Solved Ryzen 3700X (on MSI B450M) Big Sur 11.1 installation, Opencore 0.6.5 hanging at [PCI configuration begin ]

amdstef

AMD OS X Member
My hardware:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • Samsung 860 QVO, 1 TB SSD
  • 64 GB RAM
  • Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5600 XT 6G
My BIOS settings (some of them):
  • Version: E7B89AMS.2B0 (of Nov 30, 2020; latest available)
  • Boot mode: Legacy + UEFI
  • Above 4G memory: Enabled
  • BIOS UEFI/CSM Mode: CSM
  • SVM Mode: Enabled
  • NX Mode: Enabled
  • Hyperthreading: Enabled
I prepared my installation stick on another Mac, using createinstallmedia of a downloaded Big Sur 11.1 image.
The EFI partition (see attachment) was created following https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/ with some modifications for OC 0.6.5 (from https://bitbucket.org/profdrluigi/opencorepkg-beta/downloads/OpenCore-0.6.5-RELEASE.zip - I used the debug version which is included in this zip file).

I added the following components which seemed to be right for my hardware setup:
  • ACPI:
    • SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml
  • Drivers:
    • OpenRuntime.efi
    • VBoxHfs.efi
  • Kexts:
    • Lilu.kext
    • AppleALC.kext
    • AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext
    • RealtekRTL8111.kext
    • SMCAMDProcessor.kext
    • VirtualSMC.kext
    • WhateverGreen.kext
  • MacPro6,1
I used the most recent versions of drivers and kexts I could find anywhere.

I applied the patches from https://github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla.git (branch: experimental-opencore) to my config.plist and checked it using the OpenCore SanityChecker (https://opencore.slowgeek.com/). All good!

I also did a NVRAM reset.

However, the installation gets stuck at a common place: [PCI configuration begin ].

According to https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/big-sur/, the problem is related to RTC issues for Intel's X99 and X299 boards. I don't have Intel, but indeed there's RTC related messages in my Opencore debug log and console output (see attachments):

Code:
RTC: Only single RAM bank  (128 bytes)
rtc: 0 rct read failure 1 bytes from 180 E00002C2
VirtualSMC efend: @ no extra rtc memory is present for key erase

Google suggested different solutions, just as disabling the above 4G memory option in the BIOS settings or adding ncpi=0x2000 to the config.plist, none of which actually didn't help.

but perhaps these messages are actually not the reason for the kernel panic? I see a couple of other odd things in the logs:

32 CPU cores were detected, half of which have been disabled. I have a Ryzen 7 with a total of 8 cores, even with hyperthreading the number of cores as seen by the OS cannot be more than 16. Further up in the log, there's the following message:
Code:
09)WhateverGreen lgfx: @ found an unsupported processor 0x0:0x0, please report this!
But this refers to the GPU, doesn't it? And a Radeon RX 5600 XT should be supported, according to the documentation. So why is that then?

There's also a couple of ACPI exceptions, but I suppose this is normal, isn't it?

I should also mention that I tried Opencore 0.6.4 as well, but the result is exactly the same...

So I'm puzzled here - what is the reason the installation hangs? Has anyone made a similar experience or has an idea what's going on here? Have I missed anything?

Thanks a lot for any hint!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
  • console.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 17
  • opencore-2021-01-04-144853.txt
    256 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
There are a couple of things wrong here:
  • CSM should be disabled
  • Remove the ncpi boot arg (it is spelled wrong anyway) and you don't need -lilubetaall
  • Disable the SMCAMDProcessor.kext for now (it requires the AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext to work anyway)
  • Use either iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS
The RTC warning you can ignore for the time being, that should not cause any boot issues.

amdstef

AMD OS X Member
There are a couple of things wrong here:
  • CSM should be disabled
  • Remove the ncpi boot arg (it is spelled wrong anyway) and you don't need -lilubetaall
  • Disable the SMCAMDProcessor.kext for now (it requires the AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext to work anyway)
  • Use either iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS
The RTC warning you can ignore for the time being, that should not cause any boot issues.
Awesome! WIth these four changes (I chose MacPro7,1 SMBIOS) the boot process ran though seamlessly and I have entered now the Big Sur installation stage! Thanks a lot!

I'm going to report whether the installation succeeded or failed... Please stand by :)

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

amdstef

AMD OS X Member
I'm afraid we're not through yet :confused::

The installation starts nicely, I can see the Big Sur recovery desktop, I can format the destination disc (APFS, GPT) and start a fresh installation of Big Sur 11.1...

The progress bar appears and indeed progresses :)
Half way through the system reboots and the installation proceeds: Progress bar shows up again.
System reboots another time and progress bar pops up again, this time at almost 100%.
System reboots again but this time no progress bar appears. The screen remains black.... I can see heavy disc activity again but that ends after a few minutes and from that moment on the HDD LED lights up occasionally only. This doesn't change for the next hour or so. The monitor does not change to sleep mode which tells me it still receives a signal from the hackintosh machine.

The Big Sur desktop does never appear, however... :cry:

What could I do to debug this?

amdstef

AMD OS X Member
I'm afraid we're not through yet :confused::

The installation starts nicely, I can see the Big Sur recovery desktop, I can format the destination disc (APFS, GPT) and start a fresh installation of Big Sur 11.1...

The progress bar appears and indeed progresses :)
Half way through the system reboots and the installation proceeds: Progress bar shows up again.
System reboots another time and progress bar pops up again, this time at almost 100%.
System reboots again but this time no progress bar appears. The screen remains black.... I can see heavy disc activity again but that ends after a few minutes and from that moment on the HDD LED lights up occasionally only. This doesn't change for the next hour or so. The monitor does not change to sleep mode which tells me it still receives a signal from the hackintosh machine.

The Big Sur desktop does never appear, however... :cry:

What could I do to debug this?
I should add that I tried with both, iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOSs, there's no difference, blank screen in the end...

amdstef

AMD OS X Member
I found the solution:
Disable serial and parallel port in the BIOS settings - and it works!

Awesome! Thanks a lot to your guys' help. I will post a summary later so it can be used as a HOWTO.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.