Need help with Dual Boot..

RiddlerA

AMD OS X Member
I am a junior doctor by profession. I am very much interested in technology and stuff and I learnt to build Hackintosh through online tutorials and forums. I have built my first Ryzentosh last May. My Ryzentosh specs are as follows:
  • AMD Ryzen 3500
  • Gigabyte Aorus Elite B450 MB
  • Gigabyte RX 590
  • Fenvi T919 WIFI Bluetooth Card
  • 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz DDR4 Ram
  • Kingston 250GB A2000 M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD
  • Logitech K480 Bluetooth Keyboard
  • Apple Magic Mouse 2
Right now, I have been quarantined for 14 days. So, I thought of upgrading my Ryzentosh storage to 500GB of WD Blue SN550 NVMe drive and to install Windows 10 on my existing Kingston 250GB A2000 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD.
I need help to know about the following possibilities:
  • Is there an option to clone my existing NVMe drive (250 GB) to New NVMe Drive (500 GB) and use the latter as Ryzentosh drive? If it could be done, I can erase my former drive and install Windows in it and shall use as dual boot Machine. Or should I install Ryzentosh in the new NVMe drive from the scratch and transfer all my data from former to latter?
  • If cloning method is not possible and if I need to install it from scratch, Could I make a Time Machine Backup of my existing Ryzentosh account and later restore it with new Ryzentosh account?
  • Suppose I made a dual boot machine with two NVMe drives; will one drive appears as an external drive in other? I.e. Will the windows drive turn up when I use macOS or vice versa? If at all it turns up like that, will it become a problem in a later stage? (Like accidental deletion/modification of files in the drive)
  • Do I need to setup Bootstrap.efi for safe dual booting?
So my objective is to transfer the current Hackintosh macOS to a new NVMe SSD and convert the old NVMe SSD to Windows. Could someone suggest me the easiest way to do so?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Hello. Your best option in my opinion would be to install fresh onto the new drive. During the setup wizard you'll be given the opportunity to copy everything from an existing install via the Migration Assistant.

macos-high-sierra-migration-assistant.jpg

Once your new drive has your files copied and you've setup the EFI on the new drive. You can copy and paste your current on in ;) Feel free to format that drive and install Windows.

RiddlerA

AMD OS X Member
So I am thinking of backing up my existing data with the time machine, install a fresh copy of macOS into the new drive and then using migration assistant, transfer my data from time machine backup.
Then I am going to wipe erase the old drive and install Windows 10 in it.
Will my windows drive turn up in macOS as an external drive or vice versa in a dual boot machine?
I went through few online tutorials and I came to know that "Abouve 4G Memory" should be on for macOS and it should be off for Windows. So many users with dual boot have to go and change these settings everytime they swap their OSs. Somebody suggested that, using "npci=0x2000" in boot-args will allow to keep "Above 4G Memory" off on both OSs.
And Thankyou Shanee for your prompt reply. :)

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
I boot both windows 10 and macOS with above 4g decoding enabled.

RiddlerA

AMD OS X Member
Today I managed to install macOS Catalina on my NVMe Drive (Kingston). Everything went smooth. Catalina is working fine without any hiccups. Then I installed my second NVMe drive WD Blue SN 550. It turned up inside my macOS. I was about to install windows in the second NVMe (WD Blue SN550), but when booting up from the Windows 10 installation USB drive, I could not locate/find the second NVMe drive (WD Blue SN550) which I already installed. How hard I try, I could not find it while trying to install Windows 10. But when I boot up macOS Catalina, I could initialise it and even formatted it to NTFS with an app called "NTFS Mac/Paragon". What should I do?
Tried turning "Above 4G Memory: on and off. Still not able to install Windows 10.
Both NVMe Drives are showing in Bios NVMe Configuration.

