Is It Safe To Upgrade to 12.2?

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Is it safe to upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 if opencore and all kexts are up to date?

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Are you using the RestictEvents.kext? Maybe using that kext might help.

Also here are methods used to change the CPU name in About this Mac (other than with the RestrictEvents.kext), which I am sure could be adapted to do the same for your memory speed, if you really want to go that far.

IIRC, you would need to disable SIP and reset Nvram, AppleSystemInfo.framework needs to be copied to the desktop before it can be edited, a new snapshot of the Monterey/Big Sur drive has to be created which includes the edited framework, you then need to make sure you boot from the new snapshot.

This to me sounded like a lot of faffing for not a lot of gain, and what gain there is only being cosmetic in nature. But in case you really want to do this here is a thread that helped someone rename their CPU - https://forum.amd-osx.com/index.php?threads/processor-unknown.1389/
Yeah I am just going to leave it, everything is working decent as far as Monterey goes so I agree, best to leave it alone.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
were you able to get screen mirroring and universal control to work on 12.3? Under 12.2 I was able to screen mirror to my apple tv 4k (But not to any of my M1 Ipads) but now its just blank screen then errors like it does on the ipads.

I've not got a supported iPad to test on. Also nothing to screen share with. Android TV doesn't support it.

clover84

AMD OS X Member
My experience was far from perfect. As far as it gets.
1. OTA Monterey just wouldn't install on top of Big Sur. Never got passed the first reboot. I've updated OC, all kexts, edited config.plist etc.
2. After a lot of tinkering it finally updated. And then I realized I had no network. Zero. No wifi (fenvi), and no ethernet (RTL 8125). Seemed like the kexts were just not loading.
3. I've wasted around 12 hours trying to figure out the problem, even updated my bios firmware, nothing worked.

In the end I had to kill the monterey partition and install big sur again. Couldn't find any solutions or at least a mention of the same problem as mine with network :/
MSI MEG Unify x570

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@clover84 There are plenty of reports on this site of MSI boards having issues with macOS Monterey. With the expectation that people with MSI boards will remain on Big Sur, until a fix is provided, via OpenCore or an MSI bios update. But neither of those will happen until the exact cause of the issue(s) facing owners of MSI motherboards is confirmed.

Same goes for the Ethernet issues in Monterey.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
So, 12.2.1 is out. Anyone hit upgrade yet? 😇 EDIT Turns out that anyone was me. About 20 minutes later, no issues.

Last edited:

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
So, 12.2.1 is out. Anyone hit upgrade yet? 😇 EDIT Turns out that anyone was me. About 20 minutes later, no issues.
All mine did the 12.2.1 upgrade with no issues as well.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.