Bicycle Group

AMD OS X Member
After a rocky start with Photoshop on my ryzentosh (Catalina 10.15.5) I was able to boot the program after running some widely publicized commands in terminal. Although Photoshop would then load, when I chose - for example - >select>color range, I would get an immediate crash.

I found the following commands which solved that crash problem:

sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x6A\x00|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x3A\x00|sg' /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\
sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x6A\x00|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x3A\x00|sg' /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\
sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC/File Formats/Camera\ Raw.plugin ß

Yesterday I was offered an upgrade to PS under my paid subscription. Release 21.2.1. After I'd downloaded and installed the upgrade, I was back to square one - Photoshop would not load.
By running the previously referenced terminal commands, I was once again able to boot PS - however, when I ran the commands listed above, I got an error on the Raw.plugin command - and using >select>color range once again crashed the program.

I've since been implementing the following terminal command using a script:

MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=5 /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020

This corrects the crashing problem, and the program now seems to work normally - but it is not an elegant solution, and, besides, when I run the script it opens a terminal window, cluttering up my desktop.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue?
Thanks

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
This can be a permenant solution. Thanks to @XLNC for the instructions.

Code:
[ ! -d $HOME/Library/LaunchAgents ] && mkdir $HOME/Library/LaunchAgents
AGENT=$HOME/Library/LaunchAgents/environment.plist
sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string | grep FX >/dev/null 2>&1
x=$(echo $(($? != 0 ? 5 : 4)))
cat >$AGENT <<EOF
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>mkl-debug</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>sh</string>
<string>-c</string>
    <string>launchctl setenv MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE $x;</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>
EOF
launchctl load ${AGENT} >/dev/null 2>&1
launchctl start ${AGENT} >/dev/null 2>&1

Last edited:

Bicycle Group

AMD OS X Member
Thank you Shaneee
I'm not sure how to follow your instructions.
Is this code to be changed in the config.plist?
Or code to be loaded in terminal?

Bicycle Group

AMD OS X Member
Thank you Shaneee
I'm not sure how to follow your instructions.
Is this code to be changed in the config.plist?
Or code to be loaded in terminal?

Ok - none of that code is in the config.plist........so I assume I make the change in terminal.

So....... how do I change:
sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string | grep FX >/dev/null 2>&1
to:
sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string | grep Ryzen >/dev/null 2>&1
???
Do I simply enter the second option into Terminal?

Thank you

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Is this a permanent solution to all Adobe problems or just Photoshop? I too have a subscription for Creative Cloud (only use Photoshop for work at the moment) but would love to be able to just update Adobe apps when they become available. I now take an ain't broke don't fix approach. ;)

EDIT So I put the code above in an executable script (.sh) and substituted the line Shanee suggested. Ran it, rebooted and now stuff I couldn't get to work before (InDesign, Audition et cetera) works out of the box. (y) EDIT II Photoshop wouldn't start so I ran the code suggested under point 3 at this page and now everything is back to normal, including functioning Audition, InCopy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.