Plenty of restarts during boot

askunk

AMD OS X Member
Hello,

I was very kindly assisted by the magic @Shaneee some time ago. He gave me an EFI made by AudioGod that solved most of my problems.

The only annoying thing that happens to me is that every time I start my mac, it restarts generally around 3-4 times in random places during boot.
It finally boots with success but it takes several minutes, waiting for the many restarts.

I also tried to upgrade to OC 0.8.1 and macOS 12.4: I've upgraded all kexts, and validated with no errors the config file with OCAuxiliaryTools, but when I tried it on a USB drive, it got stuck during boot.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

macOS 12.3.1
Ryzen 5900x
Asus TUF Gamin Plus x570 (no wifi)
Asus RX 6600XT
Firecuda 2TB SSD
Fenvi T919

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Post a copy of your current EFI folder, the one that boots macOS. We can then have a look to see what if anything can be edited to make it work without the reboots.

You can then use the revised EFI as a base, when upgrading your OC bootloader to the latest release.

askunk

AMD OS X Member
Post a copy of your current EFI folder, the one that boots macOS. We can then have a look to see what if anything can be edited to make it work without the reboots.

You can then use the revised EFI as a base, when upgrading your OC bootloader to the latest release.
VERY much appreciated :) Thank you. Here it is. I just deleted the serial and mac ID numbers. All the rest is copied as is.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 3

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK, had a look. and would comment as follows:
  1. You are missing an SSDT-EC.aml for your system. This ACPI table is essential for running a hack.
  2. You have USB power settings in your USBPorts.kext and in an SSDT-USBX.aml, you don't need both. You can remove the SSDT-USBX.aml table.
  3. The contents of the Kexts, Drivers and Tools folders are fine.
config.plist:
  • A number of placeholder entries that can be removed to clean up the plist and make it easier to read and navigate.
  • Only 15 AMD Kernel patches, there are usually 17 patches.
  • You are using the agdpmod=ignore boot argument, agdpmod=pikera may work better with your RX6600 XT
  • If you are using a UK PC keyboard you need to change the prev-lang:kbd entry from en-GB:2 to en-GB:250.
  • The rest is fine.
USBPorts.kext:
This appears OK.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 17.28.23.png Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 17.28.39.png Screenshots showing the 2 x USB controllers in your system, as defined in the USBPorts.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I noticed that you only have one Type-C port defined, there are usually two ports (USB3 & USB2) defined on a Type-c connector.
Also as you only have one port set with the connector type 10 (Type-c+ Switch) how do you know it has a switch?

These are the two options when setting a Type-c port.
Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 17.45.00.png

It is as likely that the Type-C port on the rear I/O plate on your motherboard is a Type-c (9) connector. Assuming you tried the test where you flip the USB Type-C device 180° and reinsert it, to see if the port designation changes.

The most likely reason for you system not booting is the lack of an SSDT-EC.aml table. The other matters raised above are not so severe as to prevent your system booting.

When checked against the ocvalidate from OC 0.8.0 your config.plist passes with no errors.

I have attached a revised copy of your EFI containing most of the changes listed above.
  1. I have not deleted your USBPorts.kext, even though I think it is set incorrectly.
  2. I have swapped the SSDT-USBX.aml for SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml.
  3. I have replaced the AMD Kernel Patches in your config with the latest set containing 17 patches, with the first three set for your 12-core CPU (0C).
See if these changes help.

Just remember to add your Serial Number etc in to the revised config.plist before you use it.

When you first boot and arrive on the OC GUI boot screen, press the spacebar, and select the ResetNvram.efi tool so any obsolete NVRAM entries are removed and you start with a clean Nvram as set in the revised EFI.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7.7 MB · Views: 4

askunk

AMD OS X Member
OK, had a look. and would comment as follows:
  1. You are missing an SSDT-EC.aml for your system. This ACPI table is essential for running a hack.
  2. You have USB power settings in your USBPorts.kext and in an SSDT-USBX.aml, you don't need both. You can remove the SSDT-USBX.aml table.
  3. The contents of the Kexts, Drivers and Tools folders are fine.
config.plist:
  • A number of placeholder entries that can be removed to clean up the plist and make it easier to read and navigate.
  • Only 15 AMD Kernel patches, there are usually 17 patches.
  • You are using the agdpmod=ignore boot argument, agdpmod=pikera may work better with your RX6600 XT
  • If you are using a UK PC keyboard you need to change the prev-lang:kbd entry from en-GB:2 to en-GB:250.
  • The rest is fine.
USBPorts.kext:
This appears OK.

View attachment 6718 View attachment 6719 Screenshots showing the 2 x USB controllers in your system, as defined in the USBPorts.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I noticed that you only have one Type-C port defined, there are usually two ports (USB3 & USB2) defined on a Type-c connector.
Also as you only have one port set with the connector type 10 (Type-c+ Switch) how do you know it has a switch?

