My system freezes and audio stutters, requiring a reboot

wild_eep

AMD OS X Member
I've had an issue come up the last three days that has been puzzling me.

For the most part, my system has been running well, but the last couple days, my system will suddenly freeze. I lose all keyboard and mouse control and audio will stutter and play the last sound repeatedly. All three times that this has happened, was while watching a youtube video. The only thing I can do to regain control of my system is to reboot. The only recent changes to my system is the last MacOS update a couple weeks ago and OpenCore 0.6.2 a couple days ago. For OpenCore updates, I always go through the Install Guide to build a fresh config.plist from scratch and did a sanity check on it.

Has anyone encountered this issue or have any suggestions?

LazyBayes

AMD OS X Member
Any progress on your problem @wild_eep? I've been struggling with the same or similar issue for almost a year now. For me, things are generally fine until I watch videos, play games, update my phone, or do computationally intensive tasks.

Things I've tried but don't fix the issue include:
  • Change SMBIOS from iMacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1.
  • Set PCI Express slots to GEN3 from Auto.
  • Cleaning or Reseting NVRAM.
  • Including and excluding various kexts.
  • Messing with config.plist settings from people with functional builds.
  • I keep needed kexts and opencore up to date.
This list could go on. At one point, I thought it had to do with my CPU and GPU combo in that they didn't get along for some reason. However, there are people out there with similar specs without this issue. I'm starting to think it may have something to do with the RAM, though I have no proof unless I purchase different RAM, which I'm not willing to do right now.

Ultimately, Windows and Linux function just fine. At this point, the Ryzentosh seems generally not worth the effort. I'd be interested to hear if you have figured something out, or if anyone else has some insight into the issue.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.