No keyboard support during install.

ediblehandshake2

AMD OS X Member
Hello!
I posted about this before on the old forum butsadly never found a solution.
I left it for a couple of months, but now during lockdown I find myself with time on my hands to try again.

The issues:

1. No boot Picker
After updating to OpenCore 5.7, I can no longer see the Boot Picker. I have a black screen, I wait and then the verbose text kicks in and I reach the language screen.
Is this normal?

2. No keyboard support during install.
Mouse works fine and have moved it across USB ports.
Apple wired keyboard works in 0 USB ports.

APCI:
SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml

Drivers:
ApfsDriverLoader
HfsPlus
OpenRuntime

Kexts:
Apple ALC
Lilu
SmallTreeIntel82576
VituralSMC
whatverGreen
XLNCUSBFix

I have tried another keyboard and a ps/2 keyboard with no luck.
Gut tells me its not a usb issue?

I remember reading on another forum something about FileVault stopping keyboard support.
FileVault is currently set to Optional.

As always thanks in advance for your help.

System:
Ryzen 9 3900x
ASRock X570M Pro4
Nvida GTX 970
32GB DDR4
Windows 10

Last edited:

drake90001

AMD OS X Member
Have you tried the USBBusFix=Yes flag as a boot arg? Or adding XLNCUSBFix.kext

ediblehandshake2

AMD OS X Member

the bootfltag made no affect
and XLNCUSBFix.kext is already in my kexts folder.

thanks

drake90001

AMD OS X Member
the bootfltag made no affect
and XLNCUSBFix.kext is already in my kexts folder.

thanks

UEFI Drivers in config? I only load HfsPlus.efi, ApfsDriverloader.efi, OpenRuntime.efi, and OpenUsbKbDxe.efi

ediblehandshake2

AMD OS X Member
UEFI Drivers in config? I only load HfsPlus.efi, ApfsDriverloader.efi, OpenRuntime.efi, and OpenUsbKbDxe.efi

my config drivers and Kexts are listed in in my original post. I haven’t had any luck with or without OpenUsbKbDxe.efi.

drake90001

AMD OS X Member
my config drivers and Kexts are listed in in my original post. I haven’t had any luck with or without OpenUsbKbDxe.efi.

So sorry, just trying to help others. You did add the CPU fixes, correct? What does the config sanity checker say?

ediblehandshake2

AMD OS X Member
So sorry, just trying to help others. You did add the CPU fixes, correct? What does the config sanity checker say?

no worries.

The last sanity checker came back with no glaring issues. But can post the exact details here when I do it again.

I followed the guide on how to update the patches and make sure I update the configure snapshot every time I update the Kexts list etc.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

USBBusFix won't do a thing as it's not included in anything anymore. XLNCUSBFix is not needed on Ryzen.

If USB isn't working in the installer move to another USB port. One of them will work.

drake90001

AMD OS X Member
USBBusFix won't do a thing as it's not included in anything anymore. XLNCUSBFix is not needed on Ryzen.

If USB isn't working in the installer move to another USB port. One of them will work.

The more you know. Sorry, I'm outdated.

ediblehandshake2

AMD OS X Member

Thanks for the update

My mouse works in all USB ports (front panel and back)
On last try, my keyboard works in none of the ports, including wherever i've plugged the mouse.

Am I missing something here?
For example, should I be unplugging and replugging the keyboard during the kernel?

Update:

So I Just tried by plugging my usb keyboard into every availble port (minus the one with the boot stick) with no luck.
I also tried my Ps/2 keyboard again. The keyboard light lights up but no key works.

Last edited:

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
For issue 1. opencore switched to opencanopy, so you have to make sure you have that driver, or make sure that "PickerMode" in Misc is set to no.

I am also having issues with my Asrock x570 Creator and USB specifically with High Sierra install. When I get to the install screen I can't move my mouse or keyboard no matter which USB port they are on. However, when loading the Catalina installer, it installs just fine. Have you tried Catalina yet?

Would love to try your efi folder to see if maybe I get better USB results.

Update: Ah, just seeing you have an Nvidia card. That would pretty much absolve you from being able to try the Catalina install.

Last edited:

ediblehandshake2

AMD OS X Member
Update: Ah, just seeing you have an Nvidia card. That would pretty much absolve you from being able to try the Catalina install.

Yeah thats why I was going for High Sierra.

I'll look into the pickermode today thanks

UPDATE:

After searching many a forum post, I came across someone suggesting that their Apple wired keyboard was being seen as a a usb hub rather than a keyboard.
To try this out, I borrowed a friends keyboard which has no usb hub built in and SUCCESS!

Now my Apple keyboard still doesn't work, its seen as an Apple brand USB keyboard hub but wont accept input. Googling this however finds that other people upgrading to High Sierra also had this problem and resulted to using some weird workarounds. i'll keep trying but nothing has worked thus far. Might have to buy myself a new keyboard.

Last edited:

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
I borrowed a friends keyboard which has no usb hub built in and SUCCESS!

As I said in my thread, this is great news and needs to be pinned at the top of the High Sierra forum if I and others can confirm.

Did you get High Sierra up with Nvidia? I've never been able to complete an install or update without having an ATI card available to get it up and running to install the Nvidia drivers. I ran a 2012 Mac Pro for years with 2 1080ti's in it (using an external power supply). But every update required pulling out one of the cards and slipping in the old ATI card to install the drivers. Then I could replace it no problem. I miss that old machine. It was rock solid.

ediblehandshake2

AMD OS X Member
Did you get High Sierra up with Nvidia?

Yes, Nvidia GTX 970 started working after updating High Seirra to the newest secuirty update (at the time it was 2020-003) and then installing the correct webdrivers (in that order).
I am still experiencing some lag/hanging which i'm trying to get to the bottom of. I think it might be a Power management issue but not sure yet.

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
This worked! Can't believe the amount of time and money I wasted trying to get High Sierra to install when all I needed to do was swap out the keyboard.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.