These are the two options when setting a Type-c port.
View attachment 6720

It is as likely that the Type-C port on the rear I/O plate on your motherboard is a Type-c (9) connector. Assuming you tried the test where you flip the USB Type-C device 180° and reinsert it, to see if the port designation changes.

The most likely reason for you system not booting is the lack of an SSDT-EC.aml table. The other matters raised above are not so severe as to prevent your system booting.

When checked against the ocvalidate from OC 0.8.0 your config.plist passes with no errors.

I have attached a revised copy of your EFI containing most of the changes listed above.
  1. I have not deleted your USBPorts.kext, even though I think it is set incorrectly.
  2. I have swapped the SSDT-USBX.aml for SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml.
  3. I have replaced the AMD Kernel Patches in your config with the latest set containing 17 patches, with the first three set for your 12-core CPU (0C).

Just remember to add your Serial Number etc in to the revised config.plist before you use it.

When you first boot and arrive on the OC GUI boot screen, press the spacebar, and select the ResetNvram.efi tool so any obsolete NVRAM entries are removed and you start with a clean Nvram as set in the revised EFI.
God, man... you are a saint. Thank you so much.

I had an EFI that was working fine till macOS 12.3 then I have been given this one here on the forum. Sorry for all the edits you had to make.
I will read it all and fix the remaining things you listed at the end. I have no words to thank you enough.

I will post here an update in a few days with the final results and let you know how it went. (I hope I can also upgrade to 12.5!)

Thanks again!

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
God, man... you are a saint. Thank you so much.

I had an EFI that was working fine till macOS 12.3 then I have been given this one here on the forum. Sorry for all the edits you had to make.
I will read it all and fix the remaining things you listed at the end. I have no words to thank you enough.

I will post here an update in a few days with the final results and let you know how it went. (I hope I can also upgrade to 12.5!)

Thanks again!
You will find that Shaneee, EdHawk & MiddleMan are superheroes on here lol.

askunk

AMD OS X Member
I have not deleted your USBPorts.kext, even though I think it is set incorrectly.
  1. I have swapped the SSDT-USBX.aml for SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml.
  2. I have replaced the AMD Kernel Patches in your config with the latest set containing 17 patches, with the first three set for your 12-core CPU (0C).

So far:

I have added my serial (and other unique IDs), removed the SSDT-USBX.aml, and did a snapshot to be sure.
I refreshed the NVRAM while booting from the USB drive, just in case.

It booted at once! :) Then I copied the EFI on my SSD and restarted, and it booted three times before finally succeeding.

Re the USB: I must have made some mistake. No switch on the port. I don't even use the USBC port. I have trouble sometimes connecting a USB 3.1 Fantek HDD box with 8 HDDs. I have to disconnect and reconnect the cable until it mounts the drives, it rarely accepts them the first time.

I'm just coping with it. Thank you anyway. I really appreciated the help. This forum has given me some hope on humanity, after all.

Last edited:

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I think you may have a pb with your apple account. and i have trouble with OC083 too. Try OC 082

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The OP is using OC 0.8.0, not 0.8.3. So changing to O.8.2 won't help.

Problems with the Apple ID and iCloud account would not result in system reboots.

The reboots are more likely to be caused by an issue with your Bios settings, Nvram settings or OC setup. Depending on when the reboots occur will give a better idea of what could be the cause.

Fixing/setting the bios to work with macOS is fairly simple.
  1. Boot in to your bios by pressing the Del or F2 key.
  2. Press 'F5' key to Load Optimised Defaults.
  3. Then check that you have the following options Disabled or Enabled as required.
    • Disable
      • Fast Boot
      • Secure Boot
      • Serial/COM Port
      • Parallel Port
      • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
      • CSM
      • Thunderbolt (For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
      • Intel SGX
      • Intel Platform Trust
      • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection) (This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel > Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)
    • Enable
      • VT-x
      • Above 4G decoding
      • Hyper-Threading
      • Execute Disable Bit
      • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
      • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
      • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
      • SATA Mode: AHC
You may need to look in each and every sub-menu for some of these settings, as bios developers have a habit of hiding the settings in obscure sub-menus. What may help is referring to the Bios Manual for your motherboard. A copy is attached below.

Resetting the Nvram is even easier.
  1. Boot to the OpenCore GUI or Picker List
  2. Press the 'Spacebar' to unhide any tools
  3. Select 'ResetNvram.efi' and the system should automatically reboot.
  4. When you next boot, the system will use the new Nvram settings from your OC setup.
Simple!

Attachments

• E15829_PRIME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 2

secondomega

AMD OS X Member
Did this get resolved? I’m having a similar problem. Is there any way of seeing the logs from boot? I tried console and there wasnt anything about it I could find.

t_riikonen

AMD OS X Member
I'm experiencing a similar reboot problem and it started after upgrading to Monterey 12.3. Sometimes macOS starts well with the first boot, but sometimes the PC reboots 3-5 times in a loop before macOS login screen appears. Nice to know that I'm not alone. Otherwise, the Hackintosh system has been rock solid and I've used it daily for two years now as my primary OS for work and leisure.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.