macOS Monterey Released

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
600px-MacOS_Monterey_logo.png

macOS Monterey​

The latest version of macOS, Monterey, is now available to download according to Apple. The software has been available in public beta for several months, but today’s release means Apple thinks the software is ready for everyday use.

As is tradition, Apple announced its latest version of macOS at WWDC in June. New features include the ability to set Macs as an AirPlay target to play content from iPhones and iPads, as well as Shortcuts, Apple’s iOS automation software. There have also been improvements made to FaceTime, as well as a new Quick Note feature. For a full rundown of what’s on the way, check out our preview from July, as well as Apple’s own feature list.

Unfortunately, some of Monterey’s biggest new additions, Universal Control and SharePlay, don’t seem to be available at launch. Apple notes that both features will be available “later this fall.

Universal Control allows files to be dragged and dropped between several different machines, as Apple’s Craig Federighi demonstrated at WWDC. It also will let you control multiple Apple devices including Macs, MacBooks, and iPads, with the same mouse and keyboard.

SharePlay will enable shared experiences of music, TV shows, movies, and more while connected over FaceTime. Once it’s available, Apple says you can use the feature with Apple Music, Apple TV+ and unnamed “popular third-party services.”

It’s better news when it comes to Safari’s redesign, which by default now uses a more traditional interface rather than the controversial new tab design introduced at WWDC. Early users complained that, among other things, the changes made it far too difficult to work out which tab was currently active.

The full list of Macs that can run Monterey can be found below:

For those keeping track, there are a couple of models that got Big Sur last year that have been left out of the Monterey party. These include the 2015 MacBook, the 2013 MacBook Air, the late 2013 MacBook Pro, and the 2014 iMac. Here’s Apple’s guide for identifying your specific model, and here’s ours for updating your machine.

To install Monterey, go to System Preferences > Software Update (or search “Software Update” in Spotlight). If Monterey shows up as an available install, you can then click the upgrade button to begin the install process. If it doesn’t show up, you may need to check back in later, as it continues to roll out.

Hackintosh Notes:​

• As with the beta version make sure you've got OpenCore 0.7.4 as older versions had issues with SecureBootModel not working.
  • Ensure you've got the latest AMD Vanilla patches and you've taken a look at the ReadMe. They won't work unless you make some changes ;)
  • If you rely on SmallTree for LAN you're out of luck just now until something is created to replace it.
  • Some MSI board will not work on Monterey with newer BIOS revisions. If you've got a MSI board try booting a USB installer rather than an update. If the installer boots install to a second partition/drive to test stability.

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Also worth mentioning, some MSI boards don't work with Monterey using newer BIOS revisions.

bejod70373

AMD OS X Member
Will MSI B450M Mortar max work?
did anyone try? Big Sur work just fine :)

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Will MSI B450M Mortar max work?
did anyone try? Big Sur work just fine :)
MSI boards have serious issues with Monterey, Not sure about the B450 line up but the B550 and X570 boards are a mess. If you are not using a 5000 series CPU then there is a fix by simply rolling back the bios firmware until you find one that works. Start at the earliest revision and then work your way up missing nothing and one will work. If your using a 5000 series though then there’s nothing you can do. Monterey does not like The MSI ACPI at all.

Seyven

AMD OS X Member
Update working just fine. I wish only AppleIGB didn't give lag spikes and disconnection every time it goes to sleep. Hope it gets better soon or late :)

bejod70373

AMD OS X Member
MSI boards have serious issues with Monterey, Not sure about the B450 line up but the B550 and X570 boards are a mess. If you are not using a 5000 series CPU then there is a fix by simply rolling back the bios firmware until you find one that works. Start at the earliest revision and then work your way up missing nothing and one will work. If your using a 5000 series though then there’s nothing you can do. Monterey does not like The MSI ACPI at all.
I'm using Ryzen 7 3700x,
I tried to boot with Monterey USB Installer(With your "AudioGod's ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING - Big Sur & Monterey Beta - OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI" and just replace some kext 😅). And yes, it is booted into the installer without any problem. Although I did not try to install the OS, because it is a busy week. will try next week.
Is this a good sign? Should I try to install OS on SSD?

Also I'm currently using your EFI folder with modifying the Kext & Serial, It's working fine. Should I keep using it? will there be any problem?

p2mmao

AMD OS X Member
All said MSI B550M MORTAR WIFI and 5800X can not be upgraded to 12.01 Monterey from BigSur 11.x, because of the motherboard BIOS problems, , today I downloaded the image of 12.01 Monterey, and in BigSur 11.6, I install the image directly, after 15 mins installation, it auto reboot to the OC 0.7.4 (patched with AMD fix) menu, I selected Macintosh HDD, it keep on the installation for another 10 mins, then auto reboot, it auto selected Macintosh HDD to keep on installation for another 20 mins, then auto reboot to the OC menu, this time, it auto select “BigSur” option, I let it start for about 20 mins, during the progress, it auto reboot for 2 times, at the third time, it finally reached to the lock screen of 12.01 Monterey, but my mouse and keyboard connected to the 2 USB2.0 ports of MSI B550M MORTAR WIFI didn’t work because I didn’t customized USB in BigSur 11.6, so I used a USB extender connected to USB3.1 port for my mouse and keyboard, it worked, so I can input password to enter the desktop, after a few tests, I found several problems:

1. can not identify MSI B550M MORTAR WIFI mortar 2.5G network card, before in BigSur 11.2-11.6, it is to rely on LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext to work, now this driver does not support the Monterey

2. the motherboard comes with AX200 wireless card, but I can not enable WIFI, showing an error in the preferences, before in BigSur 11.2-11.6, it is to rely on AirportItlwm.kext, now I download the 2.0 stable version which supports Monterey, thrown into the OC Kexts directory, reboot, the wifi still an not be enabled.

