Ryzen 3800X | MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC | 32GB | RX 590 | Catalina 10.15.4 | OC 0.5.7

AdamPisces6847

AMD OS X Member
I posted this in the old forum last month before having to do some traveling, but I still have a couple head-scratchers I'm hoping somebody's figured out. Now that I'm back at my desk, I'm looking forward to checking out the updates in the guide and doing some hackintosh maintenance. :cool:

Thanks to Apophis for the hot tip on " https://github.com/acidanthera/HibernationFixup with -hbfx-disable-patch-pci boot flag" - I haven't had a chance to try this out regarding sleep/wake functionality, but looking forward to giving it a shot, but not familiar with the process of compiling this kext myself.

My hurdle right now is bluetooth functionality - I suspect I may have conflicting bluetooth hardware between my motherboard and the Fenvi T919, but I haven't figured out how to troubleshoot that quite yet. In addition to the "turn off bluetooth" option being greyed out, I have issues discovering new devices. It seems to be very hit or miss and often doesn't work. Now that the Vanilla Guide has more robust info on this, I am going to try another attempt at remapping my USB to address this (I believe Fenvi T919 is on USB controller...) - let me know if I'm on the right track?

----

I sold my old iMac and built this PC to have some beefier hardware for audio/video work and I realized I really missed running MacOS. This was my first PC build and didn't intend to Hackintosh at first. After dual booting Windows and Ubuntu for a few months, I decided to give it a shot when I realized I owned the compatible hardware:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X
Cooler: Wraith Prism
Motherboard: MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC
RAM: 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3000 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 590 8GB
Bluetooth & Wifi: Fenvi T919 PCIe
Case: NZXT H510

In addition to everything in the install/post-install guide, I did the following:
  • Corrected AMD CPU name in System Info
  • Added "RadeonBooster.kext" for good measure

This was an adventure, but everything feels very stable right now. I've spent some time in Premiere, Photoshop, Pro Tools, Resolve and all feels gooood. However, I have a few lingering issues / questions:
  • Mobo Intel LAN isn't working, even with "SmallTreeIntel82576.kext" - In fact, this held up my entire install because I couldn't get past the "Reinstall MacOS screen. It stated that an internet connection was required to continue. I tried Mojave instead with no luck as well, so I just ordered a Fenvi T919 which worked like a charm, plug & play. I would like the LAN to work though, so I'd appreciate any insight here.
  • The option to "turn off bluetooth" is greyed out. Is there a fix for this?
  • Sleep/Wake isn't working, after the first couple "wake to black screen" issues, I simply disabled sleep. Anyone know where to find the fix?
  • I got locked out of iServices using a "throwaway" Apple ID, but (inadvertently) logged in successfully to iCloud with my main Apple ID. Sidecar shows only a black screen on iPad - anyone know where to find the fix?
Cinebench Multicore: 4945
Cinebench Singlecore: 487
Geekbench Multicore: 7857
Geekbench Singlecore: 1271
Geekbench OpenCL: 34051
Geekbench Metal: 54575

View attachment 361

Standeraas

AMD OS X Member
Thanks a lot for your post.
I'm planning to build a system mainly to use for working in Pro Tools and other DAWs. I'm stuck with choosing the right motherboard. I'm leaning to getting ASRock X570 Taichi because of the Thunderbolt and USB-C 3.2 Gen 2.
Was it very hard to make your build work with Pro Tools? I've read differing threads on this forum varying from not being able to launch Pro Tools at all to successfully working on different motherboards. What would be your tip if any?
Thanks

agent2

Donator
Donator
I posted this in the old forum last month before having to do some traveling, but I still have a couple head-scratchers I'm hoping somebody's figured out. Now that I'm back at my desk, I'm looking forward to checking out the updates in the guide and doing some hackintosh maintenance. :cool:

Thanks to Apophis for the hot tip on " https://github.com/acidanthera/HibernationFixup with -hbfx-disable-patch-pci boot flag" - I haven't had a chance to try this out regarding sleep/wake functionality, but looking forward to giving it a shot, but not familiar with the process of compiling this kext myself.

