AMD OS X Member
System:
Motherboard: Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 7, iGPU is disabled in the BIOS
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
GPU: Asrock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX VEGA 56 8G
SSD: M2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB
Clover bootloader
MacOS: Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287)

Catalina was installed fresh, no upgrade using opencore guide (excellent work). Everything works- sound, network, I even installed M2 Wifi/blutooth card.

System works perfectly fine when connected to TV directly either using the HDMI or the display port. However, when connected to the A/V receiver it freezes. A/V receiver passes through the video signal. I have many inputs on the A/V receiver and behavior is same on all.

When I boot initially it works, BIOS POST, then OS X loading and login screen, when all of a sudden the screen blinks like it refreshes and the system freezes before the login. That random refresh is not happening when connected to the TV directly.

[SOLUTION]
Problem appeared to be in AMD drover's handling of HDCP authentication- from the trace of the crash report.

Solution is to eliminate HDCP. I don't know how to do this in the driver or if that's even possible, but there is a good hardware solution- HDMI splitter. Not just any splitter, but one that doesn't conform, or doesn't implement HDCP.

This cheep HDMI splitter does the job very well - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.