Need Help: Crashing

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
I recently made my second opencore macOS build, this time on Monterey. After some fiddling for a day or two, I got it to boot on my hardware and successfully installed it. It was stable for a day or so but now I'm having issues where after I boot up into macOS, it works fine for a few minutes and then my video output suddenly cuts out, my monitors go to sleep, my PC fans ramp up to maximum and the computer becomes unresponsive to any inputs. I then have to hard reboot my computer and boot back up into macOS but then in a few minutes the same thing happens again. Sometimes, like when I'm wathcing a video or somehting when it happens, the audio has carried on even though my video output cuts out, the fans ramp up and my inputs cease working.

I've tried reinstalling again, clearing my nvram, nothing fixed the issue.

Anybody have any ideas?

Much appreciated.

My hardware:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P
Radeon Rx 590
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
64GB Corsair Vengeane RGB Pro 3200 C18 (4 sticks of 16GB)

P.S.

Apologies if this is in the wrong board. I technically got past the install but wasn't sure if this is really a "post-install" problem or if it's something wrong with my installation. Admins, if the thread needs to be moved, that's fine. Thank you!

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Try npci=0x2000 agdpmod=ignore - that's the setting used for Polaris cards. Also make sure the device-id setting is added into the device properties.

Here is the setting for my unsupported RX550 on the B550 motherboard. You'll need to change the device-id to DF6F0000 for RX580:

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 9.34.23 AM.png

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Try npci=0x2000 agdpmod=ignore - that's the setting used for Polaris cards. Also make sure the device-id setting is added into the device properties.

Here is the setting for my unsupported RX550 on the B550 motherboard. You'll need to change the device-id to DF6F0000 for RX580:

View attachment 6034

I already had npci=0x2000 in my boot-arg but I added agdpmod=ignore. But it wouldn't boot when I did the second part of your suggestion. I have a 590, not a 580. What's the device-id I'd need for the 590?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I already had npci=0x2000 in my boot-arg but I added agdpmod=ignore. But it wouldn't boot when I did the second part of your suggestion. I have a 590, not a 580. What's the device-id I'd need for the 590?
Normally you'd find it under the AMD GPU PCI ID repo here, added in reverse byte order > https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002

But as it is absent from the listing, you will have to get it from your system itself which is either by Windows/Linux system properties or apps such as CPU-Z or GPU-Z.
In Windows look under Device Manager > Display > Properties > Hardware IDs

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Normally you'd find it under the AMD GPU PCI ID repo here, added in reverse byte order > https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002

But as it is absent from the listing, you will have to get it from your system itself which is either by Windows/Linux system properties or apps such as CPU-Z or GPU-Z.
In Windows look under Device Manager > Display > Properties > Hardware IDs

Okay, this is what I did.

And when I try to boot up, it just ends up stuck doing this endlessly.

What did I do wrong?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Okay, this is what I did.

And when I try to boot up, it just ends up stuck doing this endlessly.

What did I do wrong?
Okay. Try to change your device id to DF670000 and see if that works first.

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Okay. Try to change your device id to DF670000 and see if that works first.

Booted up correctly this time, still black-screened after a few minutes. I don't know, maybe it's not actually a GPU issue? I could have sworn that before, my About This Mac section identified the card correctly as an AMD Radeon RX 590 but now after I input the stuff we discussed above, it comes up as this:

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 11.22.06 AM.png

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Booted up correctly this time, still black-screened after a few minutes. I don't know, maybe it's not actually a GPU issue? I could have sworn that before, my About This Mac section identified the card correctly as an AMD Radeon RX 590 but now after I input the stuff we discussed above, it comes up as this:

View attachment 6049
Alright. Well I guess that is a cosmetic issue - should be fixed by renaming the model info.

As for the screen blacking out, you could try adding the CFG setting below I've highlighted to the device properties
and see if it helps.

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.29.24 AM.png

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Alright. Well I guess that is a cosmetic issue - should be fixed by renaming the model info.

As for the screen blacking out, you could try adding the CFG setting below I've highlighted to the device properties
and see if it helps.

View attachment 6052

Won't get to the sign-in screen with that.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Have you done a NVRAM reset before trying to boot the EFI again?

My boot menu doesn't have the reset NVRAM option anymore, I don't know what I did to get rid of it, must have deleted something in the config. How do I get it back?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
My boot menu doesn't have the reset NVRAM option anymore, I don't know what I did to get rid of it, must have deleted something in the config. How do I get it back?
Check under your Misc > Tools section and add it back in there. It resides as ResetSystem.efi in your EFI/OC/Tools folder.

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member

and see if it helps.

View attachment 6052

I just get this:

Photo Jun 09, 8 09 43 PM.jpg

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Right, okay. Can I ask - did you ever look at my completed B550 build for Monterey? This is my build here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...samsung-1tb-970-evo-plus.319781/#post-2316424

Btw I should also mention, one of the lines you have for Device Properties as hda-gfx should read as ON-BOARD for the value and Type is set to String. It was a mistake I made when I entered it (forgot to switch the Type to String).

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.