Ryzen 3900x, Aorus Elite x570, AMD RX 5700, TP-LINK UB4A

LouW

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while reading tips to get my own build together. I moved to Mac from Windows around 12 years ago and have only just got back into building myself a PC again. Mac hardware is just out of my price range now.

Anyway, here is my system:

AMD Ryzen 3900x
Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570
Sapphire RX 5700
Corsair MP600 Force 1TB M.2
16bg Corsair DDR4 running at 3200
TP-LINK UB4A Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle

I finally got to grips with Opencore and now have a fully working (as best I can tell) Mac OS system running 10.15.4

I would have preferred Mojave, but Catalina has the drivers for the RX 5700 so this seemed the be the best option.

I have attached my EFI folder which has the following :

Opencore 0.5.8
Fully working USB (including front) and Sleep
Driver for onboard Intel Networking
Sound Output for Realtek and GPU audio
USB dongle works fine without any additional drivers
RadeonBoost.kext which seem to improve the speed of the 5700 in benchmarks. The docs said you can disable whatevergreen when using this, but it didn't work for me, so that is still present.
Recommended OS : Catalina 10.15.1 - 10.15.4

The following is a list of all kexts

Lilu.kext
SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
AppleALC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext
SMCAMDProcessor.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
AMD-USB-Map.kext
NVMeFix.kext
RadeonBoost.kext

I have removed at the SystemUUID etc so you will of course need to replace this with your own info, and you may also want to turn on the debugging if you have problems.

One thing to note is that according to the developer of RadeonBoost, it may cause problems with 10.15.5 so if you are running this, I'd recommend disabling the RadeonBoost.kext

Hopefully this will be of use to someone out there who is trying to build a good Hackintosh with similar hardware.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 96

Vlad Vovk

AMD OS X Member
I have the same MB, but sleep does not work. How you set up it?

LouW

AMD OS X Member
You will need to load the DSDT's for power management.

Copy the ACPI folder from my EFI/OC and then you will need to add the corresponding entries in config.pl under the ACPI section.

tutukueh

AMD OS X Member
Hey OP. Thanks for uploading your EFI.
May I know what's the model identifier you used for your .plist (MacPro7,1)?

Edit : I’m running a similar setup to hardware, same mobo, model of the graphics card. The only difference is that I have an additional SATA drive attached.

I’m running into an this ACPI error though.

sJrTIO4.jpg

Last edited:

LouW

AMD OS X Member
Hey OP. Thanks for uploading your EFI.
May I know what's the model identifier you used for your .plist (MacPro7,1)?

Edit : I’m running a similar setup to hardware, same mobo, model of the graphics card. The only difference is that I have an additional SATA drive attached.

I’m running into an this ACPI error though.

sJrTIO4.jpg

Ah yes, I need to edit the post.

For some reason, above4gdecoding needs to be turned on in the bios even though the boot args are present. That should fix the freeze.

Smbios is iMacPro1,1

tutukueh

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for your reply.
I already had 4G Decoding turned on.

To workaround the errors, I had to turn on CSM Support. I manage to boot into macOS.
However, I still couldn't get sleep to work :unsure:

Apart from 4G Decoding was there any BIOS changes you made?

After hitting sleep, the fans will continue to spin. And the device will refuse to wake once the power to the keyboard is cut.

Could you share which are the USB ports you're currently using for your keyboard and mouse?

Edit: I also noticed that you've included a AMD-USB-Map.kext. However, this is not injected in the config.plist. Is this intended?

Last edited:

bullerwins

AMD OS X Member
Hi! I have your same system except I have a rx580. I'm checking the guide to see if there is any difference but don't see anything in particular as both cards are supported in mac os. At the moment I'm using Mojave an old version of OC, so I'm planning on upgrading using yours as a base.

