Request for AMD CPU support

Arjun Pokharel

AMD OS X Member
Hi Guys,

This is the best forum I have ever seen to solve technical issues in AMD.

I have a Mini PC recently purchased from Amazon. Configuration is like this:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX (AMD K19)
Codename : Cezanne

Motherboard : AZW GTR
Chipset : AMD Promontory | Bixby FCH

Video : AMD Radeon Vega
(AMD Cezanne - Internal GPU)

Storage : Intel NVME Controller (Intel SSD)

Audio and Display : ATI / AMD Renoir | Cezanne
Audio : AMD Zen | RealTek ALC269

LAN : RTL8125

Wifi : MediaTek RZ608 (MT 7921K)

The above specification detail is taken through AIDA64.

Can anyone here tell me if the above hardware specification support Mac OS BigSur or Monterey?

Thank you guys ....! Cheers !

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Unfortunately no it doesn't support running macOS, any version, as it uses an AMD Integrated GPU' Radeon Graphics'. There aren't any AMD integrated GPU's that are supported in macOS.

These Integrated GPU's have to be disabled when running macOS, and a discrete GPU used for all graphics processes in macOS.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi Guys,

This is the best forum I have ever seen to solve technical issues in AMD.

I have a Mini PC recently purchased from Amazon. Configuration is like this:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX (AMD K19)

Motherboard : AZW GTR
Chipset : AMD Promontory | Bixby FCH

Video : AMD Radeon Vega
(AMD Cezanne - Internal GPU)

Storage : Intel NVME Controller (Intel SSD)

Audio and Display : ATI / AMD Renoir | Cezanne
Audio : AMD Zen | RealTek ALC269

LAN : RTL8125

Wifi : MediaTek RZ608 (MT 7921K)

The above specification detail is taken through AIDA64.

Can anyone here tell me if the above hardware specification support Mac OS BigSur or Monterey?

Thank you guys ....! Cheers !
Hi Arjun,

Thanks for your specs post. Looking at it I think I know which computer you're talking about (and it's very tempting!).
I know that @Edhawk has mentioned that there has been no AMD APU ever working with macOS, but developments have been happening so very rapidly lately here that not even the mods are aware of it. (sorry Ed!)

We recently had some successes that finally resolved the long-standing issue of AMD laptops with APUs not working on macOS. I can now confirm we are now able to successfully boot Big Sur and Monterey on not just on the Legion 5 5800H laptop with 6600M chipset (with full graphics acceleration in Monterey) but that the Vega 8 is finally working on Monterey (albeit in VESA mode). The posts can be found here:

Not only that, but the Atari VCS (a dual core Ryzen) can also boot Monterey 12.4, and even Ventura. Under Ventura the Vega 3 APU is able to run at full 4K (albeit without acceleration) and macOS recognises it as a 5K Retina Display (if you are connected to a 4K screen).

So going back to your system, I have done something. Using @lev12345's EFI for his 5800H system I have changed some of the details to fit your 5800HX system which should work with it (Cezanne chipset). I attach it here. Let us know if it works for you.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.6 MB · Views: 22

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@Middleman not a problem making a correction if I have misinformed someone. Definitely wouldn't take offence by being corrected.

The reason I said @Arjun Pokharel system wouldn't fly is because it lacks a compatible discrete GPU, which all the new 'working' laptops use. I forgot about your Atari hack.

Arjun Pokharel

AMD OS X Member
Thank you so much to both my gurus @Middleman and @Edhawk for your support. An special thanks to @Middleman who has provided me big support by sharing EFI folder. I have downloaded it, and I will do rest of the process to create Monterey bootable USB and give a try.

I will share the screenshots either success or any kernel panic.

Wish me a best of luck guys ...... :love::love:

Arjun Pokharel

AMD OS X Member
Hi @Middleman , I need your support please.

The EFI folder that you shared, I used as it is without any modification. But the system shows error as in the picture. Could you please look into this matter and advise me what I need to do to be able to install monterey?

Attachments

• IMG_1695.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi @Middleman , I need your support please.

