Radeon Pro VII announced! (Multi-GPU is back!)

If you were in the market for a Radeon Pro VII for Creation on Ryzentosh, would you go dual-GPU?

• Yes I would!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

agent2

Donator
Donator
Hi everyone,

I saw the announcement of AMD's upcoming Radeon Pro VII a week back and I am really excited what that card has to offer!

This card is literally a consumer version of the Radeon Instinct MI50 just like the Radeon VII and the best bit is that is also sports the Infinity Fabric fingers which give it the ability to run in multi-GPU together! The Infinity fabric bridge is available in a two- and three-slot variant. Sadly there is no possibility to hook them up in a 4-way configuration like the Instinct cards unless someone can dig up an 8-slot bridge from a datacenter… But I’m so stoked to see this with all the extra features it has over the RX version like ECC memory, the I/O portion of the Instinct card (PCIe 4.0, six miniDisplayPorts, Infinity Fabric etc.)

Seeing this announcement made some questions pop up in my head which I hope some you could answer:
  1. Will this card have Mojave support because it is literally a Vega 20 GPU? Or is macOS GPU compatibility on a BIOS-only solution or maybe because it has different I/O (PCIe 4.0 instead of 3.0 on the RX version)
  2. Will it work properly with the Infinity Fabric bridge in tandem on Ryzentosh? The Mac Pro uses the same thing on the Pro Vega II/Duo (be it on the PCB or the external interconnect) or does there have to be any extra hackery done?
  3. If the Infinity Fabric bridge would work, will it work on any SMBIOS or does it have to be on the MacPro 7,1 one?
Please feel free to discuss here if you are excited for this card and if you yourself have questions, drop them here too!

Last edited:

agent2

Donator
Donator
UPDATE: I contacted AMD in their US HQ today, and I finally got an answer to why this graphics cards hasn't been released yet since it's initial press release in May.
COVID-19 seems to have delayed this thing's shipping and it will supposedly be available around the end of October in the US and Europe (I only asked for Germany specifically).
They finally provided me with the absolute ONLY listing online of this at B&H Photo: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1570531-REG/amd_100_506163_radeon_pro_vii_16gb.html
This is literally the sole place where to actually buy it, their distributors don't even have it listed.
Hopefully some people can get their hands on this thing and report whether this works with Mojave and multi-GPU!

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
@agent2 :
Hi !
I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced by AMD arguments.
The COVID is a nice excuse but it cannot explain why AMD didn't release it.
  • I think you won't see this card because it's too late and radeon VII was a flop.
  • Secondly, Nvidia unveiled their RTX 3000 at a low price and AMD is bad posture now...
And don't forget about GPU from Intel.

AMD need to be very persuasive or cheaper than Nvidia.
They said one of their GPU will be better than the 2080Ti, but I'm afraid they didn't anticipate the price and the power of the 3080 !
And i think they talked about the best Navi 6xxx...

So wait and see, but, sorry to disappoint you, we shouldn't see a new radeon VII :)

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The Radeon VII was flop mostly if you're a gamer. It was built as a compute card and was not too bad one at that.

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
So why did AMD present this GPU as a gaming GPU in 1440p to face the 2070 - 2080 from nvidia ?
it wasn't a compute card at all, it was the first 7nm GPU produced by AMD before the Navi cards.

I think are confounding with the professional GPU like the W5500 or the W5700 ;)

