Moving from Gigabyte B450 I with Ryzen 2600 to a new motherboard. Suggestions?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Ever since I installed Catalina 10.15.7 on my Gigabyte B450 I with Ryzen 2600 I have had no wifi or Bluetooth. Some people had mentioned fixes but nothing worked. So I decided to buy a Fenvi FV-HB1200 PCI-E Wireless card. Only I forgot that my motherboard doesn't have a PCI-e slot!

So now I am on the hunt for a new motherboard. It is not such a biggie. I needed a new case, graphics card and some more memory anyway so I may as well get a new board.

The question is, which one? What board will be most compatible with Big Sur? Which board will also let me run with Wifi, Bluetooth and with iMessage and Facetime working? Neither of those apps work at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Any board will work really. The only deciding factor is does it have what you need. I can say however I've had no issues with my MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus board. It's got the PCI-E slot you need for WiFi and BT. Depending on your config / SMBios setup iMessage etc will work, it's not board dependant. That board also supports your 2600, https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#support-cpu

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
So the iMessage thing is not a board issue but a settings thing? I tried a few things like changing the serial number but it still doesn't work.

I don't think I can get the wifi or Bluetooth to work without using the Fenvi card so in that respect I still need a new motherboard. However, I don't want to spend a fortune on one because I will also upgrade my graphics card. I am currently using an old X7850 which is "ok" but something a little faster would not go amiss.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Getting iMessage to work can be tiresome. It'll take some time unless your lucky. Use the Dortania guide for setting it up.
As for your choice of Fenvi card. It'll work OOB on macOS after a quick search. The USB on the system will need mapped for the BT to function correctly on an AMD system though.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.