Ryzen 5 3400G with Gigabyte B450 I Pro Wifi. Any chance this will work?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
HI all. Great forum and very happy to be here!

Here is my situation. I already own a 27" iMac, Mid 2010 but it is starting to fail. First, the backlight went so I am using it with an external display and now my Bluetooth keeps disappearing so my wireless mouse and keyboard stop working. The only way to get it back up and running is to restart. I had considered buying another used mac but as I have just upgraded my old pc with a Ryzen 5 3400G and Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard I thought it may be worth going down the Hackintosh route.

I have read that the 3400G is not ideal for such a thing? I don't think the onboard graphics will work so I would need to add a graphics card? Also, I understand there may be audio issues?

If I need to replace the cpu I can do that, not ideal but doable.

All advice very much welcomed.

wild_eep

AMD OS X Member
I have read that the 3400G is not ideal for such a thing? I don't think the onboard graphics will work so I would need to add a graphics card? Also, I understand there may be audio issues?

If I need to replace the cpu I can do that, not ideal but doable.
You are correct, the integrated graphics on your 3400G is not supported in MacOS, and likely never will be. You need a compatible discrete graphics card.
This GPU Buyers Guide can help you choose one that is compatible. I don't think its necessary to buy a new CPU, you can simply turn off onboard graphics in the BIOS, although I can't say for sure as I don't have any experience with AMD integrated graphics. I know you can do so with Intel onboard graphics, so I imagine its the same with AMD.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the response. I think the internal GPU is turned off when a discrete graphics card is detected. If not I am sure it can be disabled in the bios.

So assuming I use a discrete graphics card with the CPU internal GPU disabled is there any reason the combo of 3400G and my B450 motherboard would not work? By the way, I have an XFX 7870 card spare and I think I could use that for now.

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
When I had my 2400G the iGPU was still enabled when using a discrete card. It had to manually disabled in the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.