Looks like Studio One 4 runs slow -- EDIT: SO5 runs well

MadMax1998

AMD OS X Member
I'm testing my rig using beta 11.0.1, getting ready to deploy the release version of Big Sur tomorrow. So far all apps I've thrown at it behave the same as in Catalina except PreSonus Studio One 4. I don't have version 5 so can't test that. EDIT: I've downloaded Studio One 5 Prime and that runs flawlessly! The same demo sessions and my own sessions can be opened in SO4 and it runs choppy, while in SO5 they run well.

Sound comes out fine through my Steinberg UR-22 interface, but the framerate in Studio One lags a lot. It looks like the app runs at 10 FPS or so. Menus become choppy as well until I stop playback; then it takes a moment to settle down before becoming responsive again.

Testing Logic Pro on the same system ran well without issues.

System is Ryzen 3700X with 16 GB 3200 MHz RAM and RX 5700 XT. I'm not asking for fixes (unless you have one!), just reporting my findings so anyone who wants to use Big Sur for audio work is informed.

Last edited:

drmeatball

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Awesome to hear! Do you use any Waves plugins at all? I know there were incompatibility reports under Catalina but wondering if they persist with BS? I have a 3900X w/ 64GB and a 5700XT I'd like to convert.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Maybe @AudioGod could chime in on these questions, given his name. :p
I don’t use waves plugins, I don’t like them at all. Way to generic and fake sounding for me.
I use FabFilter and izotope plugins and they work beautifully.
From what a remember some waves plugins work and some don’t with Ryzen.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.