Last edited:

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
-- edit --
Somebody suggested that, using "npci=0x2000" in boot-args will allow to keep "Above 4G Memory" off on both OSs.
-- edit --

This is the way I setup my dual boot system (though I use a SATA SSD for my Mac OS drive and an NVMe for my Windows system). For "seeing" the Windows NTFS drive in the Mac OS, I use a commercial software called "NTFS for Mac" from Paragon Software, but I actually hide my Windows boot drive and only show a common 1 TB NTFS data drive that is my common shared files for both OS. I hide the Windows boot partition do I don't accidentally damage that setup.

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but there is a free tool called MiniTool Partition Wizard that is super handy for copying Windows partitions or whole drives, particularly if the drives are different sizes. Use with caution on drives you don't have backups on, but it can be very handy..

Good luck!

pm

PS. You may have read it before, but it is a good idea to temporarily pull your Mac drive when you are installing Windows, and your windows drive when you are installing Mac OS, to avoid accidents and over eager Windows bootloader installers.. ;)

RiddlerA

AMD OS X Member
PS. You may have read it before, but it is a good idea to temporarily pull your Mac drive when you are installing Windows, and your windows drive when you are installing Mac OS, to avoid accidents and over eager Windows bootloader installers.. ;)

You are right my friend. I pulled my Mac Drive while installing windows and it worked like a charm. No issues with EFI partition. Now I have windows EFI on one drive and Mac OS EFI on the other. Both OS work great. Added ”npci=0x2000” to keep ”above 4G Memory” disabled for both Mac OS and Windows 10. Booting perfect without a need to toggle”above 4G Memory” on and off each time when I swap OS. Only inconvenience is that I need to select OS from boot options (which is difficult using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse). Have figured a way to add full Windows 10 (not bootcamp) to opencore bootloader menu. Need to try it out. Thank you for your suggestion.

RiddlerA

AMD OS X Member
Only problem now I am having is that while booting, some warnings are displayed at boot screen.
D9C0C648-A9A8-4B50-9559-870FC5300815.jpeg

But I am able to boot with no issues. Is there any way to hide these warnings during boot so that boot screen looks clean ? Is there some settings I should change ?

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@RiddlerA if I had to guess, I would say that is a setting on your motherboard/bios. It kinda looks like UEFI verbose log items. I don't have this motherboard, so I can't say for certain, but that doesn't look like OC boot logs.

As an aside, I used to have my system set to not show the verbose logs (look more Mac-like), but I switched it back on to remind me what I am doing. It is also very helpful when things go offside and I don't have to worry about rejigging my config to see the messages again. The startup time penalty is worth it for me.

pm

owlly61

AMD OS X Member

RiddlerA

AMD OS X Member

RiddlerA

AMD OS X Member
@RiddlerA if I had to guess, I would say that is a setting on your motherboard/bios. It kinda looks like UEFI verbose log items. I don't have this motherboard, so I can't say for certain, but that doesn't look like OC boot logs.

As an aside, I used to have my system set to not show the verbose logs (look more Mac-like), but I switched it back on to remind me what I am doing. It is also very helpful when things go offside and I don't have to worry about rejigging my config to see the messages again. The startup time penalty is worth it for me.

pm
I was using the "debug version" of Opencore. I replaced it with "Release Version." It solved the problem.
what I do usually is, when I upgrade to a new Opencore version, I enable the verbose mode initially to know what is going wrong. But if it is going smoothly without any hiccups for 1 week or so, I disable Verbose mode. But I keep a copy of my EFI with Verbose Mode enabled in a pen drive so that if something goes wrong, I could easily boot from my Pendrive and see verbose mode and know what's going wrong.

owlly61

AMD OS X Member
I was using the "debug version" of Opencore. I replaced it with "Release Version." It solved the problem.
what I do usually is, when I upgrade to a new Opencore version, I enable the verbose mode initially to know what is going wrong. But if it is going smoothly without any hiccups for 1 week or so, I disable Verbose mode. But I keep a copy of my EFI with Verbose Mode enabled in a pen drive so that if something goes wrong, I could easily boot from my Pendrive and see verbose mode and know what's going wrong.
You and I have the same idea lol. Literally the same idea brother hahaha. I've been doing that way since I started hackintoshing. Shakeee lol

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.