Edit: checking again the guide
agdpmod=pikeraUsed for disabling boardID on Navi GPUs(RX 5000 series), without this you'll get a black screen. Don't use if you don't have Navi(ie. Polaris and Vega cards shouldn't use this)
I should disable this and that should be it

PS: do you know if this would work on Mojave 10.14.6?

Last edited:

barrrrt

AMD OS X Member
Hello. Regarding sleep again.

What exactly did you change, so that Sleep works?

I always get that error. And I have tried a lot. But sleep doesn't work :/

LouW

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

My Bios settings (which aren't default)

ERP : Disabled
Wake On Lan : Disabled
SVM Mode : Enabled

My mouse is plugged into my keyboard, and keyboard plugged in to port shown below. Using Apple Aluminium Keyboard.

Yes, I did intend to delete the AMD-USB-Map.kext as it seemed to be unecessary.

I'm thinking it could be the ERP setting that could make a difference as this keeps power to usb.

20200519_101408.jpg

LouW

AMD OS X Member
Hello. Regarding sleep again.

What exactly did you change, so that Sleep works?

I always get that error. And I have tried a lot. But sleep doesn't work :/

I didn't change anything so to speak, just loaded the DSDTs and it worked fine from the get-go. I have posted some bios settings in the thread, maybe that will help.

barrrrt

AMD OS X Member
Where did you geht the DSDT from? Normally you don't need to add your DSDT to the ACPI folder... so.. .you extracted it and just added it? Or did you get if rom anybody/anywhere?
Can you please check with Hackintool if the second XHC Controller (XHC2 on your side) has connected any devices?

And ERP is also disabled on my side.

Last edited:

LouW

AMD OS X Member
Where did you geht the DSDT from? Normally you don't need to add your DSDT to the ACPI folder... so.. .you extracted it and just added it? Or did you get if rom anybody/anywhere?
Can you please check with Hackintool if the second XHC Controller (XHC2 on your side) has connected any devices?

See screen grab from Hackintool.

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 10.48.50.jpg

The DSDT I merged from a couple of sources (I forget where now, but I have attached the the two sets)

Attachments

• Set 1 ACPI.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Set 2 ACPI.zip
    17.1 KB · Views: 7

Vlad Vovk

AMD OS X Member
You will need to load the DSDT's for power management.

Copy the ACPI folder from my EFI/OC and then you will need to add the corresponding entries in config.pl under the ACPI section.
Thanks, I will try

barrrrt

AMD OS X Member
Thx @LouW
Can you start Hackintool again, click in that window on the "cleaning" button and then the "refresh" button.

Cause the window that is shown to you isn't correct.

Ernestas1111

AMD OS X Member
Hello i tried to use your efi folder( same motherboard jsut 3700x) my bios settings would get corrupted.. any ideas why ?

LouW

AMD OS X Member
Thx @LouW
Can you start Hackintool again, click in that window on the "cleaning" button and then the "refresh" button.

Cause the window that is shown to you isn't correct.

Here you go.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 45

LouW

AMD OS X Member
Hello i tried to use your efi folder( same motherboard jsut 3700x) my bios settings would get corrupted.. any ideas why ?

Haven't the foggiest idea on that. Can't say I've seen anything similar.

barrrrt

AMD OS X Member
So you didn't rename your Controller ... damned.. I want the capability to let my Hack sleep too :p Thx anyway.

One last question. Could you be so kind and try a start without your DSDT and then let your device come to sleep? If the bug occurs again on your side, we have a good idea where we have to look. I posted your link also on GitHub of this page.... maybe some people will check that earlier.

Github - Vanilla

LouW

AMD OS X Member
OK, I've just tried that. I deleted all the Add entries under ACPI and also the .aml files. What happened is it just won't go to sleep - not the cpu or the display. No Kernel panics or freezes, just doesn't do anything at all.

EDIT

Just tried manual sleep from Apple menu and it did sleep, but wouldn't wake, just hard rebooted.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
That seems to be a commen issue caused by the USB controller on the CPU...

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.