Intel I211 on Monterey

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I don't have an Intel 2.5Gb Ethernet port on my AMD motherboard, but just wanted to see what would happen if I installed a secondary Ethernet card in a Monterey 12.x system. I didn't disable the existing built-in Ethernet port.

I decided to install the NC110T as I found that AppleIntelE1000e.kext would work with the Intel 82572GI controller.
  • I installed the HP PCIe NIC in a spare x8 slot (all that was available)
  • Booted in to Monterey using OpenCore 0.7.5.
  • The new NIC wasn't discovered by macOS, not surprising.
  • I then downloaded AppleIntelE1000e.kext.
  • Mounted the EFI partition on my macOS SSD
  • Copied the AppleIntelE1000e.kext to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder
  • Added an entry to the config.plist for the kext, using ProperTree's OC Clean Snapshot feature.
  • Saved the config.plist and rebooted the system.
After the system rebooted.
  • Navigated to System Preferences > Network pane, to see that the NIC was not added automatically.
  • So I clicked the '+' sign at the base of the list of Network devices and added a 2nd Ethernet device, which appears in the list of available devices.
  • Selected the 'Apply' button to confirm the creation of the new Ethernet2 device.
  • The Ethernet card was immediately provided with an IP address and set as en2. The original Ethernet was set with en0 and my WiFi is set with en1.
  • Navigated to 'About this Mac' > System Information > Ethernet report, to see what if anything had changed.
  • The new NIC was showing with the name 'Ethernet', with the AppleIntelE1000.kext loaded.
  • I could browse the Internet and my local network using the port.
Hackintool application & Built-In setting.
  • The new Ethernet port now showed up in the Hackintool > System > Peripherals, but the device was not showing as 'Built-In', like the WiFi and other Ethernet port.
  • I navigated to the Hackintool > PCIe tab and Updated the PCIID's (looks like download icon) in the PCIe device list.
  • I then used the Export function icon, to export the PCIe data from Hackintool.
    • The Export function creates 4 files on the desktop.
      • pcidevices.dsl
      • pcidevices.json
      • pcidevices.plist, and
      • pcidevices.txt
  • I opened the pcidevices.plist file with ProperTree and found the 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) device section.
  • The Device Path for new Ethernet was PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1.0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
  • Mounted the EFI partition on my macOS drive.
  • Opened my OC config.plist with ProperTree and navigated to the DeviceProperties > Add section.
  • I copied the 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) device section in the pcidevices.plist to the DeviceProperties > Add section in my config.plist.
  • Added a new child under the PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1.0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0) section.
  • Named the new child 'built-in' > Data > <01>.
  • Changed the AAPL,slot-name entry from 'Internal@0,20,0' to something I would understand, 'PCIE x8 slot-3'
  • Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 14.53.45.png
  • Saved the changes to the config, closed ProperTree and rebooted the system.
Finished article.
New Ethernet port shows as Built-in in Hackintool > System > Peripherals.

Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 14.36.25.png Hackintool> System > Peripherals

This may feel like we need to jump through a lot of hoops to get the desired result - a working Ethernet port on MacOS Monterey! But it is a lot less hassle than reinstalling macOS Big Sur and all the apps and settings to get a system back up and running.

There are other Intel Gigabite Ethernet cards available, using similar chipsets, most if not all can work in macOS in the same manner, with the correct kext.

Aledky91

AMD OS X Member
I have managed to connect with usb wifi and at the moment everything is perfect. I'll be using this until the ethernet problems are fixed.
Thank you very much

ddk

AMD OS X Member
Not working for me Monterey 12.2.1 ethernet i211 Asus rog zynith 2 TRX40
nothing detected.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

ddk

AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk Thx for your answer , im using AppleIGB.kext 5.7.2
I wished to be one of the lucky members who reported success .😔

I211 Gigabit Network Connection:
Name: ethernet
Type: Ethernet controller
Driver Installed: No
MSI: No
Slot: Internal@2,1,1/0,0/4,0/0,0
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x1539
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1043
Subsystem ID: 0x85f0
Revision ID: 0x0003

Last edited:

ddk

AMD OS X Member
Most likely because of USB mapping problems , macos Monterey dropped few USB hub I can't get them back

Aledky91

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone

I've been doing some tests with this kext and the connection drops only when it's "1000BaseT" and "Duplex". A couple of days ago I set it to "100BaseTX" and "SemiDuplex". The connection has not been cut again.

