Tutorial macOS Big Sur on VMware Workstation with OpenCore

Ken5998

AMD OS X Member

mattc

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone :)

I have created a little guide to install macOS Big Sur (11.0.1 or 11.1 Beta) on VMware Workstation 16 (I think also the Player version will work).

Hope I can help someone :D
Nice, would this work with virtual box?

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@AMDPUSH I just finished trying it a moment ago and got big sur installed using he’s image and it works ok but I think I’m going to try again and this time do it from a usb installer and make the EFI myself modifying what I use already.

@Ken5998 Awesome little guide buddy and perfect for my U.K. LockDown boredom 😂
As I said above i installed the VM using your image (method 1) and its all working ok but I did notice a huge amount of errors while it was booting into the installer, OS using your EFI inside the image. Is that normal or should I convert my own EFI and try it that way?
Also apart from the obvious things like removing WEG and my usb mapping etc etc are there any quirks that need to be set that normally wouldn’t be on a stranded AMD EFI?

Update, Not to worry...I sussed it out and have my EFI running and the errors have cleared up. :)

Last edited:

Ken5998

AMD OS X Member
Everything is working ?
Yeah, almost everything. As you can imagine the GPU performance are not the best because you can get only 128MB of video memory.
And the sound it's not perfect with the VoodooHDA kext

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Not tried Big Sur on VBox Windows, last macOS I used in a VM there was High Sierra. You can "spoof" the CPU etc with VBox and use the Apple Bootloader without messing around with getting OC on the EFI etc.

mattc

AMD OS X Member
Hey,
I have been trying, and I get stuck installing, in the virtual machine with the disk being locked.

Thanks for any advice,

M

tylerwolf35

AMD OS X Member
Hi, I am unsure what do to with the MountEFI program as I am doing everything I understand I have to do but I cannot boot from the EFI. I have created a video that shows what I am doing: here; what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:

tylerwolf35

AMD OS X Member
Hi, I am unsure what do to with the MountEFI program as I am doing everything I understand I have to do but I cannot boot from the EFI. I have created a video that shows what I am doing: here; what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
I was able to fix this, realized that I was copying the contents of the EFI folder rather than the folder itself. My rookie mistake.

mindtouch

AMD OS X Member
Hi, this seemed to work really well for me (Method 1) thanks! The only issue is choppy audio, is there a fix for this?

Ken5998

AMD OS X Member
Hi, this seemed to work really well for me (Method 1) thanks! The only issue is choppy audio, is there a fix for this?
Hi, great, I'm glad :)
For the audio issue I haven't found yet an other solution 😣

mminc

AMD OS X Member
Hi Ken, thank you for this whole tutorial! After a lot of trial and error (my lack of understanding) I managed to get the OS up and running inside VMware, thank you so much for that! I was wondering if you had any advice on getting my graphics card to work in the environment? I'm not able to change the screen size and cand see anything in the Sketch app artboard. It seems like there's no GPU assistance currently :/

Ken5998

AMD OS X Member
Hi Ken, thank you for this whole tutorial! After a lot of trial and error (my lack of understanding) I managed to get the OS up and running inside VMware, thank you so much for that! I was wondering if you had any advice on getting my graphics card to work in the environment? I'm not able to change the screen size and cand see anything in the Sketch app artboard. It seems like there's no GPU assistance currently :/
Hi :)
Thank you, I'm very pleased!

Have you tried installing the VMware Tools? With that you can actually get a "usable" environment with the automatic screen size change but it's not like a real machine...
You can find this tools/software inside the Unlocker folder called darwin.iso, then you can simply attach this iso to the VM like a CD and install the VMware tools.

Let me know if this can help you :)

mminc

AMD OS X Member
Hi :)
Thank you, I'm very pleased!

Have you tried installing the VMware Tools? With that you can actually get a "usable" environment with the automatic screen size change but it's not like a real machine...
You can find this tools/software inside the Unlocker folder called darwin.iso, then you can simply attach this iso to the VM like a CD and install the VMware tools.

Let me know if this can help you :)
Hi Ken, thank you for your prompt response! :) After some trial and error, I managed to get a version of VMware tools to work in the environment which resolved some of the sluggishness of the system and I even managed to get a better resolution out of it :) But the system still runs a little slow, I'm wondering if maybe my GPU might not be supported, I'm using an Nvidia GTX 1080 card? :/ If that could be the case, would you be willing to recommend any possible fixes for it?

Letrix

AMD OS X Member
What does have better performance, Catalina or Big Sur?
I want to use it to test React Native 0.64 apps and it requires Xcode 12 only available for Catalina and up, and I get compile errors for 0.63+ apps on High Sierra with XCode 10.
Also, a little off-topic, would be better to try Catalina hackintosh even without NVIDIA drivers or would be worse than VM?
Thanks.

Ken5998

AMD OS X Member
What does have better performance, Catalina or Big Sur?
I want to use it to test React Native 0.64 apps and it requires Xcode 12 only available for Catalina and up, and I get compile errors for 0.63+ apps on High Sierra with XCode 10.
Also, a little off-topic, would be better to try Catalina hackintosh even without NVIDIA drivers or would be worse than VM?
Thanks.
I would say they are pretty much the same.
They both have the flaw of only having 128MB of video memory (with the VMware Tools), so if you have to do graphics work it's not the best, but usable.

Ken5998

AMD OS X Member
Hi Ken, thank you for your prompt response! :) After some trial and error, I managed to get a version of VMware tools to work in the environment which resolved some of the sluggishness of the system and I even managed to get a better resolution out of it :) But the system still runs a little slow, I'm wondering if maybe my GPU might not be supported, I'm using an Nvidia GTX 1080 card? :/ If that could be the case, would you be willing to recommend any possible fixes for it?
Sorry for the late reply :oops:
Unfortunately there are currently no other solutions other than installing macOS directly on your PC, because this would be the only way to be able to use a GPU and have better performance.
With the GTX 1080 you could at best install version 10.13 High Sierra, as there is no more support for Nvidia video cards since Mojave.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.