Machead builds a PC

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
Hi.

I’m a loooong time Mac user who decided to build a PC in stead of buying a Mac about two years ago.
That journey has been a wild ride on itself. I didn’t immediately intend to run MacOS on it but decided to keep the possibility somewhat in mind when I was choosing my parts. OS options can be real time savers, I’ve noticed ever since installing Win8.1 pro on my cheese grater.
Only a few weeks ago did I finally try and instal MacOS on it, kind of out of necessity since my MBP started to regularly crash all of a sudden. Since I’ve been documenting the process on YT and I have no other powerful Mac at my disposal, this has halted my video production.
So I finally decided to Hack.

All in all the instal process was remarkably easy, but I’ve been having no luck so far with getting some things working.
I’m now several ‘fixes’ in, none of them worked, I’ve exhausted Google and YouTube so I guess I’m finally ready to humbly ask for some help. :D
So…. Hi!
(Waves his white briefs up on a stick)

Pulsar

AMD OS X Member
Glad to see that I'm not the only one to have "ditched" Macs after years of use ... I think in the end it is a must. Win 10 is not bad at all ... and then, if you can do a hack, it becomes perfect!

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I used Macs since about 2005, ended up with a Mac mini server 2011 but when I really needed to replace it, Apple didn't have any interesting offerings. The mini upgrades were anything but. I mentally made the switch to Windows but bought the pc parts with Hackintosh in mind, more like "funny to try on a second drive". But with OpenCore this machine was more stable than my mini, which two kernel panics a week. After about two weeks of testing I felt comfortable to make the Hackintosh my main driver, with Windows Pro (which I'd already purchased) for gaming.

Honestly now the offerings by Apple are much better than just 2-3 years ago and I see myself returning a long time down the road. I've read rumors that their 2022 planned Mac Pro line-up will still have (optional) Intel cpu's so they will (have to) offer macOS in that flavour for longer than I originally thought.

Pulsar

AMD OS X Member
I have always used Macs since the days of the PowerPC. In my opinion many things have changed, among all the thing that surprised me most is the stability of Windows 10.

When I was planning to mount the PC I read I don't know how many guides to build the most stable Hack possible ... in the end thanks to the advice of a friend I was convinced to take the hardware I wanted without thinking too much about the hackintosh. In the end I still managed to mount macOS on a fully AMD PC and, I must say, it runs perfectly!

It was a long time since I went through the list of Macs on the Apple site ... if I think about the results of the benchmarks of my hackintosh, in relation to how much I spent and the type of PC I assembled ... honestly I laugh to think to spend € 2,400 for an iMac, even in the 27 "version.

I love macOS, I love how the operating system is refined and things work great, especially between Apple devices ... but I wouldn't buy a Mac anymore.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.