No DisplayPort output, no audio and kernel panic after upgrading from 11.6.1 to 12.0.1

Hanlin

AMD OS X Member
Problem description:
The system behavior has changed drastically after upgrading from 11.6.1 to 12.0.1, with system audio and DisplayPort no longer working, followed by kernel panic after couple minute after boot/login. It is also worth noting that macOS also kernel panic when I shut the computer down manually through the menu bar.

Everything was working perfectly prior to the upgrade, and I could not find any problems with the files in my EFI folder. It is worth noting that HDMI-output still works, but the screen flickers randomly when using HDMI (this happened in 11.6.1 as well, I have never tried to solve the issue since DisplayPort worked perfectly prior to the update).

Current Opencore version: 0.75

What I have checked/done:
  • Applied latest AMD patches
  • Changed the core count patch according to the instructions (5600X, 6 core)
  • Set ProvideCurrentCpuInfo = True
System spec:
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
GPU: XFX Radeon 5600XT
RAM: 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz
Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD (for macOS)
Motherboard: ROG strix B550i

Help and advice are welcomed! This is my first post, please go easy on me...

Attachments

• config.plist
    37.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Crash dump.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Not sure if an incorrect argument would lead to issues (I would imagine it just gets ignored) but remove the pci=0x200 from the boot arguments. Leave the npci one. And is FakePCIID.kext really necessary? It's the first time I've come across it. :unsure:

Hanlin

AMD OS X Member
Not sure if an incorrect argument would lead to issues (I would imagine it just gets ignored) but remove the pci=0x200 from the boot arguments. Leave the npci one. And is FakePCIID.kext really necessary? It's the first time I've come across it.
Alright, I’ve removed the line “pci=0x200” from the boot arguments without any improvements. The computer still kernel panic when booted into macOS after couple of minutes.

As for the FakePCIID.kext, it is required in order for my Bluetooth to work (I swapped out the stock Intel A200 network card for a Broadcom one to gain the Airdrop feature). I gave it a try to disable the kext, but resulted in a very slow boot time and a non-functioning Bluetooth after boot. It is also worth noting that macOS also kernel panic when I shut it down manually.

Any other idea? 🤷🏼‍♀️

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
No, don't have any other suggestions. It's curious, your hardware specs aren't outlandish or anything...

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Unsure if it'll make a difference but your setting two different layout IDs in your config for audio. Once in Device Properties set to 3 and again in your boot args as alcid=1. My ROG X570-F has the same Audio as yours and the X570-E, Try removing one of these methods and stick to one. Also try layout 15 as the above boards use this.

Hanlin

AMD OS X Member
Unsure if it'll make a difference but your setting two different layout IDs in your config for audio. Once in Device Properties set to 3 and again in your boot args as alcid=1. My ROG X570-F has the same Audio as yours and the X570-E, Try removing one of these methods and stick to one. Also try layout 15 as the above boards use this.
I've tried:
  1. Removing PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x8,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x4) from DeviceProperpties, kept alcid=1 in boot-arguments
  2. Changing the layout-id for PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x8,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x4) from 3 to 15, removing alcid=1 from boot-arguments
None of above solved any of the issue listed in the beginning. But as @RyzeCooker noted above, if I disable the FakePCIID.kext, macOS does not kernel panic anymore. However, I instead encounter a very long boot time (slow Apple logo loading bar) and very long shutdown time together with Bluetooth and Ethernet no longer working.

I have also found a thread from early June where couple of guys had very similar issue as me (https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1672). It seems that FakePCIID.kext is the source of the kernel panic. But I am not sure if the loss of audio and DisplayPort output is related to this? I or my computer is on the verge of crying at this moment 😤

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Most Broadcom cards work OOB, I've not seen one that requires FakePCIID before. Which card did you get?

Hanlin

AMD OS X Member
Most Broadcom cards work OOB, I've not seen one that requires FakePCIID before. Which card did you get?
An update regarding Bluetooth, it works after putting macOS into sleep and then waking it up again with FakePCIID disabled. The card I have is BCM94352z if I remember correctly.

At this point I really don't know what else to check. I've noticed that your system is pretty similar to mine, would it help if I could compare mine with yours? Unless you've checked mine and didn't spot anything off. Kernel panic is just one of few problems, I still haven't got audio and DisplayPort to work, everything worked flawlessly on 11.6.1.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.