Request for updated GPU buyers guide

agent2

Donator
Donator
Hi there,

I was flying through the Hackintosh GPU buyers guide and the author explicitly mentions some AIBs to avoid such as PowerColor and XFX.

What I found confusing was that when naming the models from the respective AIB to avoid they are older Vega or Polaris versions and not Navi variants. It seems that this section hasn’t been updated in a while and if this guide is still to be taken as serious, which I think people should, the writers of it should update their recommendations and include Navi variants such as all the RX 5500/5600XT models as these also are different in their cooler specs (e. g. the Gigabyte Windforce RX 5600XT should be avoided because of it’s bad cooling performance and the lack of 14Gbps memory).

To get back to the PowerColor and XFX topic, especially with the Navi launch, cards such as the Red Dragon/Devil and THICC/RAW versions work perfectly fine with OS X as I haven’t seen a boatload of people reporting that one of these models are malfunctioning or so. To add to that the Navi cards the only recommended ones are only RX 5700XT variant, no 5700/5600XT/5500XT mentioned. Even the RDNA models in the lists are the classic ones you would find work just like Polaris/Vega (e. g. Sapphire Pulse/Nitro) so it doesn’t seem a lot of effort was put into that section.

So to put this into one sentence:

Could someone contact the author of this guide (maybe the other guides too) and get that person or the responsible team to collect some newer information regarding the Navi compatibility of AIB models and refrain from saying stuff like NO PowerColor or XFX models would work with OS X.

It’s just confusing for newbies who don’t know that much about GPUs like some of us.

Maybe to help contribute to this matter some people could post some feedback in this thread and what Navi models they are using and if they have had problems of not so we can kickstart this topic! :)

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

agent2

Donator
Donator
You could open an issue or create a pull request with proposed changes here: https://github.com/dortania/GPU-Buyers-Guide
Yes thank you for you suggestion but before one goes ahead with a request saying x and y should be changed can at least a few people maybe say which RDNA models they've had and just say if it has been causing issues or not.
But I will see what I can do and will ask when I have the chance.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.