Ryzen 5 3600, ASRock X570 ITX/TB3, Sapphire Nitro+ RX570, Catalina + OpenCore

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
My OpenCore EFI setup along with hardware specs.

Main use for this build is Plex and other media server. It plays all DRM protected media: iTunes, Apple TV+, Plex, Netflix in Safari etc, all with hardware-acceleration.
Thus almost everything works apart from few issues which I decided to ignore.

Things that do not work:
  • Thunderbolt 3 (works fine as USB-C)
  • Sleep and wake (have no idea why, don't really care)
  • Weird watchOS SDK + Core Data issue
At the moment, I'm using OpenCore 0.5.7, Catalina 10.15.4. I keep up with releases of both Catalina and OC, fairly quickly, thus watch the GitHub repo if you want to stay up to date.

danielgrieff

AMD OS X Member
My OpenCore EFI setup along with hardware specs.

Main use for this build is Plex and other media server. It plays all DRM protected media: iTunes, Apple TV+, Plex, Netflix in Safari etc, all with hardware-acceleration.
Thus almost everything works apart from few issues which I decided to ignore.

Things that do not work:
  • Thunderbolt 3 (works fine as USB-C)
  • Sleep and wake (have no idea why, don't really care)
  • Weird watchOS SDK + Core Data issue
At the moment, I'm using OpenCore 0.5.7, Catalina 10.15.4. I keep up with releases of both Catalina and OC, fairly quickly, thus watch the GitHub repo if you want to stay up to date.
Hey! How difficult was it to replace the WiFi card? I haven’t attempted to replace mine yet. Also, is that Fenvi card just a standard dell dw1560 (BCM94352Z)?
Thanks!

Last edited:

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hey! How difficult was it to replace the WiFi card? I haven’t attempted to relive mine yet. Also, is that Fenvi card just a standard dell dw1560 (BCM94352Z)?
Thanks!

Not that difficult, you can see most of the process in this video. X570 heatsinks are a pain in the ass, with today's knowledge I would go for some B450 board (most likely Asus Strix ITX).

No idea about DW1560, I don't think it makes any difference what exact card it is, chip is what matters.

danielgrieff

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate that video, too. I already went ahead and ordered a card, plus an adapter, because I couldnt find any m2 cards here in the UK. I just hope that the combined thickness has enough clearance underneath that metal sheath the that current card sits in!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I'm thinking the upcoming B550 (even though they will again be outdated a couple of months after their release) will be much better choice for ITX as ITX just waste much of what X570 offers, especially those chipset PCI lanes.

danielgrieff

AMD OS X Member
I'm thinking the upcoming B550 (even though they will again be outdated a couple of months after their release) will be much better choice for ITX as ITX just waste much of what X570 offers, especially those chipset PCI lanes.
Why do you think that? Just the price/performance ratio?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The X570 also produces a lot more heat and almost all boards come with a chipset fan. And you pay for things you don’t or can’t use.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.