Periodic temperature spikes at idle

kkinger

AMD OS X Member
I have successfuly installed OSX Catalina on my Ryzen 7 2700x system and everything seems to be working fine out of the box. The only issue I am having is with these consistant temperture spikes that happen. I have a AIO water cooler hooked up to my CPU and consitantly the idle temperature is 39 C to 40 C both on linux and windows. On this mac installation I the temperature starts reaching low 40 degrees and all of a sudden one of my cores spike in usage while the others are at a lower state. This casuses both my temperature and power usage to go up. I have attached two screenshots demonstrating this issue. This is with no programs started up and on idle. I have attached my EFI folder excluding my config.plist. Maybe someone might have an idea. The hardware I am running are: CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x MOBO: Gigabyte B450M DS3H 16GB RAM @ 3000 Mhz and installed on a 250GB Kingston SSD.
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 5.57.00 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI 2.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 4

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
Sawtoothing is normal with modern AMD CPUs. You can set manual fan curves in BIOS to lessen this.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Disabling PBO when not needed also lessens the spikes. Do you have automatic speed adjustment and low power state enabled?

With custom fan curves and a custom (less sensitive) self built version of this kext my system is usually very quiet. The 3900X idling at around 32 C, having those Sawtooth patterns only on constant high loads.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
This is my Ryzen 7 3700X on idle. A fraction of the power consumption. Have you checked Console or Activity Monitor if there's a process running? Do you use Photos? I hear horror stories about the facial recognition daemon hogging the cpu whenever there's an idle moment.
Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 22.42.26.png

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.