Is there a trick to running Parallels or VMWare on Ryzentosh?>

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
I have some Windows VMs I've been running under Parallels for some years on my Intel-based Hackintosh. I built a Ryzentosh a few weeks ago and was impressed with the performance upgrade of the 3900X over my Intel 9900K.

Everything works great except...virtualization. When I try to open any of my WIndows VMs in Parallels, it crashes the entire system, HARD. Even my backlit keyboard starts strobing, an interesting effect I've never seen before. Upgrading to the latest Parallels 16 didn't help.

I downloaded a trial version of VMWare and tried a new Windows 10 install. VMWare said it couldn't start the new VM because of an "error", the details of which apparently are an exercise for the reader.

Any ideas? It's not absolutely necessary that I have these VMs running on this particular machine, but it would be nice...

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You’d either have to use VMware Fusion 10 or VirtualBox.

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
Hm. The VMWare website only offers Fusion 11.5, and that doesn't seem to work...guess I'll see if I can migrate a Parallels VM to VirtualBox.

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
You’d either have to use VMware Fusion 10 or VirtualBox.

VirtualBox kinda works, but with Windows 10 the display is so screwed up and sluggish that it's unusable, even after installing the "accessories".

I found VMWare Fusion 10, but it has an even weirder problem: Windows runs in the little preview view inside the VMWare control window; the actual window it's supposed to be running in is solid black, even when expanded to full screen.

Absent other suggestions I guess Windows 10 virtualization on a Ryzentosh just isn't going to work.

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
VMWare Fusion 10 runs absolutely fine on AMD Hackintoshes, you just need to tinker with it a bit to get a working display. It's related to Screen Sharing Security option in MacOS (it doesn't ask for permission to record screen, hence the black screen). Try googling, I can't find it now.

SkuPa

AMD OS X Member
First install VM 11.5 and in Pref allow screen record (you are asked to allow S R), then uninstall VM11.5.
Screen record stays on in Preferences. Now instal VM10. I have 10.1.6 and it is working fine.
Virtualization/AMD-V must be enabled in your BIOS.

Last edited:

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
First install VM 11.5 and in Pref allow screen record (you are asked to allow S R), then uninstall VM11.5.
Screen record stays on in Preferences. Now instal VM10. I have 10.1.6 and it is working fine.

Virtualization is turned on in the BIOS (I assume VirtualBox wouldn't work otherwise).

However, any attemp to start a VM in VM11.5 results in a dialog box that says "The virtual machine requested power-off due to an error during initialization".

This happens when I attempt to create a new VM from a Windows 7 or Windows 10 ISO, as well as an imported Parallels Windows 7 VM...

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
VMWare Fusion 10 runs absolutely fine on AMD Hackintoshes, you just need to tinker with it a bit to get a working display. It's related to Screen Sharing Security option in MacOS (it doesn't ask for permission to record screen, hence the black screen). Try googling, I can't find it now.

A long thread on this here:

The solution involves manually adding a line to the internal SQLite database Mac OS uses to keep track of this stuff. Sadly, System Integrity Protection blocks changes to this database.

So, turn off SIP. Ha hah! This is allegedly possible in Opencore by inserting the correct value in the csr-active-config key. I've tried several different values, but none has worked so far. You'd think this would be a simple setting everyone would agree on. You'd be wrong.

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
Hm. Noticed that when I booted, the recovery volume was listed as an option.

So I booted into Recovery, opened the Terminal, typed "csrutil disable", rebooted, and was able to make the SQLite entries to get VMWare 8 working!

Not sure why booting into the Recovery volume wasn't mentioned in my searches...

SkuPa

AMD OS X Member
This method might not work with VMWare Fusion 11.5. I was using VMWare Fusion 11.0.1
It was very simple, just install VMWare Fusion 11.0.1, and in Preferences allow Screen Record (you are asked to allow S R), then uninstall VM11.0.1

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
As noted previously, I got it working by disabling SIP after booting from the Recovery partition. However, this seems to have introduced a new problem: about half of my USB ports no longer work.

On my Asus Crosshair VIII Impact motherboard, the four USB ports on the rear nearest the edge of the board-- where you'd normally plug in a keyboard and mouse-- work fine. The remaining 3 USB A and 1 USB C port no longer work.

So I opened "About this Mac" and clicked on the "System Report" button, then went to the USB section, which had previously shown my extant USB hubs and attached deviced. Now, though, it says simply "No information found".

Typing CSRUTIL STATUS in the terminal now returns: "System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Apple Internal)."

Previously, there was no "(Apple internal)" shown.

I think that disabling and then re-enabling SIP through the recovery console has somehow screwed something else up, but I have no idea what, and would appreciate any pointers...

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
I wound up fixing this problem by restoring my Catalina system volume from a backup. Crude, but effective. All my USB ports work again.