agent2

Donator
Donator
@manoueltiger what you are saying is extremely confusing and I'm not going to feed you if you are a troll, but here I go anyway:
First of all, I don't know what you mean by saying it's "too late" as there is a dumb trend that B2B/HPC/Workstation products launch a lot later than the press release states, as it's expected not to receive too much attention from consumers.
Second I agree with @Aluveitie that your comment that the VII was a flop is nonsense. This card is a compute/workstation powerhouse and was a banger in price/performance for professionals. The gamers were disappointed but for the Mac and Pro community it was a hit because you were sold server gear for cheap.
So why did AMD present this GPU as a gaming GPU in 1440p to face the 2070 - 2080 from nvidia ?
it wasn't a compute card at all, it was the first 7nm GPU produced by AMD before the Navi cards.
This is also very misleading how you pointed this out: It was marketed as a gaming GPU right at the beginning because RDNA was delayed and RTG needed a stopgap solution.
Your second sentence is also rubbish because AMD took their datacentre card (Radeon Instinct MI50/60) and sold it to consumers as the Radeon VII. That card is a MASSIVE calculator so to speak. So yeah it "computes" to the eyeballs! The Pro VII adds pro features such as ECC VRAM and the unlocked FP64 performance. And the second part of that sentence is BS because it conflicts with the first part. Yes it was AMD's first 7nm GPU but that doesn't mean it can't be a compute card. It's like saying an acrobat can't perform a backflip because he consists of meat and muscle.
I think are confounding with the professional GPU like the W5500 or the W5700 ;)
What does that mean? Those two cards you mentioned have been on sale for ages and the first part of your sentence makes no sense because you need to actually complete your posts before you hit post.
  • Secondly, Nvidia unveiled their RTX 3000 at a low price and AMD is bad posture now...
And don't forget about GPU from Intel.

AMD need to be very persuasive or cheaper than Nvidia.
They said one of their GPU will be better than the 2080Ti, but I'm afraid they didn't anticipate the price and the power of the 3080 !
And i think they talked about the best Navi 6xxx...

So wait and see, but, sorry to disappoint you, we shouldn't see a new radeon VII :)
That it absolutely irrelevant as GeForce cards are consumer cards and this card's is supposed to challenge Quadros at a lower price and more performance. And the dGPUs from Intel will not show up for a year (at least). This stuff you're spewing at me is talk about the consumer gaming GPUs which I haven't been talking about and didn't even mean until you decided to tell me that AMD will absolutely NOT release a new Radeon VII.
Did you get the memo? Did you read the press release from MAY? Are you not convinced enough that we aren't here to talk about gaming and that this community is about Hackintoshing and not booting Windows to play the latest AAA game.
So please do your homework before you start telling me about the latest AMD GPU releases unless you work there and have other information than the person I talked to about this graphics card being cancelled.

Got anything else you would like to enlighten me with?

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
wow wow wow calm down dude or I will let you alone with your topic ... I'm not a troll don't be so rude ok ?

You are just dreaming because you had an answer in may, and now we have the radeon 6000 coming in a few weekks so I don't know what you need to understand what I mean...
I wasn't talking about gaming.

- First of all, the Radeon VII is a flop whatever you can say. Yes, it's a nice and powerful card, but a card with a lot of issues, expensive, power-hungry. And they stopped selling it 6 months after.

- And no macusers don't care about this card because they buy Apple computers so they don't need a radeon VII as AMD don't care about Hackintosh dude, and you need to read that again, AMD, Apple and nvidia DON'T care about us so stop dreaming, they want to sell GPU and CPU, and you, me and AMD OS X community are a tiny community and they no interest from us.
They need to make money and sell components.

Ok ?

I didn't want to make you angry, I just wanted to open your eyes.
Do what you want now.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
AMD had left-over Instinct GPUs, built the VII out of it and sold almost all of them. It was win for AMD (they did earn some money instead of wasting the chips) and for professionals wanting a fast compute card for cheap.

The VII still has ~7x the FP64 performance of an RTX 3080 just for some comparison.

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
AMD had left-over Instinct GPUs, built the VII out of it and sold almost all of them. It was win for AMD (they did earn some money instead of wasting the chips) and for professionals wanting a fast compute card for cheap.

