Rx580 gpu issues [solved]

Hbg1968

AMD OS X Member
I was running a MSI gt710, and so far so good. So I purchased an Asus RX580. Installed it. No Display. Tried another monitor, hdmi cable, an active display port to hdmi cable. Still nothing.
I sent it back and yesterday the company rang me to say it was working fine.

In the meantime I had ordered a Gigabyte, and yes I had a display, though it took forever to come on. However I could not enter the bios. Even pressing the key, it never came on. I was able to boot, though the boot manager never came up.

Windows ran fine, and I installed the driver.

I then booted Catalina, and had issues with my TP Link dongle. I had very little Internet access, and I was having issues with my Logitech Keyboard and mouse. Admittedly, I had not updated the kexts, but I was more concerned with the Bios issue. I contacted the company, who thought it was unusual, suggested updating the Bios, clearing the Cmos.

At some point during the day, I saw a Reddit post with recommended 'Ryzentosh' Bios settings. I took a screen grab, and checked it out when I got home. I updated the kexts, as per Dortania.
I also disabled CSM in the BIOS, saved and rebooted.

Bang! I have a display. I see my boot manager. I booted into Windows, and it seemed fine. I then rebooted into MacOS, and briefly my Wifi card was struggling, but all appears fine now.

Hopefully my graphics card thread helps somebody having issues.
Here's my Sanity Checker link

t_riikonen

AMD OS X Member
Could you please post link to the Reddit article you refer to? I have had very similar problems. Currently quite often booting goes well (Cataline and Win 10), but too often Gigagyte BIOS CSM Mode settings automatically switches from Disabled to Enabled and that's when the problems start. I have had a long discussion with Gigabyte eSupport and they haven't provided a good answer to me yet.

I have Gigabyte X570 ITX mobo and Sapphire Pulse RX 580 GPU.

Hbg1968

AMD OS X Member
Sorry for the delay.
It was on Discord

SUNNY (TTL)09/08/2020
AMD Motherboards BIOS Settings for macOS installation:
Disable: Fast Boot Secure Boot Serial/COM Port Parallel Port Compatibility Support Module (CSM)(Must be off, GPU errors like gIO are common when this option in enabled)

Special note for 3990X users: macOS currently does not support more than 64 threads in the kernel, and so will kernel panic if it sees more. The 3990X CPU has 128 threads total and so requires half of that disabled. We recommend disabling hyper threading in the BIOS for these situations.

Enable: Above 4G decoding(This must be on, if you can't find the option then add npci=0x2000 to boot-args. Do not have both this option and npci enabled at the same time) EHCI/XHCI Hand-off OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode SATA Mode: AHCI

If you haven't already, also post your issue on Discord. The best 2 channels to use are

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.