Of course this removed the Screen Recording and other permissions for VMWare, so I'm back to that.

I do wonder what disabling and re-enabling SIP through the Catalina recovery volume nuked. I verified that nothing in the EFI partition had changed...

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
I carefully went through the process again:

1. Boot into Recovery
2. Open Terminal and execute "csrutil disable"
3. Reboot into Mac OS.
4. Make three manual entries into the Sqlite database to give VMWare there permissions it needs, but doesn't ask for.
5. Reboot into Recovery
6. Execute "csrutil enable"
7. Reboot into Mac OS.

...and this time everything seems to be OK. I have no idea what the problem was the first time, except that something changed in one of the system files (since restoring the Catalina system volume from a backup fixed it). Keeping my fingers crossed.

H4L9000

AMD OS X Member
Cool. THANK you so much.
No I'm able to use my VMWare on Ryzentosh.
My 11.5 license is also valid for version 10. VMs work fine. Great!

iamprabhuantony

AMD OS X Member
I carefully went through the process again:

1. Boot into Recovery
2. Open Terminal and execute "csrutil disable"
3. Reboot into Mac OS.
4. Make three manual entries into the Sqlite database to give VMWare there permissions it needs, but doesn't ask for.
5. Reboot into Recovery
6. Execute "csrutil enable"
7. Reboot into Mac OS.

...and this time everything seems to be OK. I have no idea what the problem was the first time, except that something changed in one of the system files (since restoring the Catalina system volume from a backup fixed it). Keeping my fingers crossed.

How to do this?

Make three manual entries into the Sqlite database to give VMWare there permissions.

Please guide. Thank You!

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
The problem is that VMWare will not ask for permission to do screen recording, which is necessary for it to display the guest OS. I found this technique somewhere on the web; I did not originate it:

"
Hey guys.

After hours of research this solution works for me:

1. Install VMWare.
2. Restart computer and go to Recovery Mode (hold CMD+R when computer starts until you see an Apple logo).

Note: If you're using OpenCore, booting into the Recovery partition is an option on the boot picker. Select the Recovery volume there.

3. Go to top menu and choose Utilities and then Terminal.
4. Turn off SIP with this command:

csrutil disable

5. Go to top menu and choose Apple Logo and the Restart.
6. After macOS starts normally open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and paste this commands:

tccutil reset All com.vmware.fusion

sudo sqlite3 "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServiceScreenCapture", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

sudo sqlite3 "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServiceListenEvent", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

sudo sqlite3 "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServicePostEvent", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

7. Go to Recovery Mode (hold CMD+R when computer starts until you see an Apple logo).
8. Go to top menu and choose Utilities and then Terminal.
9. Turn on SIP with this command:

csrutil enable

10. Restart.

VMWare should works fine now."

ramezn

AMD OS X Member
The problem is that VMWare will not ask for permission to do screen recording, which is necessary for it to display the guest OS. I found this technique somewhere on the web; I did not originate it:

"
Hey guys.

After hours of research this solution works for me:

1. Install VMWare.
2. Restart computer and go to Recovery Mode (hold CMD+R when computer starts until you see an Apple logo).

Note: If you're using OpenCore, booting into the Recovery partition is an option on the boot picker. Select the Recovery volume there.

3. Go to top menu and choose Utilities and then Terminal.
4. Turn off SIP with this command:

csrutil disable

5. Go to top menu and choose Apple Logo and the Restart.
6. After macOS starts normally open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and paste this commands:

tccutil reset All com.vmware.fusion

sudo sqlite3 "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServiceScreenCapture", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

sudo sqlite3 "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServiceListenEvent", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

sudo sqlite3 "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServicePostEvent", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

7. Go to Recovery Mode (hold CMD+R when computer starts until you see an Apple logo).
8. Go to top menu and choose Utilities and then Terminal.
9. Turn on SIP with this command:

csrutil enable

10. Restart.

VMWare should works fine now."
What version of VMware Fusion worked for you?

That's great. Thank you.

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
What version of VMware Fusion worked for you?

That's great. Thank you.
The current versions of Fusion will not work on the AMD Ryzen; you'll need to get version 10.1.6, which is the latest that will work.

This is a little involved: I had to buy VMWare 12, and then "downgrade" the license to work on VMWare 10. VMWare has a procecure for this (search on their web site) and I assume it will still work with the licenses they issue for the newly-free-for-private-use VMWare 12.

You can also find VMWare 10 on their site if you look around.

Good luck!

macair

AMD OS X Member
After 3 hours this is what i get. ryzen 7 2700x X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING gtx 770 big sur 11.01

Last edited:

macair

AMD OS X Member
is there a way to manualy install with pacifist maybe

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.