Radeon VII OpenCL Or Metal Not Working : Mojave 10.14.6

Mesgen23

AMD OS X Member
Hello all!

I just finished building my second Hackintosh (first one being an intel hack) and I have everything running beautifully. I followed the main AMD OSX installation guide along with iGPUs guide. Awesome stuff. Everything is working including the Radeon VII card, however, the GPU is only partially working? I downloaded DaVinci Resolve and as soon as I open it, I get the error message saying 'DaVinci Resolve could not find any OpenCL capable GPUs'. When I go into DaVinci preferences and look in the GPU section, the Radeon VII is not shown. Which, I assume, means that the GPU isn't 'fully' configured. Although the Radeon VII is natively supported with Mojave. I even tried to do a test bench using GeekBench and the 'Compute' section for the GPU is greyed out.

I spent about 4 hours trying to search and see what could be the issue but I'm still unsuccessful. Any input would be greatly appreciated! My IOREG file is attached.

System Build:
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
SMBIOS: iMacPro1,1
MOBO: AsRock X570 Creator
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 12 core
GPU: AMD Radeon Vii
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz 32GB
System Disk: Samsung SSD 960 PRO 512GB
PSU: EVGA 850W

Attachments

• Mesgen23_iMacPro_IOREG.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 3

Mesgen23

AMD OS X Member
Finding my way back to my original post, I forgot to update and comment that this has been solved. I fixed this issue on May 18th. All of the answers that people were posting online said "change your PCIe x16 slot to Gen 3 in the bios and the metal gpu compute will work" That however did not work for me. Exhausted from the countless hours of researching, for the hell of it I changed the setting from Gen 3 to Gen 2 in the bios and the metal computing worked immediately.

So if anyone comes across this issue with the Asrock X570 Creator, select Gen 2 to get the metal compute working on your Raedeon VII (specifically when running Mojave 10.14.6).

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.