The EFI folder that you shared, I used as it is without any modification. But the system shows error as in the picture. Could you please look into this matter and advise me what I need to do to be able to install monterey?
Alright Arjun,

Try this EFI and add your own UUIDs, ROM and serials. It may work with your setup. It is evolved from the current setup of one of our other recent posters
who has it working with the 5800H. Unfortunately your Cezanne videocard is very new so we have to test different configurations.

Aside from testing this, it would be great if you could do a DSDT BIOS dump of your system preferably using a copy of Clover.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.6 MB · Views: 9

Arjun Pokharel

AMD OS X Member
Hi @Middleman ,

I tried the EFI, but the result is same. Please see the EFI error screen shot file.

Also, I tried clover boot. Since working around clover is new to me, I don't know what to do next. I just took some pictures to let you know what I got on the screen. I hope you will guide me to provide you more information from Clover until you prepare a working EFI folder for Monterey.

Please have a look at these attached files. If you could manage EFI folder after checking these screenshots, it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1706.JPG
    IMG_1706.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1705.JPG
    IMG_1705.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1703.JPG
    IMG_1703.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1702.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1701.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 7
  • EFI Error.JPG
    EFI Error.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Arjun Pokharel

AMD OS X Member
Also, some more hardware information from Windows Device Manager attached here (if required).

Attachments

• CPU, Sound, Network.png
    CPU, Sound, Network.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Display and Other.png
    Display and Other.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 13
  • System Devices.png
    System Devices.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 11
  • System Info.png
    System Info.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 9
  • USB Serial Bus Controller.png
    USB Serial Bus Controller.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 18

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi @Middleman ,

I tried the EFI, but the result is same. Please see the EFI error screen shot file.

Also, I tried clover boot. Since working around clover is new to me, I don't know what to do next. I just took some pictures to let you know what I got on the screen. I hope you will guide me to provide you more information from Clover until you prepare a working EFI folder for Monterey.

Please have a look at these attached files. If you could manage EFI folder after checking these screenshots, it would be much appreciated.
Hi Arjun,

Okay that's good. What I need you to do is with Clover, grab a copy of your BIOS DSDT. To do that press F4 at the Clover boot menu. What it will do is dump a copy of your BIOS to the ACPI/origin folder. You'll need to compress it as zip file and send that to me.

With your OC error, it seems you may be missing a CpuTscSync or VoodooTsc.kext.kext.

Thanks for the device manager info. Could you please post what your hardware ids are for the display and for the sound?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member

WalidB

AMD OS X Member
I will give it a try with my new mini pc arriving in few hours. Thanks
@Middleman,

I managed to make the installation without any trouble, unfortunately video acceleration seams not possible right now with the Amd Radeon TM APU (Renoir) also wifi and bluetouth not working neither the wired connexion :)
I took a look to the EFI you posted in the begining, had the same crash as arjun. while coparing the 2 EFIs, there is differences in the device properties (empty for the one that succeded doing the installation process) Surely there is not a lot to sort out the panic issue.

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I managed to make the installation without any trouble, unfortunately video acceleration seams not possible right now with the Amd Radeon TM APU (Renoir) also wifi and bluetouth not working neither the wired connexion :)
I will dig tomorrow for updates
Congrats! That sounds great that you've managed to install it. For the WiFi BT and LAN check which brand of card you have. Intel requires the following files from OpenIntelWireless: Airportitlwm (stable), IntelBluetoothFirmware, BlueToolFixup, IntelBTPatcher.

Broadcom/Fenvi requires AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BlueToolFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext, BrcmPatchRAM3.

Intel LAN does not require a driver but setting of e1000=0 in boot-arg and AppleI2xx.kext plus device-id of F3158680 in PCIRoot tree.

Realtek LAN needs LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Congrats! That sounds great that you've managed to install it. For the WiFi BT and LAN check which brand of card you have. Intel requires the following files from OpenIntelWireless: Airportitlwm (stable), IntelBluetoothFirmware, BlueToolFixup, IntelBTPatcher.

Broadcom/Fenvi requires AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BlueToolFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext, BrcmPatchRAM3.

Intel LAN does not require a driver but setting of e1000=0 in boot-arg and AppleI2xx.kext plus device-id of F3158680 in PCIRoot tree.

Realtek LAN needs LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext.
Fenvi cards don't need any extra Kexts, and e1000=0 + device-id spoof is only needed on some systems.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.