Ryzen 5 3600X - Gigabyte X570 Gaming X - Upgrade From Big Sur to Monterey Help Please

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
HELP! LOL!. I am trying to upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey Latest Installer but when I try to boot into usb or upgrade, it hangs and goes no further. I am having trouble understanding updating my AMD patches for Monterey. If someone could please point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Everything is working fine in Big Sur. Below are my specs;

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: RX 570 8GB
RAM: 32GB OLOy DDR4 3600
NVME: 500GB WD SN850 & Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB (For Windows 11)

Opencore: 7.6

EDIT: Thanks to longcoming & Shaneee I am up and running Monterey 12.01! Big ups to you two! Below is my updated EFI (Minus Serial, UUID, Ect.).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Edited your cpu patch,give it a try.
Thank you, I swapped out my config.plist for yours and it hangs at this..... (I reset nvram when I tried booting from it)

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
ProvideCurrentCpuInfo needs to be set to True. Its under Kernel -> Quirks.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
ProvideCurrentCpuInfo needs to be set to True. Its under Kernel -> Quirks.
I made that change and was able to boot with the new patches into Big Sur, I did notice that the CPU Info Says Unknown CPU (Dont know if that matters) so I decided to try the Monterey upgrade, it rebooted and it seems to be stuck here, moving one line about every 15 seconds. It has been here for about 1.5 hours. Any ideas?

kouchangyin

AMD OS X Member
Should my X470 motherboard use your X570 EFI?
could u plz share your Big Sur EFI? Thank you
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) X470 platform
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • Graphics: SAPPHIRE Radeon R7 240
  • HDD: SAMSUNG 970EVO 500GB

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Disable the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Should my X470 motherboard use your X570 EFI?
could u plz share your Big Sur EFI? Thank you
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) X470 platform
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • Graphics: SAPPHIRE Radeon R7 240
  • HDD: SAMSUNG 970EVO 500GB
It should if it uses realtek lan. I dont have any kexts for bluetooth because Im using Fenvi NIC Cards and they work OOB. Here is my EFI that works great with Big Sur, But not yet with Monterey, but Shaneee and longcoming is helping get it in the right direction. I removed my Serial , ROM and UUID, so you will need to create your own in the Platform Info.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Disable the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk.
Ok, I did that and it halts at this..... (I also went to reload Big Sur onto the machine just now and it says I cannot downgrade and shows 4 snapshots of 12.0.1 so could this be a video issue? I have a RX 580 8GB

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
What does it show in the boot picker?

I've never seen a screen like that...
This is what shows, the Efi is a usb drive along with the install Big Sur. The windows is on a second nvme ssd. If I select the AMD hackintosh ssd I get that freeze I uploaded.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Try booting the Monterey Recovery that's there. Then install Monterey again. It'll keep any files etc.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Try booting the Monterey Recovery that's there. Then install Monterey again. It'll keep any files etc.
It hangs at same spot so recovery never loads.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Remove any kexts from your config that aren't required to boot. You should keep only Lilu, VirutalSMC and Whatevergreen if your GPU requires it.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
I also tried making a efi from scratch using dorms is guide but it did same thing… just odd… I am reinstalling Big Sur and then gunna work on making a Monterey install disk, I think if I can get the install disk to boot Monterey then upgrade. I wonder if my bios for the mobo is an issue, I have not updated it in about 8 months

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
It's possible but I don't think it's an issue. It looks like macOS just tripped out and spat everything out garbled. Not seen anything like that since custom kernels were used.

It's also possible that the installer/system just got corrupt somehow.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
True…. Something I noticed is that in my about this Mac, it shows unknown cpu, could that be an issue?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
No that's normal. macOS doesn't have the strings for AMD CPUs as they were never used. It's purely cosmetic and can be fixed with RestrictEvents.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
No that's normal. macOS doesn't have the strings for AMD CPUs as they were never used. It's purely cosmetic and can be fixed with RestrictEvents.
OK, I went back to Big Sur and fixed my CPU info since that was messing with my OCD lol. But one thing I just discovered after the new CPU patches or adding the nvmefix.kext and restrictevents.kext is that my display port sound coming out of my RX 570 is popping. Could something we changed cause that? Oh, and I made a mistake earlier, I said RX 580, but its a RX 570.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am also about to make another monterey installer with just the kexts you mentioned a couple posts above and see if I can boot from it.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.