It's annoying that I can't use the full strength of my internet connection (1gb) but at least it works at 100mb

charliebounce

AMD OS X Member
I don't have an Intel 2.5Gb Ethernet port on my AMD motherboard, but just wanted to see what would happen if I installed a secondary Ethernet card in a Monterey 12.x system. I didn't disable the existing built-in Ethernet port.

I decided to install the NC110T as I found that AppleIntelE1000e.kext would work with the Intel 82572GI controller.
  • I installed the HP PCIe NIC in a spare x8 slot (all that was available)
  • Booted in to Monterey using OpenCore 0.7.5.
  • The new NIC wasn't discovered by macOS, not surprising.
  • I then downloaded AppleIntelE1000e.kext.
  • Mounted the EFI partition on my macOS SSD
  • Copied the AppleIntelE1000e.kext to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder
  • Added an entry to the config.plist for the kext, using ProperTree's OC Clean Snapshot feature.
  • Saved the config.plist and rebooted the system.
After the system rebooted.
  • Navigated to System Preferences > Network pane, to see that the NIC was not added automatically.
  • So I clicked the '+' sign at the base of the list of Network devices and added a 2nd Ethernet device, which appears in the list of available devices.
  • Selected the 'Apply' button to confirm the creation of the new Ethernet2 device.
  • The Ethernet card was immediately provided with an IP address and set as en2. The original Ethernet was set with en0 and my WiFi is set with en1.
  • Navigated to 'About this Mac' > System Information > Ethernet report, to see what if anything had changed.
  • The new NIC was showing with the name 'Ethernet', with the AppleIntelE1000.kext loaded.
  • I could browse the Internet and my local network using the port.
Hackintool application & Built-In setting.
  • The new Ethernet port now showed up in the Hackintool > System > Peripherals, but the device was not showing as 'Built-In', like the WiFi and other Ethernet port.
  • I navigated to the Hackintool > PCIe tab and Updated the PCIID's (looks like download icon) in the PCIe device list.
  • I then used the Export function icon, to export the PCIe data from Hackintool.
    • The Export function creates 4 files on the desktop.
      • pcidevices.dsl
      • pcidevices.json
      • pcidevices.plist, and
      • pcidevices.txt
  • I opened the pcidevices.plist file with ProperTree and found the 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) device section.
  • The Device Path for new Ethernet was PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1.0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
  • Mounted the EFI partition on my macOS drive.
  • Opened my OC config.plist with ProperTree and navigated to the DeviceProperties > Add section.
  • I copied the 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) device section in the pcidevices.plist to the DeviceProperties > Add section in my config.plist.
  • Added a new child under the PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1.0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0) section.
  • Named the new child 'built-in' > Data > <01>.
  • Changed the AAPL,slot-name entry from 'Internal@0,20,0' to something I would understand, 'PCIE x8 slot-3'
  • Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 14.53.45.png
  • Saved the changes to the config, closed ProperTree and rebooted the system.
Finished article.
New Ethernet port shows as Built-in in Hackintool > System > Peripherals.

Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 14.36.25.png Hackintool> System > Peripherals

This may feel like we need to jump through a lot of hoops to get the desired result - a working Ethernet port on MacOS Monterey! But it is a lot less hassle than reinstalling macOS Big Sur and all the apps and settings to get a system back up and running.

There are other Intel Gigabite Ethernet cards available, using similar chipsets, most if not all can work in macOS in the same manner, with the correct kext.
Hi @Edhawk, I bought the same HP card and it doesn't work quite as well for me. It drops out immediately as soon as it is put under heavy usage. Sometimes it just drops out randomly.
I also purchased the TP-Link TG-3468 (RTL8168) and this card has had impeccable performance since I got it. Therefore it is the one that I would recommended. No sure if it has all the bells and whistles that the intel cards have but network performance is consistently high and reliable.
The other Intel card that I purchased is the Intel 82574GE (which I permanently changed the divide ID in Linux so I can use Apple's Intel82574L.kext). Sadly this one also drops out occasionally.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I haven't seen any issues with the HP Ethernet card I am using. I undertook a number of large data transfers across my home network to and from my Mac server (HP ML10 Gen9), with no issues.

But that is one of the things with Hackintosh setups, devices don't always work the same in every system.

Good you found an alternative Realtek card that works reliably in macOS. As others can now opt for the TP-Link Realtek card instead of the HP Intel card.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.