3 every time after reboot, there is a good chance that it suddenly crashed into OC menu, then I re-selected BigSur option, it booted for about 2mins into the lock screen of 12.01 Monterey.

What can I do about these 3 problems? Other than these problem, it seems normal, the motherboard BIOS version is 7C94v18

截屏2021-10-27-下午1.50.jpg

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi I am a little confused. I am downloading right now Monterey stable release 12.0.1 via the normal update method in Big Sur.
I am using OC 0.74 and the SecureBootModel is set to default. Should I set it to "disabled" before the PC restarts?
Also my SmBios is iMacPro1,1. Is this OK for Monterey?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Leborgne23

AMD OS X Member
Anyone tested Monterey 12.1 beta to see it it changes anything ?

Levonhard

AMD OS X Member
All said MSI B550M MORTAR WIFI and 5800X can not be upgraded to 12.01 Monterey from BigSur 11.x, because of the motherboard BIOS problems, , today I downloaded the image of 12.01 Monterey, and in BigSur 11.6, I install the image directly, after 15 mins installation, it auto reboot to the OC 0.7.4 (patched with AMD fix) menu, I selected Macintosh HDD, it keep on the installation for another 10 mins, then auto reboot, it auto selected Macintosh HDD to keep on installation for another 20 mins, then auto reboot to the OC menu, this time, it auto select “BigSur” option, I let it start for about 20 mins, during the progress, it auto reboot for 2 times, at the third time, it finally reached to the lock screen of 12.01 Monterey, but my mouse and keyboard connected to the 2 USB2.0 ports of MSI B550M MORTAR WIFI didn’t work because I didn’t customized USB in BigSur 11.6, so I used a USB extender connected to USB3.1 port for my mouse and keyboard, it worked, so I can input password to enter the desktop, after a few tests, I found several problems:

1. can not identify MSI B550M MORTAR WIFI mortar 2.5G network card, before in BigSur 11.2-11.6, it is to rely on LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext to work, now this driver does not support the Monterey

2. the motherboard comes with AX200 wireless card, but I can not enable WIFI, showing an error in the preferences, before in BigSur 11.2-11.6, it is to rely on AirportItlwm.kext, now I download the 2.0 stable version which supports Monterey, thrown into the OC Kexts directory, reboot, the wifi still an not be enabled.

3 every time after reboot, there is a good chance that it suddenly crashed into OC menu, then I re-selected BigSur option, it booted for about 2mins into the lock screen of 12.01 Monterey.

What can I do about these 3 problems? Other than these problem, it seems normal, the motherboard BIOS version is 7C94v18

View attachment 4266
Can you share your EFI so I can try to boot into Monterey too?
I have the same MOBO and I am trying to boot with Opencore 0.7.5. In my case sometimes just crash and restart while booting in verbose and sometimes panic kernel happens.
Just to understand what you have done. You upgraded to Monterey from Big Sur using Opencore 0.7.4, and after some restarts you were able to boot and log in into Monterey but wifi, ethernet, usb 2.0 doesn't work anymore?

p2mmao

AMD OS X Member
I have the same MOBO and I am trying to boot with Opencore 0.7.5. In my case sometimes just crash and restart while booting in verbose and sometimes panic kernel happens.
Just to understand what you have done. You upgraded to Monterey from Big Sur using Opencore 0.7.4, and after some restarts you were able to boot and log in into Monterey but wifi, ethernet, usb 2.0 doesn't work anymore?

I tried these two EFI, they are ok for upgrading from 11.6 to 12.0.1 or 12.1beta 3, or install 12.0.1 or 12.1beta directly, but you should edit the config plist in these two EFI/OC first, add boot-args: agdpmod=pikera, othewise the screen will be black after running all codes.

the attached EFI is mine for r upgrading from 11.6 to 12.0.1 or 12.1beta 3, or install 12.0.1 or 12.1beta directly

I tried these three EFI, but cant get Wi-Fi, bluetooth and erthnet card work so far, I've found that in 12.xx, I lost one of My USB3.1 controller, the OS only enbale one USB3.1 controller, not two

BTW: everytime I tried 3-4 times to enter the OS, so pls select the OC option, ctrl+enter, let it automatically retried for you

DON“t forget to edit the config.plist, change the 8 cores to 6 cores

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    22.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

yaarthe7

AMD OS X Member
According to Apple's release notes, there are no new prominent features in watchOS 8.7. Instead, the software focuses on under-the-hood "improvements," along with bug fixes and important security updates.

iOS/iPadOS 15.6

iOS 15.6 includes enhancements, bug fixes and security updates.

- TV app adds the option to restart a live sports game already in-progress and pause, rewind, or fast-forward.

- Fixes an issue where Settings may continue to display that device storage is full even if it is available.

- Fixes an issue that may cause braille devices to slow down or stop responding when navigating text in Mail.

- Fixes an issue in Safari where a tab may revert back to a previous page.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.