The VII still has ~7x the FP64 performance of an RTX 3080 just for some comparison.
Where did you get this information please ?
Because review just started yesterday on the rtx3000 and the 2080Ti where very close to the fp64 performance of the Radeon VII.

the only thing I found was on the Nvidia website, and they talk about a big improvement of the perf fp64.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I've compared it here:

agent2

Donator
Donator
You are just dreaming because you had an answer in may, and now we have the radeon 6000 coming in a few weekks so I don't know what you need to understand what I mean...
I wasn't talking about gaming.
First of all what does "you are dreaming" mean? I just received an answer the day before yesterday, not May. How about you look at date when I posted my update.
The Radeon RX 6000 series has nothing to do with the Radeon Pro VII as IT IS IN THE NAME. RX denotes gaming graphics cards and Pro denotes, guess what? PROFESSIONALS. So the two releases have nothing in common. Unless AMD releases prosumer versions of RDNA2 which they haven't even hinted at with their announcement. But I am still of the opinion that we will see pro RDNA2 cards, albeit later. If you weren't talking about gaming then why are you constantly referencing their gaming GPUs?
First of all, the Radeon VII is a flop whatever you can say. Yes, it's a nice and powerful card, but a card with a lot of issues, expensive, power-hungry. And they stopped selling it 6 months after.
First of all, you are still talking nonsense. The gamers didn't like it because it cost the same as the RTX 2080 but didn't offer more performance, it was around the same, if not a little less. Yes it had driver issues at launch, but for prosumers this card was a hit because this was all a content creator/prosumer could ask for: Loads of memory bandwidth, 16GB of VRAM and massive compute power. And the power draw matters to nobody except the gamers who want to run this on their 80+ 550W PSU. And as for them stopping production, they stopped production of the consumer model because it was a stopgap flagship for the 5700XT. They are still manufacturing it as a datacentre card (MI50/MI60).
And no macusers don't care about this card because they buy Apple computers so they don't need a radeon VII as AMD don't care about Hackintosh dude, and you need to read that again, AMD, Apple and nvidia DON'T care about us so stop dreaming, they want to sell GPU and CPU, and you, me and AMD OS X community are a tiny community and they no interest from us.
They need to make money and sell components.

Ok ?
I love how you try to sell me your BS as gospel when you can't string together any sense wherever you type.
We are ALL consumers and professionals. Some Mac users buy these cards to run them in their eGPU setups and we as PC users buy them because they are PC GRAPHICS CARDS. They go in PCs. Novel idea to you? AMD doesn't give a flying **** what operating system you use their GPU with as long as you have bought it.
So what are you trying to tell me about this being a Hackintosh community? Well done you've read the title of the website and forum.
Wrong one for you? Go "dream" elsewhere with your nonsensical know-it-all talk.
This forum exists because we all love Macs and the underlying operating system. We all have different strengths, which contributes to a flourishing community.
I made a post about a graphics card that was released by AMD which is based upon a GPU that has support in macOS Mojave. I just wrote an update about it's availability after contacting AMD themselves and getting confirmation that we should see it soon. Then YOU come along to magically tell us that there will never be a Radeon VII released again and that we can all dream. Please remove yourself from this forum if you just go in random threads to **** on someone's research.

Now what did you want to tell me about Ampere being so awesome vs Vega 20? Oh. NVIDIA hasn't been supported by this community since Turing. Wrong forum.
Once you've found a fix on how to get a 3080 going in macOS, please tell us how you did so. We would be delighted to hear how a nobody like you single-handed wrote drivers for this GPU on a kernel level for macOS.

Have a lovely day!

Last edited:

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
Ahahah, you are so naive ...
A Radeon VII in a eGPU .
NOBODY USES A EGPU !!! Hackintosh community interest nobody, what did not you understand here ?

Bye
I won't lose my time with you again.
Bye with your topic, I understand why nobody answered, you should think about it. We can't debate with you...

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Not for Hackintosh, but there are quite some Mac users that use eGPUs to boost productivity... Who else are all those eGPU cases for?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The vII was not a flop, it was a stop gap until the RX 5700 XT was ready, and they sold every VII they made so...

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.