Laptop Ryzentosh for Gaming-WTF??? Mine apparently can!

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
IMG_1534.JPGFirstly, I am very impressed with this laptop hackintosh. I have several computers with various GPUs, from RTX 3080 TI, 2080 ti, GTX 1080, RX 6900 XT. All of these GPUS are great for gaming especially in windows.

BUT...I was wandering how my laptop Hackintosh would do, especially because the dedicated GPU is a Vega 56 with 8GB of video ram. Knowing that Macs in general don't sport great dedicated GPU's especially Macbooks (except the 5600m, buts a 50 watts card) I'd figure do some test.

HOLY CRAP! This thing can game! well at least so far. I have tested a limited amount of games but I am impressed at this thing. Soemof the games tested have been the following

1. Tomb Raider

2. Rise of the Tomb Raider

3. Divinity 2 Origins

4. Dota 2

5. Fortnite

Most of the games are tested at 1440p and 3200 x 1800p. At first I started humbly ay 1080p since I'd figure the Metal API and Open GL/CL aren't as well optimized as Direct X 11, 12 and Vulkan. And yes, clearly the frames under Windows are substantially better but way better than I expected.

Started with, Tomb Raider (2013) at the highest settings and pretty much over 60FPS up tp 100Fps, so I bumped the resolution to 1440p and still 58-60's with max frames at 90's. Then tries 4k, and kept highest on texture and dropped other settings and still low 50s- high 40's.

Divinity 2 I ran it pretty much at 1800p all graphic setting maxed out and it seems to be hitting constant 50-60's

Fortnite I ran it on 1440p and again max out super smooth.

Currently playing "Rise of the Tomb Raider" at 1800p resolution with custom settings with texture at very high and I am hitting 55-60FPS average with max 90's frames. Note: I have yet to see drop in frames on games so far, so call me surprised

Unigine Heaven, I got around 75-77 frames average on extreme settings

Note, I am not a gamer, but periodically I squeeze a game here and there. Now, I am not sure I have to boot windows for titles that run on mac. I mainly use it for graphic works especially since I can have 128 GB of ram on this thing.

Note about the GPU: The GPU is a desktop grade GPU not a watered down mobile card. Essentially is the same as the one in the Imac Pro. The differences on this card and the Imac pro to the PC desktop is the clocks of the card.

Useless tidbit: Vega 56 is GTX 1070 equivalent card/competitor, although the Vega 56 is faster in Direct X12 but slower on Direct x 11.

For those curious what laptop hackintosh I am using is the ACER Predator HELIOS 500 with Ryzen 7 2700 desktop CPU and Desktop SKU Vega 56 GPU

Mac OS: 10.14.6 Mojave

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
View attachment 5569Firstly, I am very impressed with this laptop hackintosh. I have several computers with various GPUs, from RTX 3080 TI, 2080 ti, GTX 1080, RX 6900 XT. All of these GPUS are great for gaming especially in windows.

BUT...I was wandering how my laptop Hackintosh would do, especially because the dedicated GPU is a Vega 56 with 8GB of video ram. Knowing that Macs in general don't sport great dedicated GPU's especially Macbooks (except the 5600m, buts a 50 watts card) I'd figure do some test.

HOLY CRAP! This thing can game! well at least so far. I have tested a limited amount of games but I am impressed at this thing. Soemof the games tested have been the following

1. Tomb Raider

2. Rise of the Tomb Raider

3. Divinity 2 Origins

4. Dota 2

5. Fortnite

Most of the games are tested at 1440p and 3200 x 1800p. At first I started humbly ay 1080p since I'd figure the Metal API and Open GL/CL aren't as well optimized as Direct X 11, 12 and Vulkan. And yes, clearly the frames under Windows are substantially better but way better than I expected.

Started with, Tomb Raider (2013) at the highest settings and pretty much over 60FPS up tp 100Fps, so I bumped the resolution to 1440p and still 58-60's with max frames at 90's. Then tries 4k, and kept highest on texture and dropped other settings and still low 50s- high 40's.

Divinity 2 I ran it pretty much at 1800p all graphic setting maxed out and it seems to be hitting constant 50-60's

Fortnite I ran it on 1440p and again max out super smooth.

Currently playing "Rise of the Tomb Raider" at 1800p resolution with custom settings with texture at very high and I am hitting 55-60FPS average with max 90's frames. Note: I have yet to see drop in frames on games so far, so call me surprised

Unigine Heaven, I got around 75-77 frames average on extreme settings

Note, I am not a gamer, but periodically I squeeze a game here and there. Now, I am not sure I have to boot windows for titles that run on mac. I mainly use it for graphic works especially since I can have 128 GB of ram on this thing.

Note about the GPU: The GPU is a desktop grade GPU not a watered down mobile card. Essentially is the same as the one in the Imac Pro. The differences on this card and the Imac pro to the PC desktop is the clocks of the card.

Useless tidbit: Vega 56 is GTX 1070 equivalent card/competitor, although the Vega 56 is faster in Direct X12 but slower on Direct x 11.

For those curious what laptop hackintosh I am using is the ACER Predator HELIOS 500 with Ryzen 7 2700 desktop CPU and Desktop SKU Vega 56 GPU

Mac OS: 10.14.6 Mojave
I am looking to install Monterey on a legion 5 with 6600m. How is your ryzen laptop doing and would you mind sharing your efi, thanks

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.