New B550 motherboards! (ALL with Thunderbolt!)

agent2

Donator
Donator
Hey there,

I just saw the announcement of the new B550 motherboards where the AIBs showed off their flagships which were decked with awesome features.
What I also noticed is that the Gigabyte and ASRock models are sporting TB3 headers! This is really exciting as there are now budget-friendly options for Hackintoshers who need to throw a Titan-Ridge AIC and have nearly seamless TB-enabled Ryzentosh!
Hopefully the AIBs don’t drop those cool add-ons before the real launch just like Gigabyte did with Rev. 1.0 X570 boards.
Feel free to discuss here! :)

agent2

Donator
Donator
UPDATE:
ALL big four (that's additionally ASUS and MSI) AIBs B550 motherboards have TB3 support!
I don't know why but ASRock has left out their headers in the press release pictures of the boards, you can only see the solder points. I hope that doesn't mean that it's permanent as the picture of the B550 Taichi at the announcement of B550 clearly had it there. But it worries me.
That makes it even better for budget-friendly Ryzentoshes.
I initially hadn't noticed the header on the ASUS board because it looked very different to the normal 5-pin. But over it it clearly says "TB-Header."
I hope you guys are as excited as I am that we now have truly great and now functional options for TB3 on the cheap!
AORUS-B550-MASTER-1000x1195 copy.jpgASROCK-B550-Taichi-1000x1162 copy.jpgASUS-ROG-STRIXB550-1000x1241 copy.jpgMSI-B550-Carbon-1000x1256 copy.jpg

agent2

Donator
Donator
UPDATE 2: The ASRock boards all have the Thunderbolt header removed now, it seems like they're getting a beating from Intel! 😞
What motherboards would you guys choose for Ryzentosh Thunderbolt compatibility? Is it also relatively easy on ASUS and MSI too?

agent2

Donator
Donator
UPDATE 3: OK, this seems pretty sad, but it seems like ALL B550 boards bar ASUS have no Thunderbolt support. Big bummer.
The header is still visible on the Gigabyte boards, but there's no mention of it whatsoever in the manuals or in the tech specs. It would be a miracle if it still shows up on the retail versions.
The header by MSI seems like it wasn't intended for TB3 at all, probably for some RGB nonsense and of course ASRock **** their pants and left the solder points on. The only hope here is to put a TB3 AIC in these boards, short the pins again and pray that the BIOS has some sort of Thunderbolt section in it.
So yeah we are back at the point where there is only one AIB who has proper and official Thunderbolt support on an AMD chipset. At least ASUS isn't the horrible mess that ASRock is with their TB3 implementation, based upon the opinions of users on this forum and other Hackintosh-related ones.
The one thing we can pray for in the future is that if B550 is the last budget-chipset on AM4, maybe we will see some updated versions from the others (e. g. Gigabyte X570 Rev. 1.1; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk - inclusion of a TB3 header) where we will se it return.

One or two question for you guys that I'm generally interested to hear your opinions about:

Would you consider one of the ASUS B550 boards for your Thunderbolt Ryzentosh needs and purposes?
Are you disappointed but not too concerned about the AIB's decisions on this?

solar

AMD OS X Member
UPDATE 3: OK, this seems pretty sad, but it seems like ALL B550 boards bar ASUS have no Thunderbolt support. Big bummer.
The header is still visible on the Gigabyte boards, but there's no mention of it whatsoever in the manuals or in the tech specs. It would be a miracle if it still shows up on the retail versions.
The header by MSI seems like it wasn't intended for TB3 at all, probably for some RGB nonsense and of course ASRock **** their pants and left the solder points on. The only hope here is to put a TB3 AIC in these boards, short the pins again and pray that the BIOS has some sort of Thunderbolt section in it.
So yeah we are back at the point where there is only one AIB who has proper and official Thunderbolt support on an AMD chipset. At least ASUS isn't the horrible mess that ASRock is with their TB3 implementation, based upon the opinions of users on this forum and other Hackintosh-related ones.
The one thing we can pray for in the future is that if B550 is the last budget-chipset on AM4, maybe we will see some updated versions from the others (e. g. Gigabyte X570 Rev. 1.1; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk - inclusion of a TB3 header) where we will se it return.

One or two question for you guys that I'm generally interested to hear your opinions about:

Would you consider one of the ASUS B550 boards for your Thunderbolt Ryzentosh needs and purposes?
Are you disappointed but not too concerned about the AIB's decisions on this?

Are there any new updates regarding this? I have the Gigabyte Aorus B550 Master. It definitely has the same "THB_C" Thunderbolt™ add-in card connector that is on the X570 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.1/1.2). If it is not going to be functional, it does not make much sense, as the Gigabyte B550 Vision D costs less, but definitely does support thunderbolt.

agent2

Donator
Donator
Are there any new updates regarding this? I have the Gigabyte Aorus B550 Master. It definitely has the same "THB_C" Thunderbolt™ add-in card connector that is on the X570 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.1/1.2). If it is not going to be functional, it does not make much sense, as the Gigabyte B550 Vision D costs less, but definitely does support thunderbolt.

Yeah the feature page details the header and it is sold in retail boards s as you mention but what I also want to make people aware of is the amount of secrecy that Intel is pushing AIBs to with Thunderbolt on AMD. This is just childlike and it’s a joke that Intel is holding them by the balls. This causes decisions like the GB X570/ASRock B550 boards to drop the TB3 header on the fly.
So I always welcome when a decision is made in favour of the consumer.

Last edited:

Urumiko

AMD OS X Member
Hi guys. Just signed up to reply.
I don't know if it suits your use but Asus Have a certified add in card

ThunderboltEX 3-TR

supported on some B550 boards with headers:

B550 Chipset
ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
PRIME B550-PLUS
TUF GAMING B550-PLUS

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
Hi guys. Just signed up to reply.
I don't know if it suits your use but Asus Have a certified add in card

ThunderboltEX 3-TR

supported on some B550 boards with headers:

B550 Chipset
ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
PRIME B550-PLUS
TUF GAMING B550-PLUS

Yes but B550 are not supported so it's not interesting at the moment

centraljava

AMD OS X Member
there's been few update now

there's at least 1 certified B550 board with TB3
GB B550 Vision D

Gigamaxx

Donator
Donator
there's been few update now

there's at least 1 certified B550 board with TB3
GB B550 Vision D
I have a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC and it has a TB header. The bios lists it and allows for setting memory allocation for it. I am planning on picking up a PCIe Thunderbolt card to test soon.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.