My hurdle right now is bluetooth functionality - I suspect I may have conflicting bluetooth hardware between my motherboard and the Fenvi T919, but I haven't figured out how to troubleshoot that quite yet. In addition to the "turn off bluetooth" option being greyed out, I have issues discovering new devices. It seems to be very hit or miss and often doesn't work. Now that the Vanilla Guide has more robust info on this, I am going to try another attempt at remapping my USB to address this (I believe Fenvi T919 is on USB controller...) - let me know if I'm on the right track?

----

I sold my old iMac and built this PC to have some beefier hardware for audio/video work and I realized I really missed running MacOS. This was my first PC build and didn't intend to Hackintosh at first. After dual booting Windows and Ubuntu for a few months, I decided to give it a shot when I realized I owned the compatible hardware:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X
Cooler: Wraith Prism
Motherboard: MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC
RAM: 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3000 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 590 8GB
Bluetooth & Wifi: Fenvi T919 PCIe
Case: NZXT H510

In addition to everything in the install/post-install guide, I did the following:
  • Corrected AMD CPU name in System Info
  • Added "RadeonBooster.kext" for good measure

This was an adventure, but everything feels very stable right now. I've spent some time in Premiere, Photoshop, Pro Tools, Resolve and all feels gooood. However, I have a few lingering issues / questions:
  • Mobo Intel LAN isn't working, even with "SmallTreeIntel82576.kext" - In fact, this held up my entire install because I couldn't get past the "Reinstall MacOS screen. It stated that an internet connection was required to continue. I tried Mojave instead with no luck as well, so I just ordered a Fenvi T919 which worked like a charm, plug & play. I would like the LAN to work though, so I'd appreciate any insight here.
  • The option to "turn off bluetooth" is greyed out. Is there a fix for this?
  • Sleep/Wake isn't working, after the first couple "wake to black screen" issues, I simply disabled sleep. Anyone know where to find the fix?
  • I got locked out of iServices using a "throwaway" Apple ID, but (inadvertently) logged in successfully to iCloud with my main Apple ID. Sidecar shows only a black screen on iPad - anyone know where to find the fix?
Cinebench Multicore: 4945
Cinebench Singlecore: 487
Geekbench Multicore: 7857
Geekbench Singlecore: 1271
Geekbench OpenCL: 34051
Geekbench Metal: 54575

View attachment 361

Try getting your onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to work with https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless. This project is known but still pretty elusive to the main guide.
The itlwm/itlwmx kext is for the Intel Wi-Fi to work at all (choose the first because itlwmx is for Wi-Fi 6 cards) and be recognized. It will show up as Ethernet 2 so don’t be confused.
HeliPort is not a kext but an app that will add the Wi-Fi logo in the menu bar so you can configure it like normal. Only caveat being you can only get 2,4GHz band @ 20Hz and the same for the 5GHz band. But that still is respectable but doesn’t beat the T919. Alt-Click the Wi-Fi logo and select start at login do it behaves properly.
And last but not least the Bluetooth Firmware kext will let you configure BT like normal (switch on/off etc.)

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
We just got the first prebuilt kexts of itlwm/itlwmx for the alpha version - understandably that a guide did not reference it as long as you have to build them yourself. Otherwise you have to start giving advice how to build something you don't have control of.

agent2

Donator
Donator
We just got the first prebuilt kexts of itlwm/itlwmx for the alpha version - understandably that a guide did not reference it as long as you have to build them yourself. Otherwise you have to start giving advice how to build something you don't have control of.
I'm sorry @Aluveitie I didn't understand what you meant by that?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I assumed you mean dortania guides with "main guide"

agent2

Donator
Donator
I assumed you mean dortania guides with "main guide"
Kinda. Yeah you're right the final release probably will be mentioned in the Install Guide. But I hope when more people adopt this there will be more features added (AirDrop, bands above 20MHz...)

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
AirDrop would require a rewrite of the driver. It's not working currently as it is implemented as a Ethernet device and AirDrop only works over Wifi.
I didn't follow the exact technical reasoning but I think the author ran into issues trying to implement it as a Wifi device initially.

I'd not expect AirDrop support anytime soon.

agent2

Donator
Donator
AirDrop would require a rewrite of the driver. It's not working currently as it is implemented as a Ethernet device and AirDrop only works over Wifi.
I didn't follow the exact technical reasoning but I think the author ran into issues trying to implement it as a Wifi device initially.

