (Legion 7 2022)

craighazan

Donator
Donator

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Happy to be corrected!.
Sure, happy to reply. You said that AMD laptops cant be hackintoshed. That is incorrect.

AMD Laptop hackintosh

1. Acer Predator Helios 500: Ryzen 2700, Vega 56. I own one with Mojave, my daily work driver

2. Asus GL72zc: Ryzen 1700, RX580: Also hackintoshed running High Sierra, own one also

3. Asus G14: Ryzen 6800h, 6900h, Radeons RX 6700s, RX 6800s

4. Legion 5: 5800h, RX 6600m. Also own one, running Monterey 12.6

I am not sure if you understand what has been the main problem with hacking AMD laptops. The problem stems to one main component: MUX switch.

After the 10th gen intel was outdated, basically AMD's and Intel became the same for hackintoshing. Why? Because after 10th gen no intel igpu is compatible with MAC OS, therefore no Quicksync benefits exist. Is only the raw power of the CPU what you get with modern Intel/AMD. AMD has never been really the issue with AMD laptops, is that very few manufactures released models that had compatible GPU's with a "Mux". There are some laptops with 5500m, 5600m, and 6600m's that could be hackintoshed, but because manufactures haven't caught on on the importance of Mux and therefore not included. And without Mux it was not possible to get AMD laptops to work as it should, with graphics acceleration. There have been some hacks to get AMD laptops to boot but no graphics but is frankly unsuable

That started changing in 2021 when Lenovo released the Legion 5 with the Mux. The laptop is already hackintoshed but there is one main issue remaining to fix. Asus this year released the G14 with the 6700, 6800s which outperform the 6600m but are still based on the Nav23. The Asus is a great choice AMD laptop with latest tech specs.

Are AMD laptops capable for proper hackintoshing, Yes. I own 3 AMD hackintoshes, and a few Intels

I do it as a hobby and always checking the new machines that can be hackintoshed.

Last edited:

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Sure, happy to reply. You said that AMD laptops cant be hackintoshed. That is incorrect.

AMD Laptop hackintosh

1. Acer Predator Helios 500: Ryzen 2700, Vega 56. I own one with Mojave, my daily work driver

2. Asus GL72zc: Ryzen 1700, RX580: Also hackintoshed running High Sierra, own one also

3. Asus G14: Ryzen 6800h, 6900h, Radeons RX 6700s, RX 6800s

4. Legion 5: 5800h, RX 6600m. Also own one, running Monterey 12.6

I am not sure if you understand what has been the main problem with hacking AMD laptops. The problem stems to one main component: MUX switch.

After the 10th gen intel was outdated, basically AMD's and Intel became the same for hackintoshing. Why? Because after 10th gen no intel igpu is compatible with MAC OS, therefore no Quicksync benefits exist. Is only the raw power of the CPU what you get with modern Intel/AMD. AMD has never been really the issue with AMD laptops, is that very few manufactures released models that had compatible GPU's with a "Mux" There are some laptops with 5500m, 5600m, and 6600m's that could be hackintoshed, but because manufactures haven't caught on on the importance of Mux and therefore not included. And without Mux it was not possible to get AMD laptops to work as it should, with graphics acceleration. There have been some hacks to get AMD laptops to boot but no graphics but is frankly unsuable

That started changing in 2021 when Lenovo released the Legion 5 with the Mux. The laptop is already hackintoshed but there is one main issue remaining to fix. Asus this year released the G14 with the 6700, 6800s which outperform the 6600m but are still based on the Nav23. The Asus is a great choice AMD laptop with latest tech specs.

Are AMD laptops capable for proper hackintoshing, Yes. I own 3 AMD hackintoshes, and a few Intels

I do it as a hobby and always checking the new machines that can be hackintoshed.
Well I stand corrected, well done.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
this would be good info to get out there, like me many hackintoshers are unaware that AMD laptops actually work!, so I'm glad you explained to me what the issue was and how it was fixed. The MUX switch, is that hardware/software/BIOS?, could you enlighten me some more?.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The MUX switch, is that hardware/software/BIOS?, could you enlighten me some more?.
See this explanation, it concentrates on Nvidia Optimus but works the same for AMD dGPU's.

and this.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
this would be good info to get out there, like me many hackintoshers are unaware that AMD laptops actually work!, so I'm glad you explained to me what the issue was and how it was fixed. The MUX switch, is that hardware/software/BIOS?, could you enlighten me some more?.
Basically, what the Mux does is that allows the GPU to be directly connected to the display. With no Mux the GPU is wired into the IGpu and that "was" the main bottleneck as to why many AMD's couldn't be hackintoshed.

For clarification: A laptop doesn't have to have a MUX, it just needs to have the option for the dedicated GPU to be directly wired to the display. That is the "key" of it all

Example: Area 51M does have the intel IGPu HD630, but it does not have "Optimus". Optimus is when the Dedicated GPU is connected to the IGPU and the IGPu is then connected to the display. That is the method use to increase battery life on intel laptops. However, because the Area 51m does not have Optimus the Dedicated GPU was always directly wired to the display. No MUX on the laptop

Last edited:

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.