Ryzen 3700x, Asus B550, 10.15 freezing randomly during use

S32

AMD OS X Member
Hi All,

I've recently built a new PC after using a Macbook Pro + iMac for the last 10 years. I chose the components to ensure I could get Mac OSX installed and running and planned to dual boot with Windows! (Specs below)

CPU: Ryzen 3700X
M/B: Asus Strix B550-E Gaming
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil 5700 XT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
Wifi & Bluetooth: Fenvi T919 PCI-E WiFi Card BCM94360CD
EFI: Attached

So after going through and following the Opencore guide on Dortania, I created the USB bootable drive with the relevant kexts, drivers and configured my own config.plist using Propertree. Fortunately installation completed without a hitch and Mac OSX 10.15.6 was running stable - along with audio, network, bluetooth, Wifi after about a day of working on it.

However after a few days of use, I noticed my Apple magic keyboard not connecting via bluetooth, with the bluetooth icon in the menu bar stating 'Bluetooth: Unavailable'. In addition, Mac OSX has started to freeze randomly (spinning wheel) and will only come back to life after a hard shutdown.

I've tried troubleshooting on Dortania, but with the OS randomly freezing it's proving difficult doing so. I read somewhere (possibly reddit) that the GPU may be causing this and to set it to PCI-E x8 in the BIOS/UEFI which I have done, but with no success. I've also started reading into mapping of USB ports, but not sure if this could cause issues of this nature?

Anyway, posting here now as a last resort. If anyone could help / provide some guidance on what to investigate that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2 MB · Views: 43

Aganar

AMD OS X Member
Hi All,

I've recently built a new PC after using a Macbook Pro + iMac for the last 10 years. I chose the components to ensure I could get Mac OSX installed and running and planned to dual boot with Windows! (Specs below)

So after going through and following the Opencore guide on Dortania, I created the USB bootable drive with the relevant kexts, drivers and configured my own config.plist using Propertree. Fortunately installation completed without a hitch and Mac OSX 10.15.6 was running stable - along with audio, network, bluetooth, Wifi after about a day of working on it.

However after a few days of use, I noticed my Apple magic keyboard not connecting via bluetooth, with the bluetooth icon in the menu bar stating 'Bluetooth: Unavailable'. In addition, Mac OSX has started to freeze randomly (spinning wheel) and will only come back to life after a hard shutdown.

I've tried troubleshooting on Dortania, but with the OS randomly freezing it's proving difficult doing so. I read somewhere (possibly reddit) that the GPU may be causing this and to set it to PCI-E x8 in the BIOS/UEFI which I have done, but with no success. I've also started reading into mapping of USB ports, but not sure if this could cause issues of this nature?

Anyway, posting here now as a last resort. If anyone could help / provide some guidance on what to investigate that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

What version of OpenCore are you using?

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Things to check: set PCIe Generation to 3 from Auto/4 in your bios and uncheck 'use hardware acceleration' in the browser settings. We live our lives inside browsers, which sometimes blurs the line between OS and simply 'a program'. I suffered freezes that actually happened only in my (Chrome) browser, but I kept trying to find something to fix in macOS itself.

atariot

AMD OS X Member
Interesting... My setup is pretty similar to yours - I don't even get ahead of the Installer. As I select a drive to install Mac OS on, it'll instantly bring me back to the installation utilities.

Is it possible, that you could send me your BIOS-settings? If I would get past the installer, maybe I could help you with your problem, too. Since this is not my first Hackintosh. But B550 chipset seems some mad approach for a Ryzen-based Hackintosh :)

atariot

AMD OS X Member
Interesting... My setup is pretty similar to yours - I don't even get ahead of the Installer. As I select a drive to install Mac OS on, it'll instantly bring me back to the installation utilities.

Is it possible, that you could send me your BIOS-settings? If I would get past the installer, maybe I could help you with your problem, too. Since this is not my first Hackintosh. But B550 chipset seems some mad approach for a Ryzen-based Hackintosh :)

And by the way... random freezes occur pretty often on incompatible disks. Which harddrives are used within your system? It not only matters on the disk, used for OS X, but also for your potential windows drive. One incompatible drive renders the system useless after a couple of minutes, or sometimes even hours. I had this problem with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

Aganar

AMD OS X Member
Opencore 0.60

Try This EFI i aded 3 kexts that you need. And map your usbs.

This tutorial is for intel but for AMD is not much different.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2 MB · Views: 27

atariot

AMD OS X Member
Hi All,

So after going through and following the Opencore guide on Dortania, I created the USB bootable drive with the relevant kexts, drivers and configured my own config.plist using Propertree. Fortunately installation completed without a hitch and Mac OSX 10.15.6 was running stable - along with audio, network, bluetooth, Wifi after about a day of working on it...

Did you mean ETHERNET by network? If so PLEASE tell me how you did get it to work :)

atariot

AMD OS X Member
Try This EFI i aded 3 kexts that you need. And map your usbs.

This tutorial is for intel but for AMD is not much different.

Problem is... usbinjectall.kext does NOT work on AMD systems. You'll most likely have to do this the manual way...
Or am I wrong?

Aganar

AMD OS X Member
Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@S32 Would you like me to send you a fully mapped USBMap.kext for your board buddy or have you made one now?

S32

AMD OS X Member
@S32 Would you like me to send you a fully mapped USBMap.kext for your board buddy or have you made one now?
@AudioGod That would be a great help. Tbh i've not really had much time to look into this recently. I was thinking of starting again from scratch when I get some spare time.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@AudioGod That would be a great help. Tbh i've not really had much time to look into this recently. I was thinking of starting again from scratch when I get some spare time.

So sorry for the delayed response, I discovered a serious fault on my B550-E after I sent that message and ended up giving up all together with that board and used a Gigabyte X570 Pro instead.

Anyway here's that fully mapped USBMap.kext I offered you, Sorry it took so long to get around to sending it.
Once loaded If you look at it though Hackintool you can see exactly what's mapped out to where as I marked it all up properly. :)
Enjoy Buddy

Attachments

• B550-E USBMap.kext.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 19

S32

AMD OS X Member
So sorry for the delayed response, I discovered a serious fault on my B550-E after I sent that message and ended up giving up all together with that board and used a Gigabyte X570 Pro instead.

Anyway here's that fully mapped USBMap.kext I offered you, Sorry it took so long to get around to sending it.
Once loaded If you look at it though Hackintool you can see exactly what's mapped out to where as I marked it all up properly. :)
Enjoy Buddy
Thanks very much for this! I'll look to add this when I re-do the Mac OSX setup.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.