Random freezes, only mouse cursor works

LazyBayes

AMD OS X Member
Same here. Driving me nuts and is quickly becoming a deal breaker for me. It happens whenever I play video (particularly youtube) or a game. I feel like it has something to do with the GPU. Are either of you using riser cables for your build? I have a Radeon VII which is also Vega. Perhaps an issue with the Vega architecture?

I have a dual boot setup and the GPUs are working fine in Windows, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Last edited:

viper69

AMD OS X Member
I'm also experiencing the same issue on a new AMD 3950X/Gigabyte X570 Xtreme/Radeon VII build. When it occurs the kernel logs are flooded with the following:

localhost kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelFenceMachine::fence_timeout(IOTimerEventSource *): AMDRadeonAccelerator prodding blockFenceInterrupt

The same error also sporadically shows up here and there, but it usually only causes minor video lag as the system is able to recover quickly. These errors never occur on my Intel Hackintosh which is also using a Radeon VII. You can monitor your system for these errors via terminal using the following command:

sudo log stream --predicate 'process == "kernel"' --style syslog | grep "AMD"

I believe this is all related to poor GPU performance that plagues AMD Hackintoshes and is noted in this open issue:

knucklehead19

AMD OS X Member
I am also seeing this exact issue on my recently built system (AMD 3800x, Gigabyte x570 Pro Wifi, Radeon VII).

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.