MSI mag x570 tomahawk wifi - Can't disable RTX3080 fe

lesnico

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone,

I've succeeded at installing MacOS Big Sur on my computer and for the most part, it works great!
You can see my topic here : https://forum.amd-osx.com/index.php?threads/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi-big-sur-opencore-0-7-0.1848/

I've got one big issue however that I can't seem to resolve.
I have two GPUs on my computer, a RTX3080 fe on the first PCI-E SLOT (x16) for gaming in Windows and a rx480 4go on the second for MacOS.

I can't disable my RTX3080 fe and I need to do it because it prevents my computer to sleep normally.

When it is installed on my computer, my computer takes a super long time to sleep and wake up from sleep.

I've tried bot methods explained on the dortania guide:

DeviceProperties Method​

Code:
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

namedata23646973706C6179
IONamestring#display
class-codedataFFFFFFFF

But the gpu is still there when I reboot.

SSDT Method​

I've found the PCI-E path on windows (Location path) and converted it as explained. It gave me this result :
Code:
_SB_.PCI0.GPP8.GFX1

And here's my Spoof-SSDT.dsl:

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "DRTNIA", "spoof", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0.GPP8.GFX1, DeviceObj)

Method (_SB_.PCI0.GPP8.GFX1._DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
    {
        If ((!Arg2 || !_OSI ("Darwin")))
        {
            Return (Buffer (One)
            {
                 0x03
            })
        }

Return (Package (0x0A)
        {
            "name",
            Buffer (0x09)
            {
                "#display"
            },

"IOName",
            "#display",
            "class-code",
            Buffer (0x04)
            {
                 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF
            }
        })
    }
}

But it also doesn't work.

Finally, I found on a german forum that if I add the following entry to my config.plist, it's now working but the boot time of my Hackintosh is very slow (2,3mn) :

device_typestringVGA compatible controller

config.png
What could be the issue here?
I've spent litteraly the entire night browsing google to try to find an answer but nothing, hence why I'm turning to you.
Thank you for your help!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
What you've done seems correct but I've never had to deal with it. Try booting macOS with the display connector removed from the Nvidia GPU to test.

lesnico

AMD OS X Member
I've disconnected the HDMI cable pluged into my RTX3080 but still nothing.
I've tried with both solutions.

I've discovered something tho, when I go to system informations > Graphic/Displays, it shows my card on the wrong pci-e slot :

sfd.png
It also take like 20/30seconds to show the content of this menu entry.
display (rtx3080) should be on the first slot and my amd card on the second right?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
macOS doesn't read the slots in the same way as Windows. However if I recall that is how it looks when your Disable method is working.

lesnico

AMD OS X Member
From what I've gathered on internet and when I added the device_type in my config.plist, the 'display' entry shouldn't be visible...
The biggest issue yet is that I can't go to sleep with the RTX still activated (or at least it takes a reaaaaly long time).

edit: another thing, when I boot to macOS, just before arriving to the login screen, my fans ramp up at 100% for like 30seconds, I don't think this is normal :/

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I'm unfamilliar with doing this, maybe @AudioGod or @Gigamaxx have a suggestion. The fan ramp is "normal" but not for that long. My RX 480 gives out a short burst as did my RX 560.

lesnico

AMD OS X Member
Sorry I've just checked and it isn't that long, I guess it's more like the behaviour your gpu is having haha, i'm becoming paranoid hahaha
No problems, thanks a lot for taking the time to try and help me, I appreciate it ;)

lesnico

AMD OS X Member
As I explained on the main port, the only solution that works for me is to add the following entry on my config.plist (Root -> DeviceProperties -> Add)

It's working but my boot time is extremely long with this solution (almost 2 minutes). I've tried to activate the debug mode to try and see if they were some errors but i'm still cluecless.

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)Dictionary
namedata23646973706C6179
IONamestring#display
class-codedataFFFFFFFF

clover84

AMD OS X Member
As I explained on the main port, the only solution that works for me is to add the following entry on my config.plist (Root -> DeviceProperties -> Add)

It's working but my boot time is extremely long with this solution (almost 2 minutes). I've tried to activate the debug mode to try and see if they were some errors but i'm still cluecless.

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)Dictionary
namedata23646973706C6179
IONamestring#display
class-codedataFFFFFFFF
Hi! Any progress here? :)
I've got the exact same issue. Can't disable the RTX 2070S neither with DeviceProperties nor with SSDT. And the VGA compatible controller increased my boot time as well.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.