R7 3700X | Aorus X570 Elite | Gigabyte RX Vega 64 | 10.15.5 | Clover 5118

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Heyas folks, just thought that I would share my success story! I had been using a rock solid i7 3770K Z77X-UD5H system for the past 8 years but decided to switch to Team Red after the boot loaders now patch AMD CPUs on-the-fly as they do Intel. My first ever Hackintosh back in the day was an AMD 64 AM2 system (I think) that I found in the trash. From there I moved on to an Athlon and eventually settled with a Phenom II before switching to Intel's (then new) Core i platform. I must say, things have come a very very long way since the early days of Chameleon and patched AMD Kernels.

System Specs:

System:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Gigabyte X570 Elite
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC Gaming
2x8GB Thermaltake 3600MHz CL18 DDR4 Thoughram

Storage:
500GB WB Blue PCI 3.0 NVME (Mac OS)
500GB ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G (Windows 10)
4x WD Black 1TB
1x WD Black 1.5TB
1x Segate 3GB (hot'n noisy... typical)

Peripherals:
Corsair K70 Lux RGB Cherry Brown
Corsair M65 Pro (Black)

Displays:
Samsung C27JG5x 27" WQHD 144Hz Curved (Main display)
Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW 24" WUXGA (Secondary display)

Case: Thermaltake Level 20 XT

EFI:
(EFI folder attached below)

Bootloader: Clover version 5118

ACPI:
SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD
SSDT-NVME
SSDT-PLUG
SSDT-XHC

Kexts:
AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
AppleALC.kext
Lilu.kext
SmallTree-Intel-211VA-PCIe-GBE.kext
SMCAMDProcessor.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

My install method was simple. Since I already had a working Hackintosh, I simply used the UniBeast install method to make a USB installer and updated Clover (was 5117 at the time IIRC). Easy breezy! For more info on that see below.
Edit: Make sure to disable Above 4G Decoding in the BIOS if you are using my EFI folder.

99.9% ROCK SOLID performance! Everything works except sleep. Despite having a custom SSDT for USB (not necessary though as all ports work OOB), sleep only works if it is set to auto and no USB devices are plugged in/active. Not that much of an issue as scheduled startup and shutdown work fine and are what I use normally, regardless if sleep works or not. It still irks me that I am so close to having working sleep but something eludes me. Even turning off my RGB Unicorn vomit has no effect. Ah well, this same issue persisted on Intel for years and still plagues many users on newer Z390/490 systems so I have faith that someday the community will find a solution for us AMD users. #AMDSLEEPMATTERS :ROFLMAO:

Something I would like to point out to both bring attention to and get the project rolling is piss-poor openCL and Metal performance. Many of you are aware that Apple nerfed GPU performance that results, on average regardless of GPU, 20 000 points difference using Geekbench 5's Compute bench, let alone other benchmarks AND real world application! For example, in Windows Geekbench 5 my Vega 64 gets 88 000 in compute. In Mac OS I get 66 000. You may say " Well, that's expected! " and to that I would say WRONG! I have started an AMD amd-radeon-performance-enhanced-ssdt thread here. Check it out and lets get this going!

Oh, one last thing! Clover! Yes, you read that correctly. I am using Clover as a boot loader, and it works as always: FANTASTIC! I am not sure which version started including AMD CPU on-the-fly patching of the Kernel, but hey, it works and best of all you don't have to tear out your hair and want to ram your first through the screen trying to manually configure both the config.plist and reconfiguration with each new OpenCore release. Yup, Clover works, Clover Configurator works. Hell, Clover even now has a patch that emulates NullIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext! Booya! All-in-all, you can get a fully working vanilla install of Mac OS using Clover. In terms of speed, Mac OS CPU and OpenGL benchmarks results mirror that of Windows down to margin of error.

IMG_3408.jpg

Yup, that's right. I have the fan assembly for the Wraith cooler double sided Gorilla taped pointed towards the NVME drives and GPU. I needed more RGB to fill the dark void.

Attachments

• Bansaku's EFI.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:

barrrrt

AMD OS X Member
Hi.. did you build that EFI from scratch? I would like to give clover a chance to boot my system too.

But.. unfortunately... I run into a panic :(

IMG_3221.jpg

If you have any guide how I can create a working EFI for clover, that would be fantastic.

Bopbi

AMD OS X Member
@Bansaku Great set up. Thanks for the EFI folder. It works great, switched from opencore to clover . Made my fps just like previous intel hackintosh. GREAT!

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
@Bansaku Great set up. Thanks for the EFI folder. It works great, switched from opencore to clover . Made my fps just like previous intel hackintosh. GREAT!

Fantastic! Glad I could help. Are you using X570 Elite?

Hi.. did you build that EFI from scratch? I would like to give clover a chance to boot my system too.

But.. unfortunately... I run into a panic :(

If you have any guide how I can create a working EFI for clover, that would be fantastic.

Yes, I built the EFI folder from scratch. What I did first was head over here and downloaded the Clover EFI as a test. From there I took a look at what my system needed and what was not. Next, I basically installed standard Clover for EFI boot and threw in my Kexts and SSDTs along with a completed config.plist. @Shaneee also tried out my EFI and ran into a panic as well. Perhaps it's an MSI thing (or Gigabyte thing).

Edit: Perhaps try searching for KP on Clover with MSI boards. Maybe there is a patch needed or something? I have exclusively used Gigabyte boards for the 15 years of Hackintoshing as they are the most compatible and have always stayed clear of MSI and ASUS because of their issues on Intel systems. So far the only thing MSI seems to have going for it is more reports of sleep working on AMD systems.

Last edited:

barrrrt

AMD OS X Member
It seems more CPU related.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@barrrrt it looks like MacOS thinks you have a 24 core CPU and expects 48 threads

charliebounce

AMD OS X Member
I get exactly the same kernel panic when I try your EFI. I also have everything working with OpenCore including sleep (with USB keyboard unplugged).

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
Getting the same panic on my Asrock A320M Ryzen 3600. Finding 12 threads but expects 24, really seems cpu related. Could be problem converting algrey patches to clover?

charliebounce

AMD OS X Member
I believe the main reason X570 motherboards are not sleeping is because they are based on ACPI 6.2 whilst B450 and earlier are based on ACPI 5.1!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
X570 can sleep, but they are very picky about attached USB devices and USB controllers.

charliebounce

AMD OS X Member
You're right, it does sleep for me when I have only my bluetooth dongle plugged in and no usb keyboard/mouse.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.