I'd not expect AirDrop support anytime soon.
Yeah Airdrop was a dumb example to include but I just meant general improvements such as higher transfer speeds. Hey but it’s not impossible! Where there is a will, there is a way! 🤓

AdamPisces6847

AMD OS X Member
Thanks a lot for your post.
I'm planning to build a system mainly to use for working in Pro Tools and other DAWs. I'm stuck with choosing the right motherboard. I'm leaning to getting ASRock X570 Taichi because of the Thunderbolt and USB-C 3.2 Gen 2.
Was it very hard to make your build work with Pro Tools? I've read differing threads on this forum varying from not being able to launch Pro Tools at all to successfully working on different motherboards. What would be your tip if any?
Thanks

ProTools (most recent version) has been working without a hitch! I didn't have to take any additional steps. My audio interface (MOTU 828es) is USB 2.0 and works on my XHC0 controller ports, however for some reason, it is not recognized on my PTXH controller ports (other devices such as flash drives function properly on both). This was actually an issue I had in my Windows boot as well so I'm scratching my head a bit to solve.

My B450 Mobo doesn't have TB3 and I understand that can be challenging to get working on AMD systems. I have not attempted.

Since OP, I have updated to OC 0.5.9 as well as Catalina 10.15.6. Additionally, I actually solved my Bluetooth issue using the fix described here: Reddit

Disabling my XHC0 usb controller removed the conflicting Bluetooth controllers, but I lost two USB ports on my motherboard in the process (rendering my audio interface useless). I assume I will have to properly go in and map my USB to either fix my PTXH ports or to enable the proper XHC0 ports (or both).

--

At some point I look forward to trying out OpenIntelWireless, but Wifi/Bluetooth is properly working now with Fenvi card and conflicting bluetooth disabled.

Standeraas

AMD OS X Member
ProTools (most recent version) has been working without a hitch! I didn't have to take any additional steps. My audio interface (MOTU 828es) is USB 2.0 and works on my XHC0 controller ports, however for some reason, it is not recognized on my PTXH controller ports (other devices such as flash drives function properly on both). This was actually an issue I had in my Windows boot as well so I'm scratching my head a bit to solve.

My B450 Mobo doesn't have TB3 and I understand that can be challenging to get working on AMD systems. I have not attempted.

Since OP, I have updated to OC 0.5.9 as well as Catalina 10.15.6. Additionally, I actually solved my Bluetooth issue using the fix described here: Reddit

Disabling my XHC0 usb controller removed the conflicting Bluetooth controllers, but I lost two USB ports on my motherboard in the process (rendering my audio interface useless). I assume I will have to properly go in and map my USB to either fix my PTXH ports or to enable the proper XHC0 ports (or both).

--

At some point I look forward to trying out OpenIntelWireless, but Wifi/Bluetooth is properly working now with Fenvi card and conflicting bluetooth disabled.

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah audio interfaces are often tricky.. I used to have problems with one from Akai - it was adding delays and bit decimation to audio upon using any bluetooth device on a MacBook but nearly didn't work at all on Windows :D
I'm a beginner but hopefully all this knowledge will finally get me somewhere

AdamPisces6847

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah audio interfaces are often tricky.. I used to have problems with one from Akai - it was adding delays and bit decimation to audio upon using any bluetooth device on a MacBook but nearly didn't work at all on Windows :D
I'm a beginner but hopefully all this knowledge will finally get me somewhere

I was having some REALLY bizarre bit decimation issues using this particular interface with Ubuntu. It's USB 2.0 class compliant, so theoretically shouldn't have had any issue, but things got weird. I want to try an alternative USB interface, but the other options currently at my disposal are all TB or FW.

Since I am still having USB power issues on my PTXH controller (external Apple disk drive doesn't function, etc), I think I need to revisit this. I think it's a longshot that USB power would solve my audio interface issue since it is self-powered, but worth a shot I think. The USB mapping is so tedious and I haven't had the time to dedicate to doing it properly.

metadoor

AMD OS X Member
Ihave pro carbon and amd rayzen 3600 but no sound i'm tray applealc and lilu kext waht use for get sound i'm use catalina 10.15.1

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.