Installer does nothing after selecting drive.

YaKillaCJ

AMD OS X Member
Basically like title says. I get to the part of select the drive. Then it just goes back to the Menu (macOS Utilities). I tested the networking works because I can go to the help option and use Safari to reach any website. Ive used the same installer on another AMD build and it works great, Even then made a full install from within the working Catalina and got same error.
Machine getting error is AMD 3700x, Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, XFX Vega 56 Reference. The machine that it works fine on is an AMD 2700x, Asrock B450m Pro4, XFX RX 580. The installer doesnt do it on my other computer tho. I should also note that a year or so back, I was successfully able to install High Sierra using the Clover method found here : https://hackintosher.com/guides/amd-ryzen-hackintosh-guide-installing-macos-high-sierra-10-13/
However I want a nice clean install.
Not sure what other details I can include.

YaKillaCJ

AMD OS X Member
OK so I tried it again. I was having issues with my power supply goin bad, CMOS battery died. Fixed that and all my previous issues are fine. I still have the same issue and this time the installer is a full version made from within MacOS (compatible offline). Its still displaying the same error. Thing is I can do the install on my other machine, transfer over the drive and it boots but I get a ACPI error.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
What guide did you use? What drive are you installing to? If it's NVMe make sure it's firmware is upto date.

YaKillaCJ

AMD OS X Member
Open Core Official Guide https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/
The install worked w/o a hiccup on my streaming rig: R7 2700x, Asrock Pro 4 B450m, RX 580 Adata 128gb NVMe (not a fast 1).
The Computer I really want it on is a R7 3700x, Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, Vega 56

I initially tried with an NVMe WD Black 500gb (like when it first came out). I also just got a new NVMe Intel 665p 1tb. The 665 doesnt have a firmware update.
Thanx for the reply.

Buddy of mine at work (who kno macos) also had me try a data/time change in terminal. Tho my CMOS battery been replaced. Would it make since to do the install on the other computer, then move the drive over, since it boots just fine. The ACPI error was an issue that pops up tho. That and networking didnt work but I believe that just a kext to fix.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
What ACPI error do you mean? But yes you could install it to the drive with the other system then move it over.

YaKillaCJ

AMD OS X Member
Ok so I have installed it by using my other computer to do the install up until it ask me to pick language, region, account name, etc. Everything working as expected from what I can tell so far.

When I boot, I get a "Warning! Your computer is now running on ups backup battery power. Save your documents and shut down soon." at the login screen. Sleep works fine and Ive done overnight idling. Is this something I can remove the warning of and ignore. Also I dont have an backup battery.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
What USB devices are connected. Check with System Information. It can sometimes mistake Corsair hubs for a UPS for some reason.

YaKillaCJ

AMD OS X Member
Wanna start by saying thanx @Shaneee, what ya do for the community is awesome.

Definitely have Corsair things plugged in lol. Commander Pro is likely the culprit. I also have a Corsair keyboard, mouse, mousepad, ram.
Is their something I can turn off or change in MacOS alone. Obviously dont wanna unplug the thing lol. Also I didnt do the USB Fix as everything is working. I have every plug in use +hubs and everything picking up smoothly. I been installed iCue which appears to be working fine except it didnt pick up all 5 items.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
The commander pro is a known issue with macOS, I think the most suggested fix is to disable the port with an SSDT for macOS so it still works in windows if you dual boot. The iCue software for Mac only works with keyboards and mice at this time. It has been like this for a while now, I don't think they have any plans to expand support, since Macs don't come with motherboard rgb or fans with rgb. It would be nice if they would support things like mousepads and headsets though.

YaKillaCJ

AMD OS X Member
Got it, thanx ^_^

uzikhan

AMD OS X Member
Basically like title says. I get to the part of select the drive. Then it just goes back to the Menu (macOS Utilities). I tested the networking works because I can go to the help option and use Safari to reach any website. Ive used the same installer on another AMD build and it works great, Even then made a full install from within the working Catalina and got same error.
Machine getting error is AMD 3700x, Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, XFX Vega 56 Reference. The machine that it works fine on is an AMD 2700x, Asrock B450m Pro4, XFX RX 580. The installer doesnt do it on my other computer tho. I should also note that a year or so back, I was successfully able to install High Sierra using the Clover method found here : https://hackintosher.com/guides/amd-ryzen-hackintosh-guide-installing-macos-high-sierra-10-13/
However I want a nice clean install.
Not sure what other details I can include.
I had the exact same thing happening, used @AudioGod 's EFI and trued up mine to it, then perfected it dortania guide. But was still getting the same behavior. Next tried with macOS 11.5 (beta) installer and boom it worked.

I have Commander Pro installed - and it remained plugged in throughout the macOS install process. macOS post install sees it as a UPS :) but I have seen that mentioned in posts too.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.