Need help with planning a ryzentosh build

Nat_Nareik

AMD OS X Member
Hi all,

Planning a build some time at the end of the year when the RX6000 comes out and just thought I’d ask for advice here.

So the build:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X or Ryzen 5 3600 (depending if 5600X is worth the upgrade over 3600)
  • GPU: AMD RX6000 (or the lower end card in their lineup)
  • MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B550-I / X570-I (still not sure which would be better)
  • Storage: 2x WD 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD
  • RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB
  • PSU: SeaSonic Focus Gold 650W

So while I know hackintosh support might not be out the moment these components come out I’d like to be able to dualboot Hackintosh once it is supported so I’ll just like to ask on any feedback you may have.

Also I have some questions on the connections on the board specifically the WIFI/Ethernet/Bluetooth.
  • Do I need to get any additional components for the Ethernet and Bluetooth to work?
  • For the WIFI I am planning to get an Apple Airport Card, is it needed or not? (planning to have the ‘supported’ features such as Airdrop)
  • Also seeing as all the M.2 and PCI-E slots are being used I was wondering if it is possible to get a SATA to PCI-E adapter to connect the Airport Card to the Board
  • Is it possible to have both the on-board B550 wifi running at the same time with the Airport Card?
Thanks all, appreciate any feedback/answers you may have on this :)

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
CPU: Zen 3 is about 20% faster, especially in single threaded performance so probably worth it
GPU: RX 6000 Higher end cards will launch this year, mid and lower end cards most likely only starting next year
Mobo: For ITX you don't miss out on much going with B550 as you cannot really use the additional PCIe Gen 4 lanes of the chipset due lack of additional slots. Most B550 boards are a bit more modern, featuring 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet etc.

Regarding Bluetooth/Wifi, if you want AirDrop why don't you just switch out the integrated module? Those are usually M.2 A+E key, a little tricky to do due to their size but not that hard.

Last edited:

Nat_Nareik

AMD OS X Member
CPU: Zen 3 is about 20% faster, especially in single threaded performance so probably worth it
GPU: RX 6000 Higher end cards will launch this year, mid and lower end cards most likely only starting next year
Mobo: For ITX you don't miss out on much going with B550 as you cannot really use the additional PCIe Gen 4 lanes of the chipset due lack of additional slots. Most B550 boards are a bit more modern, featuring 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet etc.

Regarding Bluetooth/Wifi, if you want AirDrop why don't you just switch out the integrated module? Those are usually M.2 A+E key, a little tricky to do due to their size but not that hard.

Thanks for the feedback!

Was expecting the GPUs for AMD to be announced in a lineup in the same launch like Nvidia’s, but after reading your comment I guess not?

Also about the WIFI/Bluetooth, I read somewhere that the motherboard had to be ‘unlocked’ or something in order to switch out the module? Or is it doable on the B550?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I don't know what 'unlock' should be needed. I just had to disassemble the I/O shield and cooling blocks to get to the M.2 slot with the module to replace it.

Nat_Nareik

AMD OS X Member
I don't know what 'unlock' should be needed. I just had to disassemble the I/O shield and cooling blocks to get to the M.2 slot with the module to replace it.

Hmm I must have been mistaken then, any recommendation on which module to use/where to get it from?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Nat_Nareik

AMD OS X Member
Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I connected them just the same as the Intel AX200 was connected.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.