New Member - Looking for Advice.

CloudedVisions

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys, I didn't actually know an AMD Hackintosh community existed until very recently. I have built two Hackintoshes prior, but Intel based using the tools etc from the TonyMac community.

I was considering making my third Intel, until I stumbled upon here. Intel being pretty much limited to Z390, I really would love to build an AMD instead, and take advantage of the significant power boost.

Just wanted to ask a few questions about the build, as I said I have managed three builds in the past, two of which wasn't using 'reccommended' or natively supported hardware so did come with a bit of extra work, but I'm by no means an expert, so how difficult is a AMD Hackintosh to build relative to an Intel based one? Is it on par, more difficult? Are there any main differences that somebody with only a basic understanding of code etc would really struggle with?

Having a quick look around I recognised a lot of similar aspects, other supported hardware, same kexts etc. I just don't want to fork out the money on a new rig and not be able to get it up and running the way I want it.

Also, are there any short comings over Intel based setups? Generally native bluetooth, wifi and sound can be a problem, I assume it's the same with AMD as it's chipset related, are there any other big hurdles?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
First of all Welcome to AMD OS X :D

These days it's getting close to an Intel setup. With OpenCore we patch the kernel on the fly now so no need to worry about updating the kernel file anymore. Hardware support is kind of generic as far as a hackintosh goes.
The main issues on AMD are as follows,
  • Some apps either require patches to run or just plain don't work due to using Intel Specific instructions.
    • Adobe ( Needs Patches)
    • Parallels, VMWare - Won't run. VBox does
    • Some Logic Pro plugins don't work.
  • GPU performance takes a hit on AMD. We aren't too sure why.
  • Thunderbolt on some X570 boards works but it can be buggy.
  • Sleep either works or it doesn't.
Hope that helps you out a bit.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.