macOS on kvm - success with 3700x and 740gt - and opinion vs bare metal ryzentosh

erezbaron

Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
ok so here's my pros and cons :

kvm :

++everything works -- waves plugins ,reaper - at least for audio ,only about 5% performance loss
--you have to passthrough gpu and usb controller for near native performance
--not easy to set up perfectly on linux but there are great guides online
--recommend using low latency linux kernel

if anyone is interested its really a great option for risen mackintosh

FisionBoy

May 10, 2020
Thanks for share it. This is probably the way used by Morgonaut... and maybe the future of hackintosh. Who knows.

rajovo

May 4, 2020
I'm super interested. I'd love to be able to easily switch between Windows 10 for gaming and MacOS - I don't even need both live at the same time, just to switch between "hibernated" OSes and not reboot all the time. Is that possible? Do I still need two GPUs for that (3900X doesn't have an iGPU)?

erezbaron

Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
I did use windows vm and macos in linux together its possible and works very well ,but i just daul boot now with windows . and autorun macos at linux boot .

Its really amazing technology but takes time to learn because it has many option .
You can built one host with like 3950x and 32g memory and create two pcs with 16 threads and 16g each they can run together with two screens

I think thats amazing

erezbaron

Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
You can do it with one gpu using hook scripts it works but its not easy to set up ,use cockpit in your phone to help you troubleshoot .
Ocne you get it ,save all the setup files for future use

erezbaron

Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
Buying a cheap old is gpu for linux use is easier for passing your main gpu .then single gpu stuff

Reactions: rajovo

rajovo

May 4, 2020
Have you followed any particular guide? My a gt 710 for the Linux host is on the way. Thanks.