Motherboard for DAWs, TB3

RyanC

AMD OS X Member
Hey All-

I'm looking into setting up a 5950x rig with TB3 for DAW use (PT, Studio One, Logic, Ableton). I did read that some don't recommend Ryzen for daw, I want to give it a shot because I saw some very promising benchmarks for low latency stability on win, and I'd like to use this to compare to my current hacks (7980xe's), to an M1 etc and figure out what the next step will be for me. So realistically, just the best shot I can do with a 5950x ryzentosh would be fine...

Ultimately I need TB3, 10G,. U.2 and one Sata port. I have promise 10g NICs and Highpoint U.2 controller though (both work OOB in my 7980xe hacks), so I don't need all that to be built in to the mobo.

One thing that is a deal breaker for me is the scenario where TB3 works from a cold boot, but not a warm boot when the connection has been lost. I prefer to sacrifice hotplug. My computers are in an AC controlled cabinet that requires a ladder so cold boots are a PITA.

Any recommendations? Or threads I can read?

Thanks

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
If you don't have a specific reason for AMD Hackintosh, go with Intel. The incompatibilities will only pile up and Intel just works better. I speak from experience, I had 3900x which worked well even with sleep and stuff, but I switched to i9 10850k and it's a BIG difference in overall smoothness and stability. You won't also have to think about compatibility at all.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.