Oh how wonderful the silence

wild_eep

AMD OS X Member
I know this is a Hackintosh forum, but I can't help but voice my thoughts on the new M1 Macs. My new M1 Macbook Air arrived just two days ago, but I didn't think it would arrive before Christmas.

I ordered the MBA on December 5 with the delivery window of Dec 15-22. I eagerly checked the order status every day like a child counting down the days until Christmas. But as the days got closer to the end of the delivery window, I got more and more discouraged. I'd given up all hope of receiving the new Mac by Christmas. Then on the afternoon on Dec 21, I got a text message saying my order was being prepared for shipment. I sighed and thought, "well, its still coming over from China, so maybe I'll get it after Christmas". A couple hours later, another message said my mac has been shipped and will arrive Dec 22, but the message had no tracking number, so I didn't think it would arrive as promised. I went to sleep that night disappointed....Santa wasn't coming!

In the morning, I checked my phone, a message with tracking info was waiting for me. The tracking info was a courier company called DL Overnite. The tracking info only had "label created", so I dubious that it would still arrive on time. Usually, my Apple orders arrived by Fedex and I wasn't confident in this other company. About two hours later, the child in me returned when I received another text message saying my new Mac was out for delivery. Every time I heard a vehicle on my street, I ran to the window, hoping Santa had arrived! Mid-afternoon, it arrived...I was so happy. The delivery driver even had a Santa hat!

I purchased the base model M1 Macbook Air, with 8GB ram and 256GB SSD at a price of $899 USD plus tax. Normally, its $999, but I received the military veteran discount. To additionally offset the cost, I recently sold my old 2012 Macbook Pro 13" that was just sitting in my closet...I was surprised that it sold for $300 on Ebay. Even after Ebay and paypal fees, I still had over $250 left from that sale.

Impressions:
WOW...I am mightily impressed with the new M1 processors. This thing is just a dream to use. It runs cool and silent. As far as performance, it just blows away my Ryzen 5 3600 Hackintosh. I won't bore anyone with benchmark numbers because others have posted those everywhere on the internet, but my numbers align with those.

While my Hackintosh is fairly silent, I can still hear the fan noises from it, which I will always find annoying, not matter how faint they are. Even at idle, my Hackintosh is like a little heater...not good for Southern California summers. I've stressed out the Mac with Handbrake and it barely got warm....what lovely silence. My Hackintosh fans would be spinning up loudly. There is some heat generated by the USB-C dongle I use to connect to an external monitor, ethernet, and external SSDs, but nowhere near the amount of heat generated by my Hackintosh.

I will still continue to Hackintosh because I love to tinker with computers, but there is no way that my Ryzen or Intel machines will be my daily drivers until they develop new processors that can compete with the performance of Apple Silicon.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I came from over 15 years Mac use, but my 2011 Mac mini server was really showing its age. I'd extended its life with an ssd but it was nearing the end - no latest macOS, every week one or two kernel panics. I have friends with Windows machines and saw them play games so ordered stuff to replace my beloved mini. Installed Windows but had a separate ssd for just-in-case and had picked parts that could be Hackintoshed, if I could get it to work.

The mini was simply not worth the investment, having been neutered and not upgraded for ages. If the M1 had existed earlier this year, I would probably have gotten a mini. But, after some trial and error, I got to work on my new hardware.

Catalina detected my mini on the network, asked me to set it up and boom. About 2 hours later I was completely up and running. It's my main work machine and has been rock solid since I built it. I love how I can keep using macOS, switch to Windows for some gaming. Best of both worlds.

That said, if somewhere down the line Hackintosh hits the end of the line all Intel Macs will also hit... I will probably switch back to a regular Mac. I'm so grateful however to have had this opportunity to keep myself in the macOS ecosystem.

Best wishes to all!

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.