[Pre-Release] macOS Monterey

Ploddles

AMD OS X Member
@Shaneee any news on how the beta 2 patches are coming along. It's gone very quiet on here but I understand a number of people are using/testing them without issue.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
The patches themselves work yes but we are working on something special to hopefully future proof the one that causes the most issues.

Ploddles

AMD OS X Member
Intriguing 😀

Seyven

AMD OS X Member
Looks like SmallTreeIntel82576.kext is broken in beta 1. Does anybody know a workaround?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Looks like SmallTreeIntel82576.kext is broken in beta 1. Does anybody know a workaround?
Unfortunately not, I have reported the fault to the Dev of the kext and he's acknowledged it so we will just have to wait for him or somebody smart enough to fix kext I'm afraid. :(

Last edited:

savage001

AMD OS X Member

Ploddles

AMD OS X Member
@Shaneee how are the patches working with Monterey Beta 3, released earlier today?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
The new patches are working like a champion with Beta3
Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 18.52.39.png

reinierlazo

AMD OS X Member
where are the new patches:inseguro:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru

Riggs_Martin

AMD OS X Member
:)
No Big Sur! Dead born sample... Yes Monterey!

savage001

AMD OS X Member
They are on the horizon and getting closer ;)

How’s your Ethernet? Any joy with beta 2 or 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
How’s your Ethernet? Any joy with beta 2 or 3?

No joy with the small tree kext no. My X570-E also has a Realtek 2.5gb Ethernet port using the LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext and that is fine so I’m just using that port for now.

Getting the small tree kext fixed might be a problem as khronokernel doesn’t have any hardware using that Ethernet port or kext anymore so unless he fixes it blind or somebody else steps up that kext could be dead in the water.
We shall see.

I wish I could investigate and fix that kext myself but I don’t have the smarts to do it or you could say I’m too thick to attempt something like that. 😂🤣

savage001

AMD OS X Member
No joy with the small tree kext no. My X570-E also has a Realtek 2.5gb Ethernet port using the LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext and that is fine so I’m just using that port for now.

Getting the small tree kext fixed might be a problem as khronokernel doesn’t have any hardware using that Ethernet port or kext anymore so unless he fixes it blind or somebody else steps up that kext could be dead in the water.
We shall see.

I wish I could investigate and fix that kext myself but I don’t have the smarts to do it or you could say I’m too thick to attempt something like that.

Lol yeah I’m in the same boat, have no clue where to start.
Have you tried without the kext?
Device properties with and without?

iGPU

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I've been working on a SmallTree modification; it seems close. Shown in the attached image is how the modified SmallTree kext binds to the proper site in the left side (IORE) and how the port is now recognized in HackCheck app (upper right), but the port is inactive in Network Utility app (lower right).

Meanwhile, the Aquantia port works with a new patch for Monterey. Also, I've gotten BT and Wifi to work on ß1, and so AirDrop works as well with ß1 as I reported on a TRX40 thread on the macOS86 forum.

But I've only been able to test the modified SmallTree on my TRX40 mobo under ß1 (as I'm too lowly and undeserving of patches for anything > ß1 :cry:).

Once I get patches for ß3, and if it works, I'll share the modified kext. The kext is currently being tested together with a custom SSDT file. (There's another avenue of approach to the problem, but I don't want to bother with it until I see if ß1 is the problem.)

Last edited:

Ploddles

AMD OS X Member
I've been working on a SmallTree modification; it seems close. Shown in the attached image is how the modified SmallTree kext binds to the proper site in the left side (IORE) and how the port is now recognized in HackCheck app (upper right), but the port is inactive in Network Utility app (lower right).

Meanwhile, the Aquantia port works with a new patch for Monterey. Also, I've gotten BT and Wifi to work on ß1, and so AirDrop works as well with ß1 as I reported on a TRX40 thread on the macOS86 forum.

But I've only been able to test the modified SmallTree on my TRX40 mobo under ß1 (as I'm too lowly and undeserving of patches for anything > ß1 :cry:).

Once I get patches for ß3, and if it works, I'll share the modified kext. The kext is currently being tested together with a custom SSDT file. (There's another avenue of approach to the problem, but I don't want to bother with it until I see if ß1 is the problem.)

The intel Wi-fi in my system has worked from the start but I couldn’t get the BT part to work, no matter what I tried.
It was only when I booted back into Big Sur that I realised it had stopped working there as well. Then it dawned on me that a few days ago I had booted into Windows. A quick shutdown and cold boot (turning off power to the system for 10 seconds) and low and behold BT was back up and working in BS and Monterey. When Windows boots it loads it’s own firmware into the BT module and the only way to clear it is with a cold boot.
Hopefully they will release the updated patches to us lowly people in the near future.
It does seem a bit ridiculous that they have them working but will only release them to the select few whilst they wait to see if the OC developers will incorporate a new quirk into the next release in August. But hey ho that is their decision and the rest of us will just have to do without for now. So much for supporting each other.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@Ploddles If the PR is accepted then we will most likely provide a build until 0.7.2 release. Until then you can update the patches in the repo as I updated one earlier. Remove any patch relating to cores. There's a few and make your own patch based on the OC PR. I'll give you a hint on the replace ;) A 6 core system replace for Monterey starts BA 06. Although use a USB with a clone of your EFI to test.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
@Ploddles If the PR is accepted then we will most likely provide a build until 0.7.2 release. Until then you can update the patches in the repo as I updated one earlier. Remove any patch relating to cores. There's a few and make your own patch based on the OC PR. I'll give you a hint on the replace ;) A 6 core system replace for Monterey starts BA 06. Although use a USB with a clone of your EFI to test.

The change you made 11 hours ago is that for beta 2/3 patches?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
The change you made 11 hours ago is that for beta 2/3 patches?

Ye that is required to update further along with newer core patches which are within OC if it's merged.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Here's the temp way to update to beta 2 / 3 until the PR is merged.

• Update to latest patches on GitHub. FORCE_PENRYN was updated.
  • Remove any patches relating to cores. There's a list at the bottom of this post.
  • Add in a core count patch based on my OC PR, also listed at the bottom of the post
  • Boot
Patches to remove:
Code:
Don't set cpuid_cores_per_package
Skip _cpuid_cores_per_package test
jmp to calculations and set cpuid_cores_per_package
cores and threads calculations
cores and logicals count < For 10.13

New patch:
Code:
Comment: Force cpuid_cores_per_package
Base: _cpuid_set_info
Find: C1E81A000000
Mask: FFFDFF000000
Replace: BA CoreCount 00000090
ReplaceMask: FFFFFFFFFFFF

CoreCount = Your CPU Physical cores in Hex.
  • 6 Core = 06
  • 8 Core = 08
  • 12 Core = 0C
  • 16 Core = 10
  • 32 Core = 20

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.