Optical drives only detected at random

XgamesMFZB

AMD OS X Member
Hi all - Newbie (but not new to Hackintoshing) ! :)

My specs
Monterey 12.1 (Same problem on Big Sur & Catalina), OpenCore 0.7.6 (Same thing on 0.6.9)
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor
Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC
LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I have 2 optical drives (I collect music, so that I can rip 2 CDs at the same time) and I don't understand why the drives get detected only at random. The issue is the same wether on Monterey, Big Sur or Catalina. From day 1, WH16NS40 BD-Drive is detected, I reboot macOS then WH16NS40-BD is gone, "no drives" under the Eject button (and yet, there a disk inside the drive!). It's also not listed under SATA > Generic AHCI Controller in System Informations. Same issue occurs with the DVD drive, which is also detected at random. So far, both drives were detected at the same time only like 1 time out of 100-ish, usually only 1 drive at a time, commonly no drives at all until the next reboot into Windows 10.
Here is System Informations log (With BOTH drives detected) from Monterey:

I also have System Informations with only the BD drive detected from Big Sur (Previous install):

And IOREG output with only BD detected as well (Big Sur): https://www.dropbox.com/s/93jrva9kt...rcvL38Sj1psUXQUwJoQGjFCHqrBvxjpTnZyleGtWj9gmg

I have also tried CtlnaAHCIPort.kext and/or 3rdPartySATA.kext both in config.plist with ProperTree, but no difference. I'm very confused.

Any clue?
Appreciated,

kuzak

AMD OS X Member
My ryzentosh has the same problem, Optical drives (Sata Blu-Ray) only detected at random
can anyone solve this problem? Thx a lot!!!

XgamesMFZB

AMD OS X Member
Never figured it out, tried unplugging the SATA cables one at a time and had no luck separately. I seems like the BD drive WH16NS40 does appears a lot more rarely than the DVD drive however. Quick Google searches claim that WH16NS40 wouldn't work on Mojave - This has been the same issue on Catalina and Big Sur, but this drive is actually UHD-4K compatible, I downgraded the firmware with help (Because LG removed 4K support with the later firmware updates lol), it's possible I lost some macOS compatibility too? Not sure tbh.

I blame the drive, but no idea about the DVD compatibility either, DVD is a lot more likely to be detected however. Haven't tested other drives (non-USB) since.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have you made sure the SATA port the DVD/BD device connects to is set to AHCI in the bios?

Is the SATA controller detected correctly in macOS - look at the System Information > Disk Burning report to see if the device is enabled.
Screenshot 2022-02-27 at 14.43.21.png

You should also see it in the SATA report.
Screenshot 2022-02-27 at 14.43.46.png

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.