RX5700xt Catalina choppy mouse

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Anyone else experiencing this problem in Catalina with RX5700xt? The mouse pointer sometimes "jumps" and the movement is choppy.

I had no such problem when I had the rx590.

Any solution?

Last edited:

zhaohuan325

AMD OS X Member
I also have this problem, don't know how to solve it, my graphics card is VEGA64

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Any update on this? It seems a lot of people, especially with Vega or 5700 opus experience this mouse lag.

I am starting to think that it must be a problem with the macOS drivers for 5700.
My rx590 never had this problem.

Hopefully it will be fixed when a new update comes.

Kylex89

AMD OS X Member
Any update on this? It seems a lot of people, especially with Vega or 5700 opus experience this mouse lag.

I am starting to think that it must be a problem with the macOS drivers for 5700.
My rx590 never had this problem.

Hopefully it will be fixed when a new update comes.

I was having this same issue with my 5700XT, and I think I discovered that WhateverGreen.kext was causing the issue. However, I have 2 monitors, so I need WhateverGreen.kext to enable both monitors.

Then, I was messing around, and I found out that if/when I switch to MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, both monitors work! So, I ditched WhateverGreen.kext, and the mouse issue hasn't reared its ugly head again.

-Kyle

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I was having this same issue with my 5700XT, and I think I discovered that WhateverGreen.kext was causing the issue. However, I have 2 monitors, so I need WhateverGreen.kext to enable both monitors.

Then, I was messing around, and I found out that if/when I switch to MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, both monitors work! So, I ditched WhateverGreen.kext, and the mouse issue hasn't reared its ugly head again.

-Kyle

You think I should try it? My only concern is that I have an Ryzen CPU, so would it be OK if I change my SMBios to MacPro7,1 (is it MacPro7,1 or iMacPro7,1 ?)
Right now I have the iMacPro1,1 smbios, as stated in the guide for Zen CPUs.

I tried just ditching the WEG kext, still booted without any problem but the laggy mouse problem was still there.

The funny thing is that I did not have this issue with my rx590. I just swapped cards and added the agdpmod=pikera boot arg. So it is definitely GPU related.

Kylex89

AMD OS X Member
You think I should try it? My only concern is that I have an Ryzen CPU, so would it be OK if I change my SMBios to MacPro7,1 (is it MacPro7,1 or iMacPro7,1 ?)
Right now I have the iMacPro1,1 smbios, as stated in the guide for Zen CPUs.

I tried just ditching the WEG kext, still booted without any problem but the laggy mouse problem was still there.

The funny thing is that I did not have this issue with my rx590. I just swapped cards and added the agdpmod=pikera boot arg. So it is definitely GPU related.

In the guide, it also mentions other SMBIOS, and it specifically says that "some SMBIOS play with certain GPUs better than others" (link).

It also gives a list of SMBIOS that you can use:
  • iMacPro1,1: AMD RX Polaris and newer
  • MacPro7,1: AMD RX Polaris and newer(Note that MacPro7,1 is also a Catalina exclusive)
  • MacPro6,1: AMD R5/R7/R9 and older
  • iMac14,2: Nvidia Kepler and newer
For me, my 5700xt plays WAY better with the 2nd option - MacPro7,1.

-Kyle

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
In the guide, it also mentions other SMBIOS, and it specifically says that "some SMBIOS play with certain GPUs better than others" (link).

• MacPro7,1: AMD RX Polaris and newer(Note that MacPro7,1 is also a Catalina exclusive)

-Kyle

I will try that for sure and let you know. Thank you my friend!

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

-Kyle

I tried changing the smbios to MacPro7,1 but I got a message after reboot that my memory is not recognized properly as it is not corresponding to this model (something like that). Fyi I have 16gb of memory (two slots, 8gb each) and I think that the default memory of the MacPro7,1 was 32gb. Could that be the problem...?
Also, the small lag of the mouse was still there (less noticeable though). Should I run GenSmbios again and change all values? (i.e. not only the model id from iMacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1)
I could try to also remove my WEG kext and try again, but what about the memory problem?

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@madvinegar It's because you are not using ECC memory, there is a Kext to suppress this warning: https://github.com/IOIIIO/MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler

Thanx. Tried it, indeed the message was gone, but still the memory was not properly recognized as when I was opening the "about Mac" and going to the memory tab, it was crashing (the "about Mac" was crashing, not the PC).
Then I tried to remove the WEG kext, I rebooted, the memory error message popped up again (?), and then the system got stuck. I had to hard reboot via the reboot button of the PC.

So, I reverted all changes as they were. I don't think that 7,1 smbios works good for my system... :)

Thanks anyway my friend!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler requires WEG. I also have the crash on the memory tab, but not really an issue otherwise.

So how can I combine having the 7,1 smbios, without the WEG kext, and without the memory error message?

If I change to 7,1smbios I get the memory error message. Then I install the MemoryNotification kext to get rid of the error, but this needs also the WEG kext (otherwise the system crashes). But if I keep the WEG kext, then I will still have the mouse lag problem (you said that WEG is causing it).

freeubi

AMD OS X Member
Thats just a message, dont worry about it.
The memory is used normally without any sideffects.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.