[ SOLVED ] MSI MEG UNIFY: ethernet + wifi dead

clover84

AMD OS X Member

UPDATE

Fixed all the issues. Steps:
1. Install Monterey with your current BIOS (important, with an old BIOS the Monterey installer GUI doesn't work due to AGESA issues), but don't launch it yet. Once you see the first Monterey welcome screen, just exit / reset.
2. Get BIOS version 7C35vA3 from 2020-01-16, flash it, setup properly (CSM→UEFI, Above 4G decoding→on, disable secure boot etc). It might work with Monterey installer too, but no guarantee (it didn't on my setup, thus I had to install the whole thing with a recent firmware).
3. Rebuild your SSDTs from Windows if needed after flashing BIOS.
4. Update OC for Monterey.
5. Launch Monterey. You should now have working PCI devices including built-in wifi, ethernet etc.

Shoutout to @yawlex on Discord for pointing me to the bios downgrade trick.

---
Hey all.

I've tried installing Monterey (12.2 and 12.2.1) a few times, via an update from Big Sur and by installing a fresh copy on a separate disk. The major problem I'm facing is that none of my network works, I have a Fenvi WiFi card and an RTL8125 ethernet. BigSur is my daily driver with no issues whatsoever.

Specs:
MB: MSI MEG UNIFY
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
OC: 0.7.8

Things I've tried:
  • Playing with config.plist and BIOS options
  • Updating BIOS to the latest version
  • Using config.plist values and ACPI files from here
  • Explicitly specifying PCI paths for Ethernet & WiFi copied from Hackintool
  • Enabling / disabling SIP options (I thought, the LucyRTL kext just wouldn't load)
  • IONetworkingFamily.kext & IOPCIFamily.kext from here (won't boot, OC can't find the path to extension) from here
@Shaneee everybody seems to believe that there are no issues with RTL8125 (Lucy kext), only with the Intel network cards. But here I am, I've spent a few days researching to find zero info / similar cases. Maybe you know smth :)

Last edited:

clover84

AMD OS X Member
Can you go back to the latest BIOS after downgrading once, for the Setup?

Also, is there any huge benefit going for Montesery instead of staying on Big Sur?
— Yes you can, but with newer BIOSes the network stack is broken even if macOS is already installed.
— For me there was one benefit: GPU rendering in Blender only works on macOS 12+.

clover84

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for this! been looking for answers! what if I installed the flashback BIOS of my motherboard but I have a working Monterey OS already?
NP!
I had a working Monterey install with new and old BIOSes. With old versions I sometimes get random crashes. With new versions I don't have any network (except for a usb dongle), even my Fenvi card doesn't work.

Ehnoah

AMD OS X Member
— Yes you can, but with newer BIOSes the network stack is broken even if macOS is already installed.
— For me there was one benefit: GPU rendering in Blender only works on macOS 12+.

You are running 12.0 with X570 right now?

I owning a MSI Meg Unify X570, I would love to upgrade to 12.X but it seems there is no "easy" way right now?

My BIOS is from early 2022

clover84

AMD OS X Member
You are running 12.0 with X570 right now?

I owning a MSI Meg Unify X570, I would love to upgrade to 12.X but it seems there is no "easy" way right now?

My BIOS is from early 2022
Yes, correct. x570 + 12.6
AFAIK it's relatively safe to downgrade your bios, I've done it like 50 times before I found a working one. But if I were you and didn't REALLY need 12.6, I'd stay on 11 and keep the new BIOS.

Ehnoah

AMD OS X Member
Yes, correct. x570 + 12.6
AFAIK it's relatively safe to downgrade your bios, I've done it like 50 times before I found a working one. But if I were you and didn't REALLY need 12.6, I'd stay on 11 and keep the new BIOS.

My Issue I got right now, is that I running a 3 Monitor Setup, 2x Display Port and my 3. One is an HDMI one, when ever I enable the HDMI one, mac "freezes" and "unfreezes" and so on.

Sometimes it works flawlessly, but it often freezes, is there any way to disable the Monitor by Kexst / disable HDMI on GPU?

I don't need the 3. Monitor (it is my TV)

My Load Order in case it matters: (Also not sure if all kexst are still required?)

1663764325990.png

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
My Issue I got right now, is that I running a 3 Monitor Setup, 2x Display Port and my 3. One is an HDMI one, when ever I enable the HDMI one, mac "freezes" and "unfreezes" and so on.

Sometimes it works flawlessly, but it often freezes, is there any way to disable the Monitor by Kexst / disable HDMI on GPU?

I don't need the 3. Monitor (it is my TV)

My Load Order in case it matters: (Also not sure if all kexst are still required?)

View attachment 7304
You can disable GPUs two ways. One is to use either the -wegnoigpu setting (for internal cards) or -wegnoegpu (for external cards) under NVRAM as a boot-arg OR use a SSDT-Disable-DGPU.aml in your EFI/OC/ACPI folder with the PCI path defined from say your Windows/Linux hardware device settings. Check the Dortania guides for more info on this.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Simply unplug the HDMI cable connected to the TV. You don’t need to disable the HDMI connector on the graphics card.

Disabling a specific display